Trying so willfully to come off T2DM

waleed

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I started attempting to cure myself from T2DM three years ago since I got convinced that it was not an ever lasting curse. I am driven by my faith that the pancreas can always meet the insulin requirements of the body even at partial functioning. The artificial insulin brands available in the market are intentionally made twenty times larger than natural insulin. While it should take the pancreas a small spit to deal with blood glucose. It is becoming more apparent that many people are healing from T2DM with substantial weight loss. I reduced my weight from 93 kg to 64 kg today and improved my insulin to carbs ratio from 1:4 to 1:20. But so far experienced no "wake-up" of the pancreas. I am so convinced of my approach, I intend to go to as low as 57 kg which represents the lowest healthy BMI for me. I am always hungry and debilitated but so determined to finish the job.
Thought to share my story with you, and will keep you posted.

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome @waleed

Are you a type 1 or a type 2 diabetic?

Oops. just seen you are type 2.
Did they confirm that with tests, or did they just tell you that you were type 2 based on age and weight?

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @waleed

Well done on your weight loss.
I am not a religious person but do not pooh pooh your beliefs, and am fully aware of the comfort such beliefs' bring to people, but I have to tell you that your beliefs will not "cure" you of diabetes, unfortunately there is no cure at the moment other than an organ transplant, I too am T2 on insulin and have lost weight and reduced my insulin needs accordingly, but the bottom line is without my insulin I would be in deep trouble and possibly I would turn up at the pearly gates sooner that I would like.
Once dead the insulin producing islets are gone and unlike Lazarus they cannot be resurrected.

waleed

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To answer your question. I'm type 2. It runs in the family and both my late parents died from its complications. I still see your point that maybe my diabetes progressed to type 1 after so many years from diagnosis. what makes me think that my best shot at it is by losing substantial weight is the fact that I still have a bulging and jiggling belly even at this low weight. It will probably take me a few more weeks to reach my target weight and the possible prize is very much worth the effort.
Hi @waleed

I am not a religious person but do not pooh pooh your beliefs, and am fully aware of the comfort such beliefs' bring to people, but I have to tell you that your beliefs will not "cure" you of diabetes, unfortunately there is no cure at the moment other than an organ transplant, I too am T2 on insulin and have lost weight and reduced my insulin needs accordingly, but the bottom line is without my insulin I would be in deep trouble and possibly I would turn up at the pearly gates sooner that I would like.
Once dead the insulin producing islets are gone and unlike Lazarus they cannot be resurrected.

Hi and welcome @waleed

Did they confirm that with tests, or did they just tell you that you were type 2 based on age and weight?
Hi and welcome @waleed

Did they confirm that with tests, or did they just tell you that you w
Hi @waleed

I started attempting to cure myself from T2DM three years ago since I got convinced that it was not an ever lasting curse. I am driven by my faith that the pancreas can always meet the insulin requirements of the body even at partial functioning. The artificial insulin brands available in the market are intentionally made twenty times larger than natural insulin. While it should take the pancreas a small spit to deal with blood glucose. It is becoming more apparent that many people are healing from T2DM with substantial weight loss. I reduced my weight from 93 kg to 64 kg today and improved my insulin to carbs ratio from 1:4 to 1:20. But so far experienced no "wake-up" of the pancreas. I am so convinced of my approach, I intend to go to as low as 57 kg which represents the lowest healthy BMI for me. I am always hungry and debilitated but so determined to finish the job.

ere type 2 based on age and weight?
Hi and welcome @waleed

Hi and welcome @waleed

Hi and welcome @waleed

OTE="Brunneria, post: 968769, member: 41816"]Hi and welcome @waleed

Did they confirm that with tests, or did they just tell you that you were type 2 based on age and weight?[/QUOTE]
Tlo

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi waleed, I find I can control my insulin requirement, that is, I manage to keep my BG normal, by low carbing and eating a lot of fat to keep me satisfied. What is your diet? I am T2 on no meds but normal HbA1c. So far.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The reason i asked about T1 is because if you are certain you are T2, then you have s better than 50% chance (although the Newcastle Diet study was a small one) of reversing T2 if you can get your weight below your 'personal fat threshold'.

So go for it!

But please bear in mind that being overweight is not the only reason why people develop T2, so weight loss does not work for everyone.

Although i hope it does. :)

waleed

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The newcastle trial was conducted on people who had diabetes for less than 4 years. And the diet was tried for only 8 weeks. What I am doing different from that trial are 3 things. First I discontinued all diabetes medications except metfor in order to bring my insulin levels to the lowest possible. Secondly I am going on zero carbs 700 calories diet. Finally I am not limited by any time frame. Please note that I am following the above regimen only after I brought my weight pretty close to my final target by water fasting for 24 days. I believe that ultra high insulin resistance is the major obstacle in losing belly fat and the only way to battle it is to dry up all fat stores in the body by reducing your insulin to the lowest possible levels by any means. Best of which is zero carbing without insulin secreting medications. QUOTE="Brunneria, post: 968897, member: 41816"]The reason i asked about T1 is because if you are certain you are T2, then you have s better than 50% chance (although the Newcastle Diet study was a small one) of reversing T2 if you can get your weight below your 'personal fat threshold'.

So go for it!

But please bear in mind that being overweight is not the only reason why people develop T2, so weight loss does not work for everyone.

