1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

URGENT-Refused Insulin

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by amj789, Sep 9, 2015.

1. amj789

amj789 Type 2 · Member

I was ready to try anything-but my daughter got it sorted for me today :) Thanks

2. amj789

amj789 Type 2 · Member

Yep-I really do wish GP reception staff did not consider themselves a special breed far higher than us mere patients....!!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Frank M

Frank M Type 2 · Newbie

If a member of the reception staff or practice admin staff did not pass your request for insulin on to a GP they are grossly negligent, as they are not registered medical practitioners or registered nurses they are in no position to make that judgement. If the request was refused by a GP who is a registered medical practitioner I would consider this a case for investigation by the General Medical Council who are the registration body for all doctors and surgeons practising in the UK. Deliberately leaving a patient without essential medication is not only negligent but could also be considered a criminal act. Once you are under the care of your new practice you could consider taking the matter up with the General Medical Council.

• Like Like x 4
  4. SimonJohannes

SimonJohannes Type 1 · Newbie

In Canada they understand Insulin is life or death. You can go to any walk-in clinic and get a script. You can even buy it over the counter at a drug store with needles. Wow I am shocked you couldn't get you life saving meds easier.
    All the best hope you get this taken care of permanently.

5. ButtterflyLady

ButtterflyLady Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Are you sure about being able to buy it over the counter? That's potentially dangerous because insulin can be misused. When I had a diabetic cat and had to buy needles, I found I could only get them on prescription here.

6. foxhaven19

foxhaven19 Type 2 · Member

Just because someone has a medical degree doesn't mean that they are not a pillock. Just mentioning the BMA complaints procedure usually gets very quick results.

7. Xan2cv

Xan2cv Type 2 · Member

Can't believe that no-body has mentioned you can get emergency vials of insulin from your
    usual chemist they will sub you some if push gets to shove waiting for an appointment at the new surgery.
    They usually keep an extra box or two of each type of insulin just in case somebody needs some. I had similar probs with my
    old surgery who put me on a different insulin I reacted badly to it and they wouldn't change me back to the old insulin Then they wrote to me and said they couldn't treat me and asked me to leave leaving me on the wrong insulin that was creating large sore red bumps on the surface of my skin when I injected it.

so I changed doctors and the Diabetic Nurse I see now is the best Ive ever had in the 6-7 years ive been on insulin smashing lady she listens to what I think instead of insisting that it is done their way and getting it wrong. if your having problems use the NHS website and check out the doctors in your area or out of your area for patient numbers my old surgery had 22300 patients and no time for anyone and a lot of complaints, my new surgery has about 1500 patients they are polite nice to talk to and above all compassionate people, fantastic. No one should have to put up with stroppy over worked arrogant nosey receptionists that have the cheek to ask you why you want to see a GP. I am back on my o0ld insulin and have pretty decent control, if I had this doctors ten years ago I think I probably would not have developed Cataracts and have to go through surgery on my eyes, I might have even still had my 20/20 vision, I feel very let down by the NHS.

#27 Xan2cv, Sep 11, 2015 at 10:10 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2015
  8. drakman

drakman Type 2 · Active Member

Have you considered the Hospital Diabetic teamfor help, they have a system to deal with cases where a patient is between Doctors and needs their help or medication

9. lizdeluz

lizdeluz Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Remember that you can always get insulin if you need it. Even if it means telephoning whichever of your GP practices out of hours. You will be connected to an emergency doctor who will have to sort your no-insulin problem double-quick.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook