Xylitol vs Artificial sweeteners

Abri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Is there anyone who is using Xylitol as sweetener replacement and what are the benefits?

Reactions: 2 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I bought some, also have Truvia (Stevia), and Candarel.
I am trying different sweeteners to replace sugar in tea and coffee. They all have a slightly bitter aftertaste, to my palate anyway.
The only sweetener I have tried which didn't seem to have that taste was Sweet N Low, but that contains Aspartame.

Stevia can have a laxative effect. But you only need to use about a third of a teaspoon to equal one teaspoon of sugar.
Xylitol is supposed to be a 'natural' sugar, and you use it in the same amounts as normal sugar. It is actually supposed to be good for your teeth!
But Xylitol is deadly for dogs, so you shouldn't really keep it in the house if you have a dog.

I don't know yet which I prefer, but have been using the Truvia more so far.

Reactions: Judlepip

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi . If you look at the carbs in stevia its 99 carbs per 100g so if you are on a low carb diet you would have to be careful how much you used . At the end of the day if you extract sugar out of a plant you end up with carbs

Clive

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I bought some, also have Truvia (Stevia), and Candarel.
I am trying different sweeteners to replace sugar in tea and coffee. They all have a slightly bitter aftertaste, to my palate anyway.
The only sweetener I have tried which didn't seem to have that taste was Sweet N Low, but that contains Aspartame.

Stevia can have a laxative effect. But you only need to use about a third of a teaspoon to equal one teaspoon of sugar.
Xylitol is supposed to be a 'natural' sugar, and you use it in the same amounts as normal sugar. It is actually supposed to be good for your teeth!
But Xylitol is deadly for dogs, so you shouldn't really keep it in the house if you have a dog.

I don't know yet which I prefer, but have been using the Truvia more so far.

Hi . I use sweet n low . And it's made of saccharin and dextrose and cream of Tatar . Hope this is of help

Clive

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks Clive! I have only used the Sweet N Low sachets in Starbucks (and pocketed a few extra to use at home). I did find it tasted better than stevia and xylitol, but then someone on here said it contained Aspartme and that was the same as sugar.
I have just had a look online and it seems the only place I can buy it is on Amazon or Ebay, so I will order some tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Clive! I have only used the Sweet N Low sachets in Starbucks (and pocketed a few extra to use at home). I did find it tasted better than stevia and xylitol, but then someone on here said it contained Aspartme and that was the same as sugar.
I have just had a look online and it seems the only place I can buy it is on Amazon or Ebay, so I will order some tomorrow.

hi . yes i have bought some from ebay . but it was expensive . at £15.95 for 1000 But it will last me a long time as i only use it in my coffee . i think sweet n low has been on the market longer than most of the others about 20 years i think with no known problems and like you i think it is the best of the bunch
clive

geoffh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi . If you look at the carbs in stevia its 99 carbs per 100g so if you are on a low carb diet you would have to be careful how much you used . At the end of the day if you extract sugar out of a plant you end up with carbs

That's true but I have a feeling it's more complex than that. Not all carbs (especially sugar alcohols) affect blood glucose levels in the same way, in the same way that fibre (while counted as a carb) doesn't.
Here's a page which explains it better than I can! :)

http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2013/06/10/Top-10-Natural-Low-carb-Sweeteners

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

hi . iv just read the back of my sweet n low packet and it is telling me it contains aspartame . it dont say how much . thought id better tell you incase you are alergic to it . sorry for the miss infomation . clive

Last edited by a moderator:

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's true but I have a feeling it's more complex than that. Not all carbs (especially sugar alcohols) affect blood glucose levels in the same way, in the same way that fibre (while counted as a carb) doesn't.
Here's a page which explains it better than I can! :)

http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2013/06/10/Top-10-Natural-Low-carb-Sweeteners
hi . thanks for the info iv just read from the above . yet on my packet it tells me it has 99 carbs . so i will have to find out why the carbs in stevea do not count .

