Treats on special occasions

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
**Edited to remove SweetLucie's post, at her request.**
Whoa, SweetLucie!

Kim is doing great, and jumping down her throat doesn't achieve anything. You don't know her and the example of that guy's complications is worlds away from Kim's situation. Having read almost every post she's made here so far, she seems to me to be a sensible person who won't jeopardise her health. Anyway it doesn't matter what others think, it's her life!

There are ways to say something positively... I bet if I said things like you have in this thread I'd be shot down in flames.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
We're all alarmed by hearing about severe complications, but that doesn't mean a newbie having one meal off plan needs to be chastised for it. A little perspective can go a long way.

Reactions: 5 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Back to the OP's original question. Of course not, and don't let the Google experts try to convince you otherwise. If one day having your BG go to 10.5 for an hour is dangerous, then we will all be on the path to serious complications because all of us would have had much higher levels for weeks pre-diagnosis.

For me your question is just a state of mind. It's what you think and how you react that matters.

For me, I would not consider the meal you had a treat or a cheat. For me it would just be a day in my life, and a meal out to celebrate an occasion where I tried to make the best choices available within the confines of my chosen eating pattern.

To call it a "treat" and then to start wondering how many I can "get away with" would for me be the start of a rocky road towards falling off my chosen path completely.

I know I will be faced with choices as to what to eat on hundreds of occasions over the coming years, and I will hopefully make the best choices possible in the circumstances. I'm certainly not going to avoid party's, weddings, anniversaries or other special events just because I am "special" and everyone has to make allowances for me.

So my advice would be, don't call these events Treats or Cheats. Don't put a special significance on them, but consider them part of the journey and a time when you made the best decisions possible under the circumstances.

And definitely don't think eating a mouthful of Naan bread is going to make your leg fall off

Reactions: 18 people

KimG

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We're all alarmed by hearing about severe complications, but that doesn't mean a newbie having one meal off plan needs to be chastised for it. A little perspective can go a long way.
Thank you for your support CatLadyNZ. I'm still vulnerable and scared right now, though it's getting better. I do value the help that is given on the forum and like to have the full picture before I make decisions. I have had other health problems this this year, nothing to do with weight, diet or diabetes. This news of diabetes was all I needed this month. I've always found you and others very supportive x

Reactions: 11 people

KimG

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Back to the OP's original question. Of course not, and don't let the Google experts try to convince you otherwise. If one day having your BG go to 10.5 for an hour is dangerous, then we will all be on the path to serious complications because all of us would have had much higher levels for weeks pre-diagnosis.

For me your question is just a state of mind. It's what you think and how you react that matters.

For me, I would not consider the meal you had a treat or a cheat. For me it would just be a day in my life, and a meal out to celebrate an occasion where I tried to make the best choices available within the confines of my chosen eating pattern.

To call it a "treat" and then to start wondering how many I can "get away with" would for me be the start of a rocky road towards falling off my chosen path completely.

I know I will be faced with choices as to what to eat on hundreds of occasions over the coming years, and I will hopefully make the best choices possible in the circumstances. I'm certainly not going to avoid party's, weddings, anniversaries or other special events just because I am "special" and everyone has to make allowances for me.

So my advice would be, don't call these events Treats or Cheats. Don't put a special significance on them, but consider them part of the journey and a time when you made the best decisions possible under the circumstances.

And definitely don't think eating a mouthful of Naan bread is going to make your leg fall off
Thank you British pub x

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Re: occasions, when my father died, the after-funeral eats were held at a quaint thatched country pub. My mother consulted the chef prior to the funeral, who came up with low carb buffet things for me to eat.

I was shocked when members of my extended family actually complained that I was being treated differently. However, just as people who are gluten-free or vegetarian get dietary concessions, I think we should too. It's up to us to educate them though.

Reactions: 8 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Good luck to you Kim, I've been type 2 for almost 10yrs and have suffered no complications so far, despite eating all the wrong things through lack of knowledge. I think you have a great attitude and, I'm sure that the more you learn about your condition the easier it will become to control it. I've just started low carbing and testing my blood sugar levels too - we'll do it together - with the help of all the experienced posters encouragement. X

Reactions: 10 people

KimG

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good luck to you Kim, I've been type 2 for almost 10yrs and have suffered no complications so far, despite eating all the wrong things through lack of knowledge. I think you have a great attitude and, I'm sure that the more you learn about your condition the easier it will become to control it. I've just started low carbing and testing my blood sugar levels too - we'll do it together - with the help of all the experienced posters encouragement. X
;) LCHF is good and it works. We need the forum the help and educate us, it's the biggest tool we have. In turn, when we're more experienced, we can support other newbies coming in. I do that anyway, with the basic information I have as you want to feel your not alone.

Reactions: 9 people

KimG

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That came out wrong lol

You want them to feel that they are not alone.

It's early!

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I'm still vulnerable and scared right now, though it's getting better. I do value the help that is given on the forum and like to have the full picture before I make decisions. I have had other health problems this this year, nothing to do with weight, diet or diabetes.

You'll be fine. Stick with us ....

@13lizanne ... nice suit :) A7L

Reactions: 7 people

debdebc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This forum is great and I do not know how I would have coped without it in the last 6 weeks. People are kind and patient. What I would say is this - please be gentle with us, we are newbies and feel a little bit lost ;)

We are asking questions as we do not know the answers, its all a bit scary and we are trying to do the right thing with this life changing diagnosis.

Deb :)

KimG

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This forum is great and I do not know how I would have coped without it in the last 6 weeks. People are kind and patient. What I would say is this - please be gentle with us, we are newbies and feel a little bit lost ;)

We are asking questions as we do not know the answers, its all a bit scary and we are trying to do the right thing with this life changing diagnosis.

