URGENT-Refused Insulin

amj789

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi-I had made a total of 3 (valid and non abusive) complaints to my GP surgery this year-none of which they responded to. Then I had appointment on Monday-during which I was angrily ordered to leave the practice because of the complaints and because I had asked on a local Facebook page for recommendations for a new GP. It was shocking after being there since 2007 (previously zero complaints made in all that time).
The new practice I registered with said I have to get at least a months supply of all meds before they can prescribe for me...but my old surgery are behaving very poorly- ignoring my requests for Insulin for over a week now. I am going to run out and do not know what to do? Is there any other source I can be prescribed Insulin from. Desperate here-hope someone can help
Thanks

UPDATE-I have insulin again!!! My daughter was so furious-she rang the Practice Manager and asked if a preventable death would be good media for them....next thing..there is a prescription for me...
What a shame both surgeries didn't seem to care....

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people
M

mrspuddleduck

Who at the new practice told you that? I would make an urgent appointment at your new GPs, take a copy of one of your old GP prescriptions and explain in person that you need a script for insulin or you'll run out. I know how stressing and upsetting this situation must be but if possible avoid criticising your old GP to your new one. Rightly or wrongly, first impressions last!! Good luck, Sue xxx

Reactions: 2 people

amj789

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Who at the new practice told you that? I would make an urgent appointment at your new GPs, take a copy of one of your old GP prescriptions and explain in person that you need a script for insulin or you'll run out. I know how stressing and upsetting this situation must be but if possible avoid criticising your old GP to your new one. Rightly or wrongly, first impressions last!! Good luck, Sue xxx
I totally agree with you- I have not-and will not-share details/specifics about my former surgery to anybody-just want to leave and forget all about it.
It was the receptionist who told me...
A good idea to make an appointment-but I wont be their patient for a week from yesterday when I handed in my registration..going to run out before then unfortunately. Will try again with the new surgery-Thank you

Reactions: 2 people
M

mrspuddleduck

Phone them and tell them the receptionist that you are really sorry and you know you are only just registering with them but you are an insulin dependent diabetic and a problem has arisen with your insulin. The receptionist shouldn't query that and should give you an emergency appointment with either a GP or the diabetic practice nurse. At my practice the very least they would do is get the diabetic nurse to phone me back. If its like mine, you will have to call about 8.30 am to get it sorted the same day. Sue xx

Reactions: 6 people

muggle666

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
could you not phone the diabetic clinic and speak to a nurse there and explain, they may be able to help you out, mine have been great with things like insulin and bg strips, i would certainly try hope you get this sorted very quickly, good luck x

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
Just spoken with my daughter (NHSempoyed) & she says as soon as you handed your registeration in you became a patient and could at that time have made an appointment to see a gp. It's only two days to weekend so you need to contact them. The receptionist has no power to decide whether or not you can see a doctor, just tell them you need an emergency appointment and it's private, you do not have to explain yourself to receptionists

Last edited by a moderator:

amj789

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you-receptionist said I was not a patient for a week-but anything is worth a go at this point! prtty scary to think I could end up without any...
Many thanks

Reactions: 3 people

amj789

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
could you not phone the diabetic clinic and speak to a nurse there and explain, they may be able to help you out, mine have been great with things like insulin and bg strips, i would certainly try hope you get this sorted very quickly, good luck x
Im going to try every single suggestion in the morning-and surely one of them will help-thank you

amj789

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Phone them and tell them the receptionist that you are really sorry and you know you are only just registering with them but you are an insulin dependent diabetic and a problem has arisen with your insulin. The receptionist shouldn't query that and should give you an emergency appointment with either a GP or the diabetic practice nurse. At my practice the very least they would do is get the diabetic nurse to phone me back. If its like mine, you will have to call about 8.30 am to get it sorted the same day. Sue xx
I had already told her it was for my insulin-she shook her head and said i had to get if from former GP-not a great start witha new practice-but will try again-might get a different person! :)

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have no knowledge of insulin but I have in the past run low or out of other meds and my chemist has given me an emergency supply, after phoning my surgery and getting them to fax a prescription through. The promise of a prescription by fax was enough for them to dispense the prescription on the spot. This might be another option for you - and let the pharmacy sort it out with the surgeries.

Don't worry. There has to be a solution

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
worst comes to worst you will have to go to your hospital and explain there, hopefully it will not come to that

muggle666

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i would ask to speak to the manager at the group practice and explain to them at both surgery's, they have a duty of care to patients and they must adhere to this by law. other wise they are breaking their own code of practice and this could result in you being very ill. the receptionists seem to be a law unto themselves and think that they are above reproach they are not, you could also ask for a telephone appointment with a gp if they cannot see you, hope this helps x

Reactions: 12 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Personally I would turn up in person, thump the receptionist and find another practice. If the receptionist is that stupid about critical conditions, what can you expect going forward. They should at least have offered an emergency appointment (as is standard in other practices I have used when forgetting insulin).

Reactions: 8 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
A bit hard sometimes to het to speak to a Practice Manager.. May need a bit of gentle perseverance to do so.

Reactions: 4 people

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi have you thought about ringing 111 and explaining your predicament? Or calling in at a drop in centre and explaining the problem you have. They should be able to access your medical records and see that you are I salon dependant. 111 usually take all your details and then pass the information to a doctor who calls you back the NHS doctor can even call your old practice for you. Hope you get it sorted soon you must be really stressed out which is going to impact on your health.

Reactions: 8 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
One of the features of a good complaints system is that people can make complaints without fear or favour. Once your insulin is sorted, I would take this matter further with the health complaints body you have in the UK. In NZ there is an independent Office of the Health and Disability Commissioner and people can contact them and things get sorted out really well. It's completely out of order the way you have been treated.

All the suggestions above are good ones. I hope things gets sorted quickly and easily for you.

Reactions: 13 people

Rob2006Scott

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't you just love medical receptionists! My DSN has written a prescription for me and this was dispensed at the hospital pharmacy. Good luck.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I also thought that once you'd signed up to your new dr they owe you duty of care. Goodluck and persist. Very upsetting to hear this still happens in 2015.

amj789

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
One of the features of a good complaints system is that people can make complaints without fear or favour. Once your insulin is sorted, I would take this matter further with the health complaints body you have in the UK. In NZ there is an independent Office of the Health and Disability Commissioner and people can contact them and things get sorted out really well. It's completely out of order the way you have been treated.

All the suggestions above are good ones. I hope things gets sorted quickly and easily for you.

Thanks CatLady-I will certainly be raising this incident to a higher level-cannot believe the attitude from the receptionists
I updated the original thread-as I now have insulin! Phew :)