Where are you on the global fat scale?

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
OK I know this isn't a weight watchers forum, before anyone points that out. This is just a bit of fun so I thought I'd put it in the general chat forum. You enter your age, gender, weight and height, and as well as getting your BMI you are also told how it compares with similar people in other countries.

According to this I had a BMI of 27 (overweight) three months ago, the equivalent of someone like me in Turkey.
Now I am BMI of 24 (healthy range) and the equivalent of someone like me in China. Where is your equivalent?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18770328

Reactions: 4 people

martsnow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK I know this isn't a weight watchers forum, before anyone points that out. This is just a bit of fun so I thought I'd put it in the general chat forum. You enter your age, gender, weight and height, and as well as getting your BMI you are also told how it compares with similar people in other countries.

According to this I had a BMI of 27 (overweight) three months ago, the equivalent of someone like me in Turkey.
Now I am BMI of 24 (healthy range) and the equivalent of someone like me in China. Where is your equivalent?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18770328

I thought I was just big boned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

upload_2015-11-16_19-15-47.png

I THINK I AM MOVING TO ARGENTINA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
lol I'm not saying. The reply was far too embarassing and definitely 'fattist'.

Reactions: 8 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Uzbekistan! Woo hoo!

BMI. 26, below average!

Woo hoo!

Sorry @zand

Woo hoo!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Where are you on the global fat scale?

Height
Select: | Feet

Weight
Select: Kilograms | Pounds | Stone

Country

GO
Your numbers
Obesity Index
23bmi
BMI is an estimate of how "overweight" or "obese" a person is
National
Below average
You have a lower BMI than 84% of females aged 45-59 in your country
Global
Below average
You have a lower BMI than 64% of females aged 45-59 in the world

Did you know?
If everyone in the world had the same BMI as you, it would remove 8,907,267 tonnes from the total weight of the world's population
You're most like someone from East Timor*
* Compared with other females aged 45-59 in East Timor
Share your result

Bic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi. I've got a BMI of 23 and they say it's below average for women of my age in my country (Italy). I'm more like the average woman of my age in Indonesia.
I'll stress that 'below average' next time my endo will ask me to step on the scale, wholly dressed and with my shoes and overcoat on (they do like this, here in Italy: what about other countries? Do you also have to go on the scale with your shoes and overcoat on? I think this is just a way to make patients feel like ****, and guilty and overweight whatever they real weight is… though they say it's just for 'saving time'. Saving time my shoe!). By the way: I'm type 1 and never was overweight, so why did I feel compelled to check about my BMI? Oh well: it was nice taking a little break for a bit of fun.:)

Reactions: 5 people

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am. at the very bottom of the list :( 18 Bangladesh !!!!
CAROL

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apparently I'm most like someone from Zimbabwe? :***:

Seems unlikely, though my BMI is (nowadays :)) in the normal range, but that's the trouble with sites like this - they tend to over-generalise. For starters, I'm not having to live in a nation with a trashed economy and a brutal dictator in charge. Oh; hang on a minute, erm.... :D

Reactions: 10 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'll stress that 'below average' next time my endo will ask me to step on the scale, wholly dressed and with my shoes and overcoat on (they do like this, here in Italy: what about other countries? Do you also have to go on the scale with your shoes and overcoat on? I think this is just a way to make patients feel like ****, and guilty and overweight whatever they real weight is… though they say it's just for 'saving time'. Saving time my shoe!).
Hi @Bic! I don't know if all UK doctors and nurses are the same, but mine do tell me to take off my coat and shoes when they weigh me. I am tempted to ask if I can strip down to my briefs as I'm sure my trousers, belt, shirt and socks must add a couple of pounds - they do on my scales at home.:D

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Ethiopia. So being a child of the 70s I know have images of Bob Geldof swooping in to feed me.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ethiopia. So being a child of the 70s I know have images of Bob Geldof swooping in to feed me.
I was a child of the 60s and was really skinny then. At school my mates used to joke that I could be a model for Oxfam. :D
Unfortunately mainly as a result of a misspent 20s and 30s in sundry hostelries drinking a million pints of Guinness I doubled my weight from 6 stone when I was 18 to over 12 stone. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your numbers
Obesity Index
27bmi
National
Below average
You have a lower BMI than 64% of males aged 45-59 in the UK

Global
Above average
You have a higher BMI than 68% of males aged 45-59 in the world

You're most like someone from Switzerland*

*Too much Chocolate I guess!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ha Ha Ha!
All I can say is that Tonga must be the sexiest place in the world if it is filled with women of my statuesque munificence...
<<<<<<< (see pic on left)

Reactions: 11 people

Phub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Hate the doctor's surgery. The Doctor is okay though.
What's the significance of BMI when men like Arnold Schwarzenegger and Lawrence Dallaglio have weight-height ratios registering as obese. I don't think I would tell them they are 'fat'! Would you? :blackeye:.

Surely it would be better to asses a person's percentage of fat as a more reliable indicator of obesity. (But really, when it comes down to it, all we need to do is strip off and look in a full length mirror. (Or catch a surprise glimpse of ourselves on a video; as I did recently at a wedding!) That soon tells you if you are 'big'.

Reactions: 6 people

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What's the significance of BMI when men like Arnold Schwarzenegger and Lawrence Dallaglio have weight-height ratios registering as obese. I don't think I would tell them they are 'fat'! Would you? :blackeye:.

Surely it would be better to asses a person's percentage of fat as a more reliable indicator of obesity. (But really, when it comes down to it, all we need to do is strip off and look in a full length mirror. (Or catch a surprise glimpse of ourselves on a video; as I did recently at a wedding!) That soon tells you if you are 'big'.

I agree with that, but most people aren't built like Arnold Schwarzenegger or Lawrence Dallaglio so it's a reasonable indicator for the majority of the population :)

A year ago, my BMI was 37 and I thought the same thing that BMI was pointless and I'd look like a skeleton if I had a BMI of < 25. However, I've now got a BMI of 23 and still don't look like a skeleton ;)