Medtronic MiniMed 640G System

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
It was a bit unnerving when my bloods were 4.6 and the bolus wizard wanted me to give a further 0.6 something units for the two biscuits and a cup of tea!! Not used to giving more insulin with snacks when I'm at that level! I'm all good though! It will take me a while to get my head around it all! ;-) Totally different to injections!

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
Not started basal testing yet, just initial setting up at the moment. My nurse rang me last night and told me to turn my basal down a little and to have a 10g snack before bed without giving more insulin which I did (well, I actually had 15g snack!). At 3am I was 7.8 and at 7.45am I was 10 so gave correction dose. When I came to have my breakfast I was 11.0 and now just tested I'm 11.1. So texted DSN to ask if I need to up basal a bit again. ;-) It's all good fun! :) Glargine is obviously wearing off now!

iHs

Hi

For time being...it looks as though you will need more basal from 3am to the next time slot so that you dont wake up with the high bg. It's common for less basal to be needed from midnight to 3am and then more basal from that time onwards.
I doubt that Lantus is having any effect as its action fades after a few days of stopping it.
You will get there with the basal adjustments slow but sure so dont worry

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Your doing well Spicey,when I started,5 months ago,I had very similar results to you,but,I did a lot of basal testing I think I pretty much got it right.But you know the big D,something will throw a spanner in the works and off we go again.Good luck you making a good start.

Reactions: 2 people

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yes, I am thinking the same about upping the basal in the morning from 3am but will wait and see what my DSN says. I've been texting her most of day with my results so she can keep a log of what is happening. Definitely running higher today so the half dose of glargine that I took last Sunday night has definitely all but gone from my system now! Just done my BM and I'm 13.9 two hours after lunch. Have given myself a correction dose. Think my basal's are definitely going to be increased a little bit! ;-)

Reactions: 4 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Big day for me tomorrow! Exciting! Got my Novorapid in the vials ready (haven't seen the vials in years as I've been on pens for a long time! Like a blast from the past seeing them again! Lol!), pump ready, nurse has my supplies ready and has set up an account for me to order more. :) Eeek!! :)
Little warning here. I also reverted to insulin vials for my pump, but an insulin vial contains 10ml, more than three times as much as a pen. I found that the insulin in a vial degrades before I finished using it. (My insulin requirements went down so fast with my pump that a vial lasts more than a month.) So keep an eye on your levels as you get towards the end of a vial, or the end of a month, whichever comes sooner.

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Little warning here. I also reverted to insulin vials for my pump, but an insulin vial contains 10ml, more than three times as much as a pen. I found that the insulin in a vial degrades before I finished using it. (My insulin requirements went down so fast with my pump that a vial lasts more than a month.) So keep an eye on your levels as you get towards the end of a vial, or the end of a month, whichever comes sooner.

Thanks for the tip! I only take very small amounts of insulin so this definitely applies to me. I've been told to keep the vial I'm using in my bag with me at all times so it will degrade quicker in the warmth. All my other vials are kept in the fridge. I went to clinic today to do my first set change (the DSN always asks people to come in for their first set change and I'm glad I did!). All went pretty smoothly apart from me detaching the reservoir from the vial (whilst leaving the needle in the vial) and then squirting myself with a load of insulin! ;-) Ahh well, that's a learning curve for me!! Lol!

She has also upped my basal slightly in the late evening through to morning as I was running a bit high overnight. So fingers crossed we're on the right track! :)

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
@Spicey245

where are you keeping your pump during the day/night, if you don't mind me asking

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Spicey245

where are you keeping your pump during the day/night, if you don't mind me asking
I am keeping it in my Hid-In pouch overnight and sometimes during the day but if I'm wearing a dress (like today) I keep it clipped to middle of my bra! ;-)

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
Are you finding it uncomfortable at all?

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Had a hypo today (2nd one since on pump since Monday so not bad going). Over bolused! Hey ho, my own stupid fault! :)

iHs

I always keep my insulin in the fridge and it never goes off. I just get my filled cartridges up to body temperature first before inserting them in the pump.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I always keep my insulin in the fridge and it never goes off. I just get my filled cartridges up to body temperature first before inserting them in the pump.
What's your average TDD? For comparison, mine is usually between 24 and 28 units, so 10ml lasts a long time. I've been filling my reservoir from 3ml pens lately but just finished those and got a new vial, so I am planning to watch again to see if it happens again. One never really knows. There can be so many factors. The weather, the dose, etc. I'm not absolutely certain, that's why I said to watch out for it. One thing with vials is that each time you use it, you squirt air into it, so by the end you really cannot say it is uncontaminated.

iHs

@RuthW......I usually average on about 20u per day as I try to limit my carb to about 50 - 80g per day as it makes pumping easier for me.

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
@RuthW......I usually average on about 20u per day as I try to limit my carb to about 50 - 80g per day as it makes pumping easier for me.

jeez, my carbs are about 200g per day.....

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Another trip to diabetic clinic this morning. Dr happy with my blood test results which is good and pump basal rates and carb/insulin bolus rates tweaked too. So see what happens now! ;-)

Reactions: 5 people

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
So am I, been nearly a year since I first decided to go on the pump! Thought it was never going to happen. I've been on phone to Medtronic to ask if they could send me a loan pump for my holiday next week but they don't have enough 640G's presently to provide this service so will just have to take my pens/needles as a back up and hope nothing happens to pump! :-/ Ordered some Frio products today too to keep insulin and pump cool in heat. Getting excited but a bit nervous about travelling with pump as it's still early days. I'm sure I'll be fine though. ;-) I worry about everything! Lol!

Reactions: 3 people