Just changed my canula and blood everywhere

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
Hi I have been pumping for 3 years almost and never had this before. I just changed my kit and after unsticking the old canula and pulling it out I was priming the new one to go in and felt a drip. When I looked there was blood everywhere running out of the old site. I applied pressure and when I removed it, the cloth it was still pouring blood.
I have never known this- it was in my stomach. Has anyone else had this. I have had several hypos over the last few days so assume this is the reason. Was I just unlucky?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Had this happen two weeks ago on the stomach, removed Pod and starting bleeding out and it soaked a hanky before it stopped, the most likely explanation is you ruptured one of the small capillary vessels that lay close to the skin, I would occasionally bleed after a injection pre-pump.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Must be a bleeder day, I had exactly the same problem at lunchtime. It's only the second one I've had in almost 8 years of pumping.

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
Thanks- reassuring to know that it does happen to others.

irrationalJohn

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Has anyone else had this?
Oh, yeah. I would go so far as to say that if happens sooner or later to anyone who pumps. It's just a matter of time and chance.

Has anyone else had this. I have had several hypos over the last few days so assume this is the reason. Was I just unlucky?
I don't really know, of course. But in my case I have always associated a bleeder with poor absorption and potentially high BG. You are probably wondering if the bleeder implies that your insulin was going directly into your bloodstream. I don't think it works that way. I suggest you also consider other possible reasons for you recent hypos.

Last edited by a moderator:

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It must be the weather!! I had a bleeder this weekend too - first I've had for months and months.

I find the stomach ones the worse. I once had to catch the blood in my cupped hand while I was trying to get some tissues. After that, I used to make sure I had something nearby when changing a cannula.

I haven't found bleeders to be associated with hypos as such, but sometimes I've found they affect absorption.

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
So sorry to hear of all the bleeders over the past few days, I hope you are all bled out now and feeling better ( I am not on a pump)
Take care RRB x

Reactions: 4 people

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
I have been on the pump a month and I have already had a bleeder!! I was slightly drunk when I changed my set (on holiday and yes, I know, in hindsight it probably wasn't the best of plans as I'd had a couple of drinks!). I ripped the old one out and it bled really badly (to the point where I started going light headed as there was so much blood! Lol!) I had to lie down on the bed and keep a hanky pressed against it for a good couple of minutes before it stopped! Nice bruise left afterwards too... that'll teach me! Lol! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

irrationalJohn

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I was slightly drunk when I changed my set
Well, stuff happens, of course.

When I can get myself to plan ahead I try to organize my set changes around a shower for at least two reasons.

First, if I happen to get a bleeder I'd rather have it happen when I am naked or at least close to it so that I don't have to worry about getting blood stains out of my clothers.

Second, I want to insert after I have washed the area with soap and water to lessen the chance of infection. I have only had one infusion site get infected over my 18 years or so of pumping, but that was more than enough, thank you very much. Taking an extra step to perhaps reduce the risk of infection even if only by a little bit makes sense to anyone who's had to deal with an infected site. What a PITA! :eek:

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
Yes, I usually have a shower/bath shortly before a set change for exactly the same reason! As I said, I won't be making a habit of doing set changes after a coupkebof drinks, it was only because I was on my holiday and not in my usual routine at all! ;-)

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I have been pumping for 3 years almost and never had this before. I just changed my kit and after unsticking the old canula and pulling it out I was priming the new one to go in and felt a drip. When I looked there was blood everywhere running out of the old site. I applied pressure and when I removed it, the cloth it was still pouring blood.
I have never known this- it was in my stomach. Has anyone else had this. I have had several hypos over the last few days so assume this is the reason. Was I just unlucky?

Common for me when i left steel sets in three days or forgot and left to three and a half or 4 (advice to me years ago used to be 3 days), OK if change every 2 days as now advised . Still happens sometimes.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Had this 2 times in 5 years so not common but not nice either. My most recent one I had also had hypos like you but set felt comfy and no reason to suspect. When I pulled set I was standing in our bathroom and the blood shot across it before I even knew what had happened. Staggered over to grab some loo roll whilst poured blood everywhere, applied pressure and called hubby up because I hate blood. As he came in he was gobsmacked at all the blood and couldn't believe it had all come from "one little hole"!!

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Had this 2 times in 5 years so not common but not nice either. My most recent one I had also had hypos like you but set felt comfy and no reason to suspect. When I pulled set I was standing in our bathroom and the blood shot across it before I even knew what had happened. Staggered over to grab some loo roll whilst poured blood everywhere, applied pressure and called hubby up because I hate blood. As he came in he was gobsmacked at all the blood and couldn't believe it had all come from "one little hole"!!

I never had anything like that! just once i think i hit a blood capillary, but the set wasn't painless and i removed it in an hour. Lots of blood, to me, is a few teaspoons. My bleeds never led to hypos, but sometimes i got high readings later, maybe because insulin still in the area was in the blood loss

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Just had exactly what the op mentioned. Took the old set out and blood everywhere. All over my white shirt. Oh well!