Lost NHS Medical Exemption card

tulip87

Hello,

Have lost my purse (argh stress), and one of the many things this contained was my card so I do not have to pay prescriptions. Which the pharmacist often asks to see for some reason...

Does anyone know how I go about replacing this? Am browsing the internet but have not easily found an answer - probably because I'm in a fluster.

goji

Hi

I saw this thread on the same subject....

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9447

In the meantime just tell the pharmacist you've lost it and the replacements on its way. The pharmacist could always ring your doctor if they're really that fussed about it.
goji

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi.

Thanks Goji for posting the previous thread. Very helpful. :D

tulip87.

Here is the phone number to ring about your lost card.
Please contact us on 0845 601 8076 and we will advise you what to do.

If you do pay for any prescriptions in the meantime you should be able to claim themn back, just remember to keep the receipts.

FordPrefect

I have forgotten my wallet a few times and was told by the chemist that I could just claim it free without the card but that the local PCT would check my eligibility later. I never received a call or letter so assume that as they have seen lots of other prescriptions with my name on ticked as medical exemption and that they had seen my card they were fine with it. I dont see why the chemist would call your doctor as its not your doctor's responsibility the only thing they could confirm is that you have a medical condition which would be exempt for charges not that you have been exempted.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Even before I reached exemption age, my pharmacy knew that I was exempt by what was prescribed. They NEVER asked for the card, although I did have one.
Hana

sugarybibs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
moaning people who have nothing wrong with them
even though ive had type 1 diabetes for over 39 years ive never ever had an exemption card.i just give my prescription in and sign exemption and never get asked for anything else.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
sugarybibs said:
even though ive had type 1 diabetes for over 39 years ive never ever had an exemption card.i just give my prescription in and sign exemption and never get asked for anything else.

Hi Sb.

Not advisable really as you are making a false declaration to the Chemist and the Prescribing Authority. A Criminal Offence.

I was asked for mine once when I went to a different Chemist, luckily I had it with me.
They are within their right to make you pay the prescription charges if you do not have the card.

It costs nothing to get the correct form and get it filled in and get the exemption card. Not sure of your age but once you are over 60 you get free prescriptions anyway, so wouldn't need a card.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sugarybibs

Since diabetes meds became except from charges, I also have never had a exemption card. I also assumed that once you give over your prescription to the pharmacy, it was quite evident that you are diabetic and should not be paying for the prescription. Even when I have taken my prescription to another chemist that I don't normally use, I have never had any problems.

Ken, I am unsure as to whether I am commiting a criminal offence. I know you are a ex-police officer, and are well versed on matters concerning issues of this matter, and I very much respect your opinion, but I can say in all honesty that, I was not aware that you needed a exemption card.

Therefore, I think I shall pack my suitcase, and await for the knock at the door and go quietly! :(

Nigel

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Hi Nigel.

Yes, it is a Criminal Offence. Comes under the heading of Obtaining a Pecuniary Advantage by Deception now Part of the Fraud Act 2006.

However, I shouldn't lose any sleep over it. The only time I actually arrested somebody for this we managed to get him a caution as we didn't really think it warranted a prosecution. He, like most people was just ignorant of the law. It is still the law though.

Yes, you should have the card it is not an automatic right.

Hope that clears things up.....a bit ? :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
How To Apply for a Medical Exemption Certificate.

If you suffer from one of the specified conditions ask for an application form FP92A, available from your doctor's surgery. You need to fill in parts 1 and 2 and your doctor (or an authorised member of the practice staff) will sign to confirm the information youve given is correct.

The surgery will arrange to send completed application forms to our office, using pre-paid envelope PPAEXENV, at:

NHS Business Services Authority
Help With Health Costs
Medical Exemption
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE2 1DB

That's all there is to it. No fuss.

stewpid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ken

Presumably you don't need an exemption certificate if, like me, you live in Wales, where nobody pays for prescriptions any more.

Regards

Stewart

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Aaah, Wales. Lovely Country.
As you say it is different there......lucky bu***rs ! :D

Mind you it can get complicated as well. Have a read of this from the NHS Wales site.
From April 1st 2007 the NHS prescription charge was abolished for people in Wales.

Who is entitled to free prescriptions?
All patients registered with a Welsh GP, who get their prescriptions from a Welsh pharmacist, will be entitled to free prescriptions.

Welsh patients who have an English GP and who get their prescriptions from a Welsh pharmacist will still be entitled to free prescriptions. They will need to present their prescription with an accompanying entitlement card.

Along with free prescriptions, charges for wigs and appliances will also be abolished. Patients who receive these services from an English NHS Trust should have their costs met by their Local Health Board.

Along with free prescriptions, charges for wigs and appliances will also be abolished.

Hope that helps ?

stewpid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for that Ken.

Although I've got a number of problems, the need for "wigs and appliances" hasn't yet arisen. :lol:

sugarybibs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
moaning people who have nothing wrong with them
cugila said:
sugarybibs said:

Hi Sb.

Not advisable really as you are making a false declaration to the Chemist and the Prescribing Authority. A Criminal Offence.

I was asked for mine once when I went to a different Chemist, luckily I had it with me.
They are within their right to make you pay the prescription charges if you do not have the card.

It costs nothing to get the correct form and get it filled in and get the exemption card. Not sure of your age but once you are over 60 you get free prescriptions anyway, so wouldn't need a card.
How can i be making a criminal offence.My insulin needles etc is free anyway.as ive said before i dont even know what an exemption card is as ive never ever been told about one or even asked for one and i am not over 60

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Hi Sb.
Read the post please. I know you must find it confusing. The law is always a minefield for the unwary. I am not making it up. Ignorance of any law is no defence ? Here is the actual Act and Section which covers the offence.

Section 11 of the Fraud Act makes it a statutory offence to obtain services dishonestly; meaning that services which were to be paid for were obtained with the knowledge OR intention that no payment would be made. A person found guilty of this will be liable to a fine or imprisonment for up to twelve months on summary conviction (six months in Northern Ireland), or a fine or imprisonment for up to five years on conviction on indictment.

Here is the link to a post on how to apply for an exemption card
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10447&p=99022#p97947

It's a simple process.

What you do is entirely up to you. I just give you the facts. Which are correct.

clairea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who are ignorant,
Hi.

Thanks Goji for posting the previous thread. Very helpful. :D

tulip87.

Here is the phone number to ring about your lost card.
Please contact us on 0845 601 8076 and we will advise you what to do.

If you do pay for any prescriptions in the meantime you should be able to claim themn back, just remember to keep the receipts.
That number is not valid anymore

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That number is not valid anymore

Hi the thread is 10 years old so that may explain it.
I just had my letter saying my card was expiring after 5 years but I'm afraid I shredded it so can't give you the updated number.
Never used the card either.
I'm sure Dr Google can help though.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How can i be making a criminal offence.My insulin needles etc is free anyway.as ive said before i dont even know what an exemption card is as ive never ever been told about one or even asked for one and i am not over 60
Not to worry. I don't think you could be committing an offense unless you were asked to produce a card and refused to. As a type 1 diabetic you are exempt.
My GP organised the card for me but I don't show it now nor am I asked to EVER.
There is not much of a black market for diabetic drugs etc. so I cannot imagine a pharmacist being overly dilligent and they certainly aren't with me! Don't try and claim for any wigs mind you!!