2 X Type 1's = ?

CDM9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just pondering what the chances of a man and woman both with type 1 having a child with type 1? Guessing it's a high chance rate? Also does that increase risk of complications during pregnancy? Has this actually ever occurred? Does anybody know?!

Met a great guy .... turns out he's also a type 1... What are the chances?!?! Good but also bad...

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just pondering what the chances of a man and woman both with type 1 having a child with type 1? Guessing it's a high chance rate? Also does that increase risk of complications during pregnancy? Has this actually ever occurred? Does anybody know?!

Met a great guy .... turns out he's also a type 1... What are the chances?!?! Good but also bad...
Surprisingly not that high. In my book it says 30% (mother type 1, father type 1 only 1-3%). Go for it ;)

Reactions: 2 people

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am type 1 (runs in my family) and my ex husbands mother is type 1, our daughter is also type 1.

martsnow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Apparently, it all has to do, with whether the gene carried, is either dominant or recessive
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Type 1 diabetes is a polygenic disease, meaning many different genes contribute to its onset. Depending on locus or combination of loci, it can be dominant, recessive, or somewhere in between.

That results in some interesting, albeit complex, expressions:

The risk of a child developing type 1 diabetes is about 10% if the father has it, about 10% if a sibling has it, about 4% if the mother has type 1 diabetes and was aged 25 or younger when the child was born, and about 1% if the mother was over 25 years old when the child was born.

Diabetes mellitus Type 2 does have genetic components, but the vast majority merely increase therisk of developing Type 2 Diabetes. Environmental factors play a large role in Type 2.

Excess body fat is associated with 30% of cases in those of Chinese and Japanese descent, 60-80% of cases in those of European and African descent, and 100% of Pima Indians and Pacific Islanders.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also see

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-and-genetics.html

Dont know if this helps or complicates things

Mart

Last edited by a moderator:

CDM9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And I'm guessing there's no way of finding out re genes?!

30% isn't as high as I thought but still a good percentage and I wouldn't want to bring type 1 on anyone!!