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
hi . thanks for the info iv just read from the above . yet on my packet it tells me it has 99 carbs . so i will have to find out why the carbs in stevea do not count .
Gram for gram most stevia extracts are over 100 times sweeter than sugar, so it's carb content is really a moot point. If there are any significant levels of carbs (per serve) in your product then it is probably the result of whatever fillers they're using. Some products might include other things like maltodextrin to improve it's texture and flavour, so always look at all the ingredients.

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Gram for gram most stevia extracts are over 100 times sweeter than sugar, so it's carb content is really a moot point. If there are any significant levels of carbs (per serve) in your product then it is probably the result of whatever fillers they're using. Some products might include other things like maltodextrin to improve it's texture and flavour, so always look at all the ingredients.
Hi thanks for the info .

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Xylitol is my favourite sweetener.
Tastes like sugar
Looks like sugar
Sold in supermarkets
Can be used gram for gram to replace sugar in recipes
Had absolutely no digestive problems with it

But stopped using it immediately when i discovered that it is deadly poisonous to dogs (we have 2). The dogs never get human treats, but sooner or later, a dropped food fragment...

I now use erythritol. Not as sweet. Not the same flavour as sugar. An odd, 'cool' mouth feel. Very expensive. Looks and cooks like sugar. No digestive tract impact. Not deadly to dogs.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
hi . iv just read the back of my sweet n low packet and it is telling me it contains aspartame . it dont say how much . thought id better tell you incase you are alergic to it . sorry for the miss infomation . clive
It's ok I'm not allergic to it. I have used it regularly in Starbucks. I have ordered 100 sachets online. I was in Starbucks today and did see on the back of the sachet that it contains Aspartame. But I can't believe that Aspartame is that bad if coffee chains use it.
Anyway I will probably be only using one sachet a day in my morning coffee so I don't think it is going to do me much harm.

Aginoth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Xylitol gives me horrendous stomach cramps and diarrhoea, I use aspartame and sucralose, I avoid the rest of the polyols as much as possible.

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tastes like sugar
Looks like sugar
Sold in supermarkets

But stopped using it immediately when i discovered that it is deadly poisonous to dogs (we have 2). The dogs never get human treats, but sooner or later, a dropped food fragment...
It's ok I'm not allergic to it. I have used it regularly in Starbucks. I have ordered 100 sachets online. I was in Starbucks today and did see on the back of the sachet that it contains Aspartame. But I can't believe that Aspartame is that bad if coffee chains use it.
Anyway I will probably be only using one sachet a day in my morning coffee so I don't think it is going to do me much harm.

Hi there must be a very small amount in there as asp

Hi there must be a very small amount in it as it gives me a stomach problem and I end up on the loo all day and iv never had it with sweet n low . Iv been trying to find out how much is in one packet but as yet not been able to get any info . Maybe someone reading this will know
Clive

Sobeit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tastes like sugar
Looks like sugar
Sold in supermarkets

I now use erythritol. Not as sweet. Not the same flavour as sugar. An odd, 'cool' mouth feel. Very expensive. Looks and cooks like sugar. No digestive tract impact. Not deadly to dogs.
I love xylitol. And have 2 dogs but when I bake with it I make sure they are out of the way and Im just extremely careful to not spill any and I sweep floor after just in case.I heard of people who measure it out in the sink to be extra careful! Its great to have an alternative sweetener so I can still enjoy goodies that arent baddies for me ! :)

Sobeit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I love xylitol. And have 2 dogs but when I bake with it I make sure they are out of the way and Im just extremely careful to not spill any and I sweep floor after just in case.I heard of people who measure it out in the sink to be extra careful! Its great to have an alternative sweetener so I can still enjoy goodies that arent baddies for me ! :)

Sobeit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I do @Abri, and agree with everything said by Brunneria above . Its a bit expensive so thats the only drawback .And that its dangerous for dogs.Otherwise a healthy choice as its natural and to be used in same quantities as regular sugar!