Walking what do you have to do to cope?

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm wondering about different sports. As some may have read I struggle extremely to do sports without complications. As my doctor says I have done it all! There is nothing we can do to help! Only a c g m will help. Financially I can't get one so I'm reaching out to see what you think. I went for a twenty minute walk, reduction of 70% no injection for food drop from 12 to 5 within half an hour put the reduction on 2 hours before. Love to hear thoughts. I've decided hopefully people won't mind but each time I exercise to record on the forum the results to get feedback and tips hope that's ok

debsugs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have just started to exercise since being diagnosed, it's really scary! I went out for a coastal walk went from 9 to 3 in 45 mins! Today I have been swimming, reduced lantus and halved pre meal, bm was 7 when I left so had some juice, 10.3 an hour after, last time it hit me next day. Will reduce lantus tomorrow also!

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I do lots of walking but I'm on a pump. I reduce my basal to 60% two hours before walk and it keeps me steady. On injections it was more tricky. I would advise to start a walk when you don't have much insulin working, for example 3 hours after breakfast. Then have a lunch with half of your normal dose (I'm talking here about long walks). Test and have snacks when needed. After every walk record your readings and act upon that next time.
If you have split dose of long acting, you may reduce by a bit.
Also, the fitter you get the smaller reduction you will need

Reactions: 2 people

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you for the replies. I am on a pump and desperate to work out. I find I'm more sensitive the last year or so which sucks but thank you for suggestions. I'm struggling with small walks long swimming etc

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Walking drops my blood glucose more than almost any other activity - it seems to be just the right (wrong) level of v gentle cardio to send me hypo after about 40 mins guaranteed (unless I eat something).

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, when I started walking regularly, I had to put huge reductions on my basal rate and the preceding bolus. But a year later, my TDD is between 3 and 5 units less and I no longer really need to reduce my basal, which is interesting. I still avoid working out or walking while I have a bolus on board if I can. If I can't avoid it, I either 'go traditional' and carry/consume extra carbs, or if I have chance to plan, I reduce my bolus (down to 30% usually).

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For me, it's been an issue of "When" rather than "What."

Everyday from 6am-8am I have "Dawn Phenomena." Rather than correct it with insulin, I instead choose to exercise at this time.

Essentially, my "cope" has been to workout in the mornings rather than the evenings.

Of course, I should mention that I'm only recently diagnosed and I do expect many things to change for me over time. However, it seems to be working well for now.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I'm wondering about different sports. As some may have read I struggle extremely to do sports without complications. As my doctor says I have done it all! There is nothing we can do to help! Only a c g m will help. Financially I can't get one so I'm reaching out to see what you think. I went for a twenty minute walk, reduction of 70% no injection for food drop from 12 to 5 within half an hour put the reduction on 2 hours before. Love to hear thoughts. I've decided hopefully people won't mind but each time I exercise to record on the forum the results to get feedback and tips hope that's ok

I honestly think you have a major problem with your basal pattern. It just doesn't sound correct. This is speaking from experience from my pump start many years ago.
As I think has been mentioned before you need to go right back to basics and sort out your basal before everything else.

If you basal test how are you basal testing, would be my first question.

Reactions: 2 people

BethTwydall

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
****** doctors
There's a great book by Ginger Vieira called your diabetes science experiment I found it really useful when I changed my exercise routine! Definitely worth a read, there's a kindle version too.

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Carb rok thank you for your input. Just to clarify I have been on a pump for 6 years and I test between 10-20 a day. My basal rates have been modified and checked regularly with the consultant and myself. I understand where your thinking from with your comments however one thing I can assure you on is everything has been checked. I even have basal rates for different events such as Illness. I can also say I have gone back to basics many times. Presently I'm experimenting to see if I missed anything

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
Important thing to know is that when you commence exercising the reduction of insulin will be greater initially then as you get get fitter you might need to reduce those corrections. I cycle to work and gym 3 mornings a week however when I change my gym program I have to watch the bgl levels closely and usually reduce the dose for awhile then it settles after that.
David

Reactions: 4 people