Feel old and knackered at 33

leeemerick

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Fed up and just need a moan.
I've got so many conditions and problems it's hard too keep track.
It's difficult to figure if one started the other or how long it's been there before diagnosis.

Sleep Apnea
Diabetes type 2 on insulin
Peripheral Neuropathy
Fibromyalgia
Carpal tunnel syndrome
Ibs
Gastric reflux
Non malignant fibrous growths in feet

Been referred to pain inpact clinic for neuropathy and fibro pain. In chronic pain all the time and can hardly walk.

Struggle to inject and test blood as my hands are becoming useless.

Been referred for an emergency chiropodist appointment as my feet rapidly deteriorating.

Had operations on hands and feet for carpal tunnel and removal of lumbs but hands got worse and lumps spread (defo not malignant, just sods law according to podiatrist )

Sorry for moaning!

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
@leeemerick

Don't apologise for that ... I'd be moaning as well. Hope the situation improves for you.

Mike

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Fed up and just need a moan.
I've got so many conditions and problems it's hard too keep track.
It's difficult to figure if one started the other or how long it's been there before diagnosis.

Sleep Apnea
Diabetes type 2 on insulin
Peripheral Neuropathy
Fibromyalgia
Carpal tunnel syndrome
Ibs
Gastric reflux
Non malignant fibrous growths in feet

Been referred to pain inpact clinic for neuropathy and fibro pain. In chronic pain all the time and can hardly walk.

Struggle to inject and test blood as my hands are becoming useless.

Been referred for an emergency chiropodist appointment as my feet rapidly deteriorating.

Had operations on hands and feet for carpal tunnel and removal of lumbs but hands got worse and lumps spread (defo not malignant, just sods law according to podiatrist )

Sorry for moaning!
I agree with Mike, never apologise for moaning when you have good reason to :(

I think many of your conditions are related to each other. T2 and sleep apnoea go hand in hand for many people (including me).

If I can help you in any way I would like to.

Is your CPAP therapy optimised? Do you know what your AHI (apnoea hypopnoea index) score is? If not, I can show you how to find out.

Is your insulin therapy optimised? By that I mean are you on a basal/bolus regime with adjusting the dose at each meal, or are you on fixed doses or mixed insulin?

Does your IBS tend more towards constipation or diarrhoea or both? Constipation makes reflux worse. Are you on meds for reflux, if so, which one(s)?

Have you been tested recently for Vitamin D, B12, magnesium, zinc, folate, iron, and thyroid levels?

How long have you been on simvastatin? What are your lipid levels (HDL, LDL and triglycerides)?

Reactions: 2 people

fred1234

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It's good to have a rant about things. Get it off your chest. Today's another day and it might be better. Hope it is .

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Good to moan. I am T1 and had pretty much been diagnosed with everything you have listed during 30+ years. Even perncious anaemia too.

All completely off records now.. Except the carpal tunnel that was operated on.

The cause was aspartaame, artificial sweeteners and preservatives. Still got slow colonic transit but normally that is manageable nowadays.

I would really, really try and perhaps look at the foods that you are eating.

I don't advocate low carb and high fat necessarily but I do advocate unprocessed foods or ready meals..

A good natural diet specific to your likes snd dislikes with taste buds can go a whole long way to making improvements on your wellbeing.

At one point 5 years ago I could badely get out of bed.. And had full DLA. Now although undergoing biopsies and tests I am still fit as a fiddle and working as a gardener and back to my lean and mean body anfld going to the gym. Just had a little crisis over 3 biopsies and 11 samples and don't know all tbe results yet. I do lnow though that if you roll over and say "thats it, I'm doomed" then it makes things worse..

I suspect you are feeling pretty depressed to be honest but.... I don't know what you are eating but there are foods that can change your whole wellbeing.

A vit d tablet daily was my biggest change as I've always ate pretty healthy. Vit D is from sun as well as other sources but it certainly helps me to feel tip top..

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree, don't apologise for having a moan. It's just that you are facing up to how you feel and working out what you can do to change it.
After 30 years of Type 1, I recognise that I'm likely to have to face complications.
On the other hand, changing my diet over the last 24 months has made me feel stronger and completely joyful. Very strange and totally unexpected. You might find that taking control in this way helps you too.

leeemerick

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
My hb1ac is 50, DN pleased with it. BP in good range, was high before cpap treatment. Cholesterol in good range. Ibs goes both extremes.
Cpap isn't optimised. Still being adjusted. Really struggle with it at times leaking. Got review next week anyway.
I've suffered depression for years. Had my citalapram increased to 40mg but doc won't raise anymore.
Started tramadol today and stopping cocodomol. Amytriptolen will be reviewed at pain clinic app comes through.
Got a referal for occupational health today to see if they can help with things at home. Pleased with that

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
My hb1ac is 50, DN pleased with it. BP in good range, was high before cpap treatment. Cholesterol in good range. Ibs goes both extremes.
Cpap isn't optimised. Still being adjusted. Really struggle with it at times leaking. Got review next week anyway.
I've suffered depression for years. Had my citalapram increased to 40mg but doc won't raise anymore.
Started tramadol today and stopping cocodomol. Amytriptolen will be reviewed at pain clinic app comes through.
Got a referal for occupational health today to see if they can help with things at home. Pleased with that
Yeah it can be hard to find a CPAP mask that has a good seal. Are you using a nasal or full face mask? If the latter, then you may find it seals better if you are clean shaven. (Sorry! I'm just the messenger). Another thing is to make sure the straps aren't too tight. Get your technician to adjust the straps and if you can be lying down with the machine operating when they do this, even better. The face shape is different when we are sitting upright. Keep going back to them as often as possible until it is sorted.

Citalopram can cause heart damage at more than 40mg. They can add a second drug instead of increasing it, if needed.

If the tramadol doesn't help, ask about morphine.

Are you aware that statins can cause muscle pain?

leeemerick

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Yeah, several months ago I came off Simvastatin to see if that caused the pain but it continued to get worse. Dr started me on atorvastatin instead after several weeks off any statin. Got both masks. Not got a chin strap and I'm a mouth breather so air shoots out my mouth. Using full face at the moment. I've sported facial hair for so long I fear my wife and children would not recognise me without lol.
I never knew that about citalapram! Bit concerning, times when I've been really down I've taken 60 or even 80 (dr didn't know). Well at least I know now!

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yeah, several months ago I came off Simvastatin to see if that caused the pain but it continued to get worse. Dr started me on atorvastatin instead after several weeks off any statin. Got both masks. Not got a chin strap and I'm a mouth breather so air shoots out my mouth. Using full face at the moment. I've sported facial hair for so long I fear my wife and children would not recognise me without lol.
I never knew that about citalapram! Bit concerning, times when I've been really down I've taken 60 or even 80 (dr didn't know). Well at least I know now!
I tried a nasal mask with a chin strap and it didn't work, so I use a full face mask now. Often we mouth breathe if our nose is blocked, and sometimes this is due to being born with a narrowing somewhere in there. In my case this was found with a CT scan and corrected with surgery and my breathing in general was much easier. But I still need to use the full face mask. If the nose structure is ok there might be congestion caused by allergies.

Don't panic too much about the citalopram as I don't think occasional high doses would do much harm. The changes that long term higher doses can cause in some people is a slight change to the heart rhythm called Long QT Syndrome. It means that a part of the graph produced by an ECG test is longer, ie the gap between heartbeats or something. If you get an opportunity to have an ECG test done they can check for this.