Has Anyone Had a Good Experience of Metformin?

Tirianne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've started drinking 20g cider vinegar + hot water + a small amount of Stevia before meals. (I'm getting used to it!!) It will be interesting to monitor BG levels over the next week or so to see if there are any changes. It's mostly the fasting BG levels first thing in the morning that I'd like to get lower, without taking any more Metformin - but any reduction in overall BS would be great.
My latest HbA1C result was 53 - down from 81 in June :)

Reactions: 6 people

Kayla

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take metformin and find it really good but my body can only handle the slow modified release version.

Reactions: 4 people

Klangley

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a couple of more days into taking Metformin and my stomach seems to be settling down. Still a bit windy but otherwise good. However the really exciting development is that this morning my reading was 4.9 pre dinner was 4.8 and 2 hours after dinner 5.3! My best day's results and first time under 5 when waking :) Something is working..........

Reactions: 6 people

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
I am a couple of more days into taking Metformin and my stomach seems to be settling down. Still a bit windy but otherwise good. However the really exciting development is that this morning my reading was 4.9 pre dinner was 4.8 and 2 hours after dinner 5.3! My best day's results and first time under 5 when waking :) Something is working..........
Good for you
Seen your sig results good work

Reactions: 2 people

Wilki.356

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done, stick with it.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I miss the metformin days. Now on insulin and feel I'm adding weight. Something drastic might have to be done. I cannot afford to add anymore weight. Wish metformin or similar was available to me now. I thought it was a brilliant tablet for type 2 diabetes!

S

Sean01

I may possibly be in a minority here. Diagnosed 6th October 2015. Immediately prescribed Metformin twice a day. So far weight loss is heading towards 4 stone. I am extremely careful about what I eat. I have cut out everything right down to bad veggies and fruit. No milk in tea, no bread, pasta, rice or potatoes. No cakes, sweets, biscuits etc. My only indulgence is a few plain nuts or seeds (pumpkin seeds have stopped the night time trips to the bathroom down to one a night.) I only drink water and strong black coffee (in moderation). I have a splash of milk with a 1/4 tea cup of oaty cereal (Jordans) as an evening snack - literally one mouth ful - but I have learned to make it last. I eat at least one meal a day with CHOPSTICKS - it works.
On the 5th October, my blood pressure was at the high end of normal. On the 13th November it was 118/58 or 54 - either way the BP of a healthy teenager. (I'm 50!!).I may have actually added years to my life.
Metformin is WORKING for me but I will be the first to admit, my strictness on the diet may border 'insane'
I will not be beaten by Type 2.
I follow an insanely strict GI based diet
I will not join in at restaurants, birthday parties or on tea and cakes on Sunday afternoons
Alcohol: one whisky nightcap on holiday for 2 weeks a year. A few shorts on Saturdays in October, a small ice cold lager whilst cooking the Christmas lunch. Other than that: water. ( I use a Glen Morangie 18 year old as a cooking whisky. What I actually drink neat and from a glass is something else! )

S

Sean01

When initially diagnosed, I was offered Metformin and politely declined. Since then I have been diagnosed with a fatty liver (a huge relief given some of the things I thought might be wrong with me). When I spoke to the consultant following the second diagnosis he said I should consider Metformin as it could have positive benefits for the fatty liver and Diabetes. He also suggested it would help with weight loss. He emphasised I should only consider this as my diet (LCHF) and exercise were already moving things in the right direction. But I did come away from that meeting with the Consultant thinking, perhaps I will give it a try.

Problem is searching through the forum there was no shortage of members with a poor experience with this drug.......anyone with a positive experience? Has it significantly altered your numbers? Do you think it has helped you lose weight? Or has it just had you farting like a trooper and afraid to stray too far from the bathroom :)
Positive experience - me!!! I almost begged to get a repeat prescription - scroll down for how its working for me. Good luck

S

Sean01

Read the Blood Sugar 101. Thanks CatLadyNZ. My one warning though is that you really need to read virtually every page on the Site. Some of that content in isolation can be very scary. The key thing I took away is that the 'excellent management' levels promoted by some in the NHS are simply wrong....you need to be going much lower. If Metformin can get me there quicker its less time with harmful sugar levels circulating my body its got to worth a shot, right? Well that's my feeling today.....give me 5 minutes though and I will probably change my mind. Would definitely try the SR route first.

Thanks for all of you that took the time to reply. Since my initial post, I have found numerous posts where this is touched upon. Thanks for your understanding and resisting the temptation to say, 'use the search function stupid'. :)
Good weight loss - crack on and keep it off!

Reactions: 4 people

Klangley

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Like you I am actually very disciplined, in my case on LCHF, and determined I am not going to be beaten by diabetes. 4 stone though......that is phenomenal!

My diet hasn't stopped me eating out, I just have to be even more disciplined. I when out for a meal Saturday night and just had the Rib-Eye and some salad.....I never ate sweet stuff anyway so that bit is easy. I also volunteered to drive so won some brownie points as well. I have been staying away from the alcohol which for me is the real challenge of the last 9 weeks. I have had perhaps 3 glasses of red wine.....definitely not whiskey, that's a real weakness of mine....so you have me intrigued.....what whiskey do you drink then?

Wilki.356

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Keep at it mate. I've found it takes time to really take effect, then tweak your diet to really get your levels in range.
I've also found reducing your carb intake helps just recently.
Stay focused and keep up the positive vibe. Your doing well.