Sweat patch could monitor blood glucose levels, bypass finger pricking

DCUK NewsBot

A disposable sweat patch is currently being developed by Eccrine Systems that could calculate the amount of glucose in the blood. For people with diabetes, this could represent an end to finger pricking in order to obtain a drop of blood when measuring blood glucose levels. How does the patch work? Eccrine Systems’ multiple layer patch design manages the flow of sweat so data, known as "biomarkers", can be collected about how the body behaves. This information includes glucose, hormones, proteins and other molecules that are produced during metabolism. Co-founder Jason Heikenfeld, PhD, is working on a sweat patch that can monitor a person's health from their sweat after detecting these biomarkers. There are roughly 800 biomarkers in sweat, while advances in a technology called "microfluidics" allow for minute amounts of liquid to be manipulated by sensors and valves. The sweat patch from Eccrine Systems, a Cincinnati firm, absorbs sweat from an absorbent adhesive to the sensor, which measures glucose through the specific membrane with which it is coated. Once the concentration is determined by a microprocessor, the data is transmitted wirelessly to monitoring systems. The sweat patch is disposable, and could be worn for up to a week. The device allows constant monitoring of blood glucose levels without the need for finger pricking, and the data can be directly transferred to a doctor. Eccrine Systems plan to have their patch on the market by 2016, while a Washington company called Gentag - who announced their prototype patch in July – are also expecting a 2016 release for their device. An end to finger pricking? Alongside the sweat patch, an engineering breakthrough from the University of Leeds in July led to the development of a small device that uses low-powered lasers to test blood sugar levels. As technology continues to evolve in the fight against diabetes, and these devices are released on the market, it could signal that finger pricking will be a less prominent aspect of diabetes management in the future.

Continue reading...

Alistair Wood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can't believe you have not mentioned that the Freestyle Optium ALREADY acheives the aim of being free from finger pricking!?

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can't believe you have not mentioned that the Freestyle Optium ALREADY acheives the aim of being free from finger pricking!?
Does it? How? I have that meter but I have to prick my fingers to use it.

Alistair Wood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry, the proper name is Freestyle Libre, manufactured by Abbot; it's been in production for well over a year now. Recommend you get onto it straightaway, despite the cost (circa £50 a month, not yet available through NHS). You can do as many tests as you like!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I understand that this is different to stapling a sensor in your skin which has to be done with any libre or cgm.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I understand that this is different to stapling a sensor in your skin which has to be done with any libre or cgm.

Isn't stapling a bit over the top? The libre filament, which is the only thing entering the skin, is like a thin, soft toothbrush bristle, with the main adhesion being by a form of sticky tape.

Alistair Wood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The sweat patch might not be as invasive, but my point was that the title of the thread implied that finger pricking is suddenly bypassed, when in fact Libre and other CGMs have been available and done this for some time, albeit at a cost to the patient. (I'm not surprised at the expense when you see the elaborate mechanism that Abbott have decided to supply along with each sensor)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Isn't stapling a bit over the top? The libre filament, which is the only thing entering the skin, is like a thin, soft toothbrush bristle, with the main adhesion being by a form of sticky tape.

I see the use of any mechanical gadget to put a needle in to skin as a stapler!! Just my interpretation- just that its a bit different to say the hypoband etc....
I used to think of plastic sets as initially being stapled.. Despite needle being pulled out. The simple insertion gently by yourself is totally different.
Just phraseology....

Reactions: 2 people

DavidnVicky

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Just reading up on the Freestyle Libre, the Abbots website currently show it for £57 and mention that the sensor last for up to 14 days. Does they mean that you have to buy one every two weeks?
Thanks

Alistair Wood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just reading up on the Freestyle Libre, the Abbots website currently show it for £57 and mention that the sensor last for up to 14 days. Does they mean that you have to buy one every two weeks?
Thanks
Yes, and you can only order 2 at a time because their production line is straining. So £57 x 26 = £1482 per annum - bloody expensive but I'm just hoping that the goverment will make these allowable on prescription, or that a competitor will undercut the price.

Lozj82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you have diabetes you get the VAT (i think its that anyway) taken off, as i tried to order yesterday but as i'm a new patient, they aren't accepting any orders from people like me (as in new patient) at the moment