I've Lost Weight on Metformin

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I have been on mine for a month and now finding I'm hardly ever hungry even at meal times, which is good as I'm loosing weight but have a very busy work life and wonder if I'm eating enough
Hi Amanda

If you are not eating enough then your BG will be low at times. If you still have weight to lose, then I think you are on the right track. When you reach your weight loss goal you should probably increase your fat and protein intake a bit in order to maintain that level. If you are having a lot of loss of appetite symptoms you might need to see your doctor about it as there could be something else going on. But in general, low carbing and losing weight could well mean we are not as hungry as we used to feel and that is ok.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I can only refer to my experience on metformin x2 500g.
I was started off on one tablet with my breakfast. (One of a few on the London based trials on metformin for PCOS)
The first change was my periods came back (monthly) as previously every 8-9months. If highly stressed had uncontrollable bleeding until provera tablet restarted me.
Anyway cutting a long story short I was advised by professor at st Thomas's hospital to stop metformin whilst doing IVF. I feel as a result it failed as I added 2 stone whilst the 8 week experience unfolded.
I struggled even more with my weight but daily jogging with an ex-pro footballer helped. I was extremely fit but still weighed 16stone. I trained 6 days a week at a gym too. To me it made no difference. I was still fat. No blood pressure tablets thou.
I have resigned myself to my body has never been thin so I don't expect it to ever be.
Metformin eventually gave me nasty side effects and now on insulin and 8 stone overweight.
Metformin for me was just a tool to keep high sugars and addition weight at bay. I was eating like a child but still overweight. I wasn't enjoying my food and restricted everything with a bit fat in it.
This is why I love the lchf diet. I'm allowed restricted food which I'd eliminated from my diet for decades.
The funny thing is the old-fashioned calorie counting seems to be MY key now I'm restricted from heavy exercise regimes due to family commitments.
Old-fashioned calorie counting reminding me of lighter times and the optimism of freedom to exercise enthusiastically daily to support weight loss.
For now I have semi satisfaction with my 3x1hr (40mins) swims.
All 3 elements have to be adhered to FOR ME to have very slow (painful) weightloss.
Painful because I'm impatient to get the weight off now my medication change has set me free.
Metformin stopped working for me but the heavy exercise regimes were impossible with my work, family and ill partner's commitments.
Life does change. Up until recently I'd lost faith. Lchf diet accolades gave me hope and encouragement.
I hope my story helps someone realise all elements effect weightloss but there's always hope so keep assessing YOUR BODY'S NEEDS and do what YOU can. Don't give up the fight it gets easier. Goodluck metformin users and non metformin users alike.

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaning for moanings sake!!
Hi Amanda

If you are not eating enough then your BG will be low at times. If you still have weight to lose, then I think you are on the right track. When you reach your weight loss goal you should probably increase your fat and protein intake a bit in order to maintain that level. If you are having a lot of loss of appetite symptoms you might need to see your doctor about it as there could be something else going on. But in general, low carbing and losing weight could well mean we are not as hungry as we used to feel and that is ok.
Thanks for reply, that makes sense, I have got really good readings most of the time but on a few occasions lije yesterday, had lunch around 11.30am, then was busy till I got home at 6.30, had pounding headache, although id eaten handfull of almonds and bottle of water at 4pm, my reading b4 t was 9.1 but settled to 6.1 2 hrs post dinner? Why am a getting this rise?

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Thanks for reply, that makes sense, I have got really good readings most of the time but on a few occasions lije yesterday, had lunch around 11.30am, then was busy till I got home at 6.30, had pounding headache, although id eaten handfull of almonds and bottle of water at 4pm, my reading b4 t was 9.1 but settled to 6.1 2 hrs post dinner? Why am a getting this rise?
Possibly like the dawn phenomenon, your liver pumps out glucose when you fast.

Reactions: 2 people

oldnevada

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sugar, in all it's iterations.
Wow, I wish I could lose weight like that. I'm very very careful with what I eat. I'm 17 stone ~112kg. I want to lose 15kg.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Wow, I wish I could lose weight like that. I'm very very careful with what I eat. I'm 17 stone ~112kg. I want to lose 15kg.
What is your eating plans? Is metfomin softening your tummy fat. Mine was solid and heavy pre metformin.

oldnevada

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sugar, in all it's iterations.
Rock hard, but shrinking. I'm losing most of my weight around my face arms, and legs right now.
Insulin resistance is correlated with fat so I think that is one reason I became obese. Plus I was a binge eater. That stopped a while ago, but the fat stayed. Then I became diabetic two years ago. I'm hoping as I lose weight, the insulin resistance will abate. I hope!

Reactions: 3 people

Toddy65

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone. Hope you are all doing ok.

Just to let you know I have been on Metformin 2000mg a day for 2 months and I've lost 2 and a half stone in that time I am also following a low carb diet which will have definitely helped.

Anyone else lost weight?

Shazzie xx
Hi I have to say that since I was put on Metformin 500mg twice a day I have lost near on 2 stone in around 11 months. I think careful eating helps a lot too but it is great for the yearly blood test as that has come Down as well. Also I have no noticeable side effects that I can blame Metformin on as I suffer from a load of Ailments due to a disability so I'm on lots of other meds but I wasn't losing any weight until I started Metformin.

Reactions: 2 people