Deb :)
Well said Deb x

Reactions: 4 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My favourite treats are all low carb. 99% chocolate, raspberries, cream, cheese, San Pellegrino sparkling mineral water. etc. I don't plan to have carby treats for special occasions, instead I sometimes have things that I wouldn't normally have if there is no reasonable alternative. So this may happen out of the blue when I'm not expecting it. For instance, if eating out and there was no great low carb alternative, I would just do my best to make the meal as low carb as possible and then not beat myself up about the fact that maybe I ate a third of the batter on the fish.

You will find what works best for you. I always found if I planned a treat then I didn't really enjoy it and then an occasion just like what I have detailed above would crop up soon afterwards and I would feel guilty. So no planned treats for me, just a few unexpected, guilt free deviations from the overall plan as and when they happen. :)

Reactions: 10 people

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Jumping on a bit late, but yes, I agree - we are "know-littles", but we're trying to learn and I've had amazing help and support from people here and am very grateful.

Happy anniversary, KimG - it was ours on Tuesday - those feet in my avatar have been married for 15 years. We also had a bit of an Indian food slip from the wagon to celebrate. I really thought about what we'd have and managed to come up with something not too far from LCHF, but just far enough to feel naughty! I'm back to behaving myself now. Good girl badge, anyone..? :p

Reactions: 12 people

KimG

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Jumping on a bit late, but yes, I agree - we are "know-littles", but we're trying to learn and I've had amazing help and support from people here and am very grateful.

Happy anniversary, KimG - it was ours on Tuesday - those feet in my avatar have been married for 15 years. We also had a bit of an Indian food slip from the wagon to celebrate. I really thought about what we'd have and managed to come up with something not too far from LCHF, but just far enough to feel naughty! I'm back to behaving myself now. Good girl badge, anyone..? :p
Thank you. We had an Indian buffet for ours and nice it was too, now back to my new lifestyle ;) I've lost another lb since then :)

Reactions: 9 people

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
Thank you for your support CatLadyNZ. I'm still vulnerable and scared right now, though it's getting better. I do value the help that is given on the forum and like to have the full picture before I make decisions. I have had other health problems this this year, nothing to do with weight, diet or diabetes. This news of diabetes was all I needed this month. I've always found you and others very supportive x

Hi Kim and a massive welcome to the forum.

The first and main thing regarding this illness is that the complications you hear about are normally a result of high blood sugars, continually over a period of months and years. You will not go blind, have kidney failure, loose all feelings in your feet and hands or have anything chopped off as a result of a few more grains of rice or the odd couple of squares of chocolate !

I am a strong advocate of having treats. I am Type 1 and have been so for nearly three and a half decades and everything (in reason) is still in working order. I still work full time and I live a full and active life.

Last night I had a chocolate éclair and tomorrow evening I will be going out with friends for an Italian. And yes I will be having garlic bread as a starter and I will probably have a panna cotta for desert.

And yes, sometimes I will premeditate taking more insulin to have something I fancy.

We are all different and we will all have our own opinions based on our own experiences but that gives no one any right to judge the other.

Don't be scared, it is ok to treat yourself once and a while. I see absolutely no point whatsoever in obsessing so much about having perfect control that you don't live. Diabetes is an illness, not a ball and chain to drag around with you everywhere you go !

If your sugars are generally within range have that treat and enjoy it.

Your mental well being is equally as important as your physical Kim.

Wishing all the very very best on your voyage with us :)

Kev

KimG

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Kim and a massive welcome to the forum.

The first and main thing regarding this illness is that the complications you hear about are normally a result of high blood sugars, continually over a period of months and years. You will not go blind, have kidney failure, loose all feelings in your feet and hands or have anything chopped off as a result of a few more grains of rice or the odd couple of squares of chocolate !

I am a strong advocate of having treats. I am Type 1 and have been so for nearly three and a half decades and everything (in reason) is still in working order. I still work full time and I live a full and active life.

Last night I had a chocolate éclair and tomorrow evening I will be going out with friends for an Italian. And yes I will be having garlic bread as a starter and I will probably have a panna cotta for desert.

And yes, sometimes I will premeditate taking more insulin to have something I fancy.

We are all different and we will all have our own opinions based on our own experiences but that gives no one any right to judge the other.

Don't be scared, it is ok to treat yourself once and a while. I see absolutely no point whatsoever in obsessing so much about having perfect control that you don't live. Diabetes is an illness, not a ball and chain to drag around with you everywhere you go !

If your sugars are generally within range have that treat and enjoy it.

Your mental well being is equally as important as your physical Kim.

Wishing all the very very best on your voyage with us :)

Kev
Thank you Kevin. I'm ok on this low carb diet. It's taken three weeks to get used to it, and I know when to have a little snack. I will have little treats, a little bit of plain chocolate (couple of squares) at the end of each week and obviously account for them. I had a couple of frankfurters today (1 carb) they are not very big, with a mixed lettuce salad and vinaigrette, and a cup of home made broccoli and Stilton soup. Chilli on cabbage tonight with sugar free jelly and a little cream. I do eat well and within my 53 carb limit, so I don't think about other foods much.

Thank you for your support, it's very much appreciated. :);)

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. We had an Indian buffet for ours and nice it was too, now back to my new lifestyle ;) I've lost another lb since then :)

Rock and roll! Well done, you - get yourself a gold star! (Why isn't there a gold star smiley?)

Reactions: 7 people

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are doing great Kim you obviously have the right attitude to your diabetes and what you eat ,not like a friend of ours with diabetes who was told by his nurse that he could have a treat every so often .When he comes to us each week he brings a pack of 4 cakes for himself and my husband ,he has 2 or 3chocolate biscuits on a Sunday and goodness knows what in the week ! Because his nurse says it is ok !
CAROL

Reactions: 8 people