Bread and Bread Recipes

freshlybrewed

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
sensory overloading
Well I don't know I made phoopsies a while ago and the mixture foamed up like one of those science project volcanoes and then promptly set into a glutinous goo that was hard to transfer from the mixing bowl into waffle moulds. I figured as it was going to be runny like everyone else's they'd work well as waffles. But something wasn't right, they had a horrible flavour, not eggy but chemically and burned my tongue like acid, so I think maybe I put too much of something in.

Going back to the cream of tarter. In theory one should only need baking powder as that has the correct ratio of Bicarbonate of soda and an acid so that the reaction completely neutralises in the mix producing the bubbles. So messing about with extra acid would mess things up, so unless you're adding more bicarb then leave it out, or maybe it's there for flavour or something?

I'm not giving up on these because I think there's hope in making them into waffles to spray loads of cream on them with frozen yoghurt and berries. I don't think the flavour works too well with salad or meat.

Have either of you tried low carb bread with gluten and yeast?
I've tried some low carb bread with baking powder but it turned out more like cake. A rather nice nutty cake I might add but not bread. So I am considering trying my next creation using gluten.

Reactions: 2 people

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I don't know I made phoopsies a while ago and the mixture foamed up like one of those science project volcanoes and then promptly set into a glutinous goo that was hard to transfer from the mixing bowl into waffle moulds. I figured as it was going to be runny like everyone else's they'd work well as waffles. But something wasn't right, they had a horrible flavour, not eggy but chemically and burned my tongue like acid, so I think maybe I put too much of something in.

Going back to the cream of tarter. In theory one should only need baking powder as that has the correct ratio of Bicarbonate of soda and an acid so that the reaction completely neutralises in the mix producing the bubbles. So messing about with extra acid would mess things up, so unless you're adding more bicarb then leave it out, or maybe it's there for flavour or something?

I'm not giving up on these because I think there's hope in making them into waffles to spray loads of cream on them with frozen yoghurt and berries. I don't think the flavour works too well with salad or meat.

Have either of you tried low carb bread with gluten and yeast?
I've tried some low carb bread with baking powder but it turned out more like cake. A rather nice nutty cake I might add but not bread. So I am considering trying my next creation using gluten.

I thought that about the baking powder being enough but mine didn't swell, foam or anything and it resembled a rather loose pancake batter - in fact, thinking about it, I may have had more success making it into pancakes :D

I am too traumatised to try anything else at the moment. I need to recover first ;)

freshlybrewed

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
sensory overloading
thanks @Lenny3 for the link to the bread, I'll definitely get onto this when I next do a baking session.

Malsange

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a recipe for "70 second bread"
1 egg or some egg whites that measure the same amount
1/2 tsp. baking powder, mix into the egg
2 tbsp. flax meal, mix into egg and b. powder
1/4 c. grated cheese, mix into the above
using a plastic or glass square (should be the size of a slice of bread), spray with pam or put some butter in and all around with pastry brush, add mixture, smooth out.
Put in microwave for 1 min., then take out bread and turn it over, put back in micro. for another10-15 sec., let cool slightly if you want to toast it, it is very nice and low in carbs :)
if you like you can add spices or chopped nuts or chia seeds, sesame seeds, etc.

Malsange

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I, so far have found this forum to be a much friendlier place than the one I just left :)
In that forum they wanted you to cut out all breads altogether; I have given up breads though because I have found low carb recipes that fill my carb needs and I enjoy them a lot :)
Like muffin in a mug using almond flour or coconut flour, there are many good recipes online, as so many people are liking that you can have a treat that is delish and healthy too.

Reactions: 4 people

Malsange

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
servings: 1
Preparation Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients for one single bun:

Optional:

• 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
  • 1/4 teaspoon poppy seeds, chia seeds, sesame seeds
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Add all ingredients and blend together using a hand blender or small food processor. Let the batter settle for a few minutes to thicken.

Split the mixture into two and spoon onto oiled parchment paper to make two 3-inch diameter pools of batter. Top with additional seeds if desired.

Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.

Use each piece as top and bottom of a burger bun.

While it is baking you can throw your burger on the grill. If you’re lucky the burger will be done by the time the bun is cooked!

Recipe submitted by Mandy, Denver, CO

I have made this myself just this morning, I added the nut. yeast, and 1/2 tsp. xylitol, the bun was delish :) This bun is skinny, but holds together well, and it can be used to hold a burger or let it cool for tuna sandwiches, or any kind of sandwich. Enjoy :)
I am pretty sure this would make an excellent thin crust pizza dough, just double or triple the recipe so you Can enjoy pizza again :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Sobeit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
servings: 1
Preparation Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients for one single bun:

Optional:

• 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
  • 1/4 teaspoon poppy seeds, chia seeds, sesame seeds
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Add all ingredients and blend together using a hand blender or small food processor. Let the batter settle for a few minutes to thicken.

Split the mixture into two and spoon onto oiled parchment paper to make two 3-inch diameter pools of batter. Top with additional seeds if desired.

Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.

Use each piece as top and bottom of a burger bun.

While it is baking you can throw your burger on the grill. If you’re lucky the burger will be done by the time the bun is cooked!

Recipe submitted by Mandy, Denver, CO

I have made this myself just this morning, I added the nut. yeast, and 1/2 tsp. xylitol, the bun was delish :)
Thanks so much for posting this ! Its exactly what I was looking for ,and I have the ingredients in to make it! :)

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds yummy. Just a quick question though. Does the taste of coconut come through at all.

Malsange

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds yummy. Just a quick question though. Does the taste of coconut come through at all.
no, not in this recipe. not sure why, I love it as an alternative to bread when I want a bun for something, it is skinny but very good :)

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your quick response. Thats great to hear as I cant stand the smell or taste of coconut but so many recipes have a bit of coconut flour in. I will give it a try. :D

Malsange

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your quick response. Thats great to hear as I cant stand the smell or taste of coconut but so many recipes have a bit of coconut flour in. I will give it a try. :D

If you have an aversion to coconut flour, you could try experimenting using 1 tbsp. flax meal instead of the coconut flour, I have not tried doing that but could work still; I did not notice any coconut flavor, but this could be an alternative in case you do notice a coconut flavor :)
I'm thinking that the coconut flour was added because it is a very dry flour and could be the reason that the bun doesn't fall apart :)

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will try it with the coconut flour first and see if I like it.