1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Where are you on the global fat scale?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Prem51, Nov 16, 2015.

1. jay hay-char

jay hay-char Type 2 · Well-Known Member

A great deal of truth in this, particularly with regard to looking in the mirror and watching yourself on video. My weight has gone up and down over the years and is presently in a happy place, but I still cringe at footage taken, nearly twenty years ago, of me in a swimming pool with my then two-year-old daughter. Not a pretty sight, and one that prompted one of my occasional serious stabs at weight loss over the years.

Muscle is heavier than fat and I think most seriously muscly people don't conform to the norm and that healthcare professionals take this into account when assessing the BMI of such people. As an aside: is it just me who thinks that seriously muscly people, like professional body builders, for example, look massively abnormal and shouldn't necessarily be categorised as having a "healthy" physique, whatever that means?

.... That's before you even start on stuff like the steroids that they neck to bulk up their muscles; but I am veering off topic now ....

• Like Like x 4
  2. Phub

Phub Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I agree with you about 'body-builders, and their physiology. But the fact is, as you said, muscle is denser than fat, and the same volume of muscle would weigh more than the fat, which might mean they are in fact overweight for their height. After all I suppose the heart doesn't know whether it is fat or muscle that's the burden. A sports fanatic would have a healthy heart of course, capable of supporting the extra weight.

I don't think all body-builders take steroids though. I never did when I joined a gym. On the other hand I never felt the need to become super 'muscly'. Just wanted to trim me down. It didn't work, so I saved my money, and started walking in Wales etc! That didn't work either until I stopped eating bread and spuds so much! :D

• Like Like x 4
  3. Sucre Bleu

Sucre Bleu Type 1 · Well-Known Member

OK, I typoed 165 metres as my height and it said I had a BMI of zero and was from Bangladesh, har'fixed it to 1.65 metres and suddenly I was from Uganda:p

• Like Like x 6
  4. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Keep trying - Tonga is clearly the place to be! But you might have to sit on the ground to qualify.
    :D:D:D

• Like Like x 4
  5. Cumberland

Cumberland Type 1 · Master

BMI of 25 below the UK average and above average globally and similar to Ukraine
    so that means I am a global porker and a skinny Brit lol

• Like Like x 2
  6. AndBreathe

AndBreathe I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I'm with you in Bangladesh, Carty.

What I want too know is, how they knew I luuuuuurve curry and look like a native when I've spent some time in the sun?

• Like Like x 2
  7. Squire Fulwood

Squire Fulwood Type 2 · Expert

Micronesia and it's not good.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Squire Fulwood

Squire Fulwood Type 2 · Expert

Yes I remember Idi Amin, slim fellow. Well maybe you would have been better to have stayed with Bangladesh.

9. Celeriac

Celeriac Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I got less than the UK average and I'm average for a country I can't spell, haven't heard of before and don't know where it is. So that wasn't terribly helpful.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook