You will have to pay the meal price!

Evelynross

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If your with a 'normal ', take chips n give it to them, they can order a sarnie or something. I do see your point, your being charged for something you CANT eat

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It seems to me, that stores and restaurants fall over themselves now, to offer gluten-free, dairy-free, vegetarian and vegan food, but when it comes to diabetes, we're seen as gluttonous people who brought it upon ourselves.

Having diabetes can make you feel a pariah. There's no effort made, to accommodate people with or without diabetes who low carb.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I've found in recent weeks that if I go in to a restaurant and order a meal, ask them to serve it without the chips, rice or carby whatever and smile ruefully and say I've got a sort of allergy and that my digestive system can't cope with that item, I've invariably been asked if I would like a substitute. No mention of low carbing or diabetes necessary.

Reactions: 4 people

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaning for moanings sake!!
I've found in recent weeks that if I go in to a restaurant and order a meal, ask them to serve it without the chips, rice or carby whatever and smile ruefully and say I've got a sort of allergy and that my digestive system can't cope with that item, I've invariably been asked if I would like a substitute. No mention of low carbing or diabetes necessary.
Wouldn't it b brilliant if someone opened a lchf restaurant I think it would make a fortune!!

toulouse-tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Eating out can be difficult! Canteens particularly - as the staff have very little control over the rules. In general I make it clear that I'm diabetic to the staff or management if handy and carb heavy food is dangerous for me. In the end a letter of complaint up the chain of command is the only way. Send a letter to the chancellor of the university and copy it to the professor in charge of the medical school if it has one and the procurement department...British food culture is way behind on this I'm afraid...

jopar

A diabetic can eat a normal diet, so choosing to eat a specific diet is down to personal choice... So expecting an food establishment to reduce the cost, because you've chosen not to have particular item that's inclusive in the price.... Is kinda of wrong..

I had a meal the other day, a lovely roast meal with all the trimmings, well except the brussels sprouts, when I saw how much they were dishing up, I asked the counter assistant if he would put half portions on the plate as I wouldn't be able to eat it all, it didn't enter my mind to ask or expect them to reduce the price for me....

Reactions: 2 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
A diabetic can eat a normal diet, so choosing to eat a specific diet is down to personal choice... So expecting an food establishment to reduce the cost, because you've chosen not to have particular item that's inclusive in the price.... Is kinda of wrong..
From your point of view, yes. But the OP is a T2, no meds.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

I had a meal the other day, a lovely roast meal with all the trimmings, well except the brussels sprouts, when I saw how much they were dishing up, I asked the counter assistant if he would put half portions on the plate as I wouldn't be able to eat it all, it didn't enter my mind to ask or expect them to reduce the price for me....

A lot can't jopar, if they are not on any medication for diabetes, pre diabetic, type 2's and want to stay meds free. If I was type 2, I would want to keep away from medication ( especially the metformin/ metfartin) if I possibly could and really wanted to.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Once again we need to remember that type 1 D and the type 2 group are different diseases!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
If people need or want smaller portions just ask for a child's portion.

As I understand it most cafes have tills set up with the price of a meal advertised, so staff can not start charging less just because someone doesn't want or can not for dietary reasons have certain parts of a meal advertised.

Easiest option though is always find a place doing a buffet meal at a set price.

Ann1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for your opinions. I am glad my post inspired such a variety of topics. Let me add my thoughts, a day later.

I feel much calmer tonight, and I do not consider this a big deal any more, also due to what some of you wrote. I do not feel 'wronged' as much any more. I do not agree with a University cafe serving an unbalanced meal and operating in such a business-like manner. However, I did what I could and am willing to let go of this now. I believe I behaved respectfully in the cafe and the complaint email I wrote was brief, friendly, unemotional and constructive. I did not rant anywhere else, other than in this forum, where I finally let off the steam. Today I brought my own lunch again, which was much enjoyed.

Regarding the wording, the pricing in the cafe is price discrimination, in a marketing and economics sense. A 3-for-2 offer is price discrimination too. This is different from, say, discriminating against race or religion, and I did not mean to set these equal.

I was wrong when I wrote about illness above. Diabetes is a disease and I am actually very healthy. First, when I read the replies, I thought it is just wording, but it is not as simple. There have been many changes in my life, and I have been somewhat frustrated that the b***y diabetes is still there, although quite well managed during the last few weeks. I know that, mostly, I appear strong to others, and believe I have presented myself as strong in this forum in the past, but I am just human and the diabetes reminds me of the fact that I am not invincible. My usual approach is to bring my own lunch, seek out other options, pay more for my food, etc. etc. I am not sure what exactly triggered my emotional reaction yesterday. One thing I could have done, and was too proud to do was to be more honest and tell the serving lady that I was confused and wanted to have either some help or time to browse the available food options. Sometimes I need to remind myself that others might see a tall, athletic, slim (add any nice words here ;)) woman, when actually I feel small, insecure and vulnerable. It is then up to me to ask for what need or show some vulnerability, as appropriate. When I am then rejected, I need to live with it, but at least I tried.
You are not ill, you have a condition!!

Phlogiston

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, ofsted inspectors, uninvited phonecalls
Many restaurants and cafes do offer the chance to do swaps.
Production line places can be less flexible though.
In my experience, seaside resorts offer poorer choices, as many eating houses are geared up to churn out big helpings of chips. I got a bit tired of Greek salad in the summer - many of the salads on offer were a bit meagre.