Although i hope it does. :)[/QUOTE]
T

waleed

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Totto
I think controlling blood glucose levels is great but only half the story. In my opinion a person becomes diabetic for having too much visceral fat and diabetes is a symptom in this case not the actual illness. I think that type 2 diabetes was confused with type 1 because they both have similar symptoms. I believe that type 2 should be renamed to Lipodiabetes to more differentiate it from type 1.
In my many previous attempts to lose belly fat I failed and stopped short from removing those few stubborn kilograms. I was dieting and taking insulin at the same time then I started to wonder. Isn't it two contradicting things that I am doing! If I really want to allow those stubborn lipids to melt I should bring my insulin levels to the lowest possible. And this is what I am doing now. 700 calories zero carbs diet and only metformin. I have for the first time crossed the weight barrier of 67 kg and going vehemently towards my target goal of 57 kg. Please note that this is not a medical advise but merely a narrative of a personal adventure.
Hi waleed, I find I can control my insulin requirement, that is, I manage to keep my BG normal, by low carbing and eating a lot of fat to keep me satisfied. What is your diet? I am T2 on no meds but normal HbA1c. So far.
H

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds pretty extreme!

Are you being monitored by your doctor? I would want that if i was doing something like you are. Fasting and starvation can have long term effects (i did a 300 cal diet for a few months about 30 years ago, and i still think it has affected the way my body processes food, so i always try to make people aware that their choices may have long term consequences).

What are your plans when you hit your target? Low carb? Normal carb?
And how are your blood glucose levels doing?

:)

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Totto
I think controlling blood glucose levels is great but only half the story. In my opinion a person becomes diabetic for having too much visceral fat and diabetes is a symptom in this case not the actual illness. I think that type 2 diabetes was confused with type 1 because they both have similar symptoms. I believe that type 2 should be renamed to Lipodiabetes to more differentiate it from type 1.
In my many previous attempts to lose belly fat I failed and stopped short from removing those few stubborn kilograms. I was dieting and taking insulin at the same time then I started to wonder. Isn't it two contradicting things that I am doing! If I really want to allow those stubborn lipids to melt I should bring my insulin levels to the lowest possible. And this is what I am doing now. 700 calories zero carbs diet and only metformin. I have for the first time crossed the weight barrier of 67 kg and going vehemently towards my target goal of 57 kg. Please note that this is not a medical advise but merely a narrative of a personal adventure.
H
I believe you are bonkers. Water fast for over three weeks? 700 calorie diet?

In my opinion a person can become diabetic T2 for a number of reasons, mainly genetic.

Be kind to yourself. Eat food. Control your BG in a sensible way.

waleed

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Will continue on a maintenance ketogenic diet for as long it takes to wake up my pancreas. If this never happens then ketogenic diet will be my destiny. UOTE="Brunneria, post: 968936, member: 41816"]Sounds pretty extreme!

Are you being monitored by your doctor? I would want that if i was doing something like you are. Fasting and starvation can have long term effects (i did a 300 cal diet for a few months about 30 years ago, and i still think it has affected the way my body processes food, so i always try to make people aware that their choices may have long term consequences).

:)[/QUOTE]
My bg level
Sounds pretty extreme!

Wi

waleed

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Genetics will only make you susceptible to diabetes. The real culprit is our modern diet with highly processed food and abundant cooking oils. Current management of diabetes only witness the progression of the disease no matter what. : 968944, member: 91524"]I believe you are bonkers. Water fast for over three weeks? 700 calorie diet?

In my opinion a person can become diabetic T2 for a number of reasons, mainly genetic.

Be kind to yourself. Eat food. Control your BG in a sensible way.[/QUOTE]
Genetics makes yo

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As I said, many factors in diabetes and I agree with cooking oils and processed food being a factor for some. I eat neither, being a vegetable farmer of organic produce. After ten years of organic farm living I developed diabetes at the same age as my dad, his siblings, his mum and her siblings? All at around fifty. When my gran was diagnosed diabetic one hundred years ago there weren't that much processed foods around and her brothers and sister were still living at the family farm, eating their own produce.

waleed

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Diabetes is becoming an epidemic in our days much more than a hundred years ago. It even existed in ancient egyption times. But the reason why it is becoming an epidemic is most certainly due to highly processed foods specially white flour bread and corn syrup in addition to the fact that human consumption of oils have gone 8 fold.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diabetes is becoming an epidemic in our days much more than a hundred years ago. It even existed in ancient egyption times. But the reason why it is becoming an epidemic is most certainly due to highly processed foods specially white flour bread and corn syrup in addition to the fact that human consumption of oils have gone 8 fold.
Indeed. Nevertheless, diabetes has been around for a long time, be it autoimmune, MODY or the wide T2 community. I still think your approach to achieve a cure is bonkers.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Sounds pretty extreme!

There's evidence now to prove underactive thyroid is due to starvation. I'm watching that space as I have it and have done starvation diets in the past.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's evidence now to prove underactive thyroid is due to starvation. I'm watching that space as I have it and have done starvation diets in the past.

Really?
That is fascinating.
My mother has been a severe dieter all her life, and guess what, underactive thyroid.
Do you have any links?

waleed

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
"Brunneria, post: 969226, member: 41816"]Really?
That is fascinating.
My mother has been a severe dieter all her life, and guess what, underactive thyroid.
Do you have any links?[/QUOTE]
When you're going on zero carbs you're not really reducing your food. You're only relying on the food that you stored in your guts for this specific purpose

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When you're going on zero carbs you're not really reducing your food. You're only relying on the food that you stored in your guts for this specific purpose

Well, when you do a 24 day water fast, you are definitely reducing your food.

waleed

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When i started my water fast i was very worried in the first few days wondering
how long i could go on without food. The reason I continued for 24 days was because I felt hungry on that day only. During the
fast I was active like a 20 years old