1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

You will have to pay the meal price!

Discussion in 'Diabetes Soapbox - Have Your Say' started by Munkki, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Evelynross

Evelynross Type 2 · Well-Known Member

If your with a 'normal ', take chips n give it to them, they can order a sarnie or something. I do see your point, your being charged for something you CANT eat

2. Celeriac

Celeriac Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It seems to me, that stores and restaurants fall over themselves now, to offer gluten-free, dairy-free, vegetarian and vegan food, but when it comes to diabetes, we're seen as gluttonous people who brought it upon ourselves.

Having diabetes can make you feel a pariah. There's no effort made, to accommodate people with or without diabetes who low carb.

3. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I've found in recent weeks that if I go in to a restaurant and order a meal, ask them to serve it without the chips, rice or carby whatever and smile ruefully and say I've got a sort of allergy and that my digestive system can't cope with that item, I've invariably been asked if I would like a substitute. No mention of low carbing or diabetes necessary.

• Like Like x 4
  4. amanda19640

amanda19640 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it b brilliant if someone opened a lchf restaurant I think it would make a fortune!!

5. Celeriac

Celeriac Type 2 · Well-Known Member

There was a Paleo resto in London, they didn't and closed :(

6. amanda19640

amanda19640 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

What a shame

7. toulouse-tom

toulouse-tom Type 2 · Member

Eating out can be difficult! Canteens particularly - as the staff have very little control over the rules. In general I make it clear that I'm diabetic to the staff or management if handy and carb heavy food is dangerous for me. In the end a letter of complaint up the chain of command is the only way. Send a letter to the chancellor of the university and copy it to the professor in charge of the medical school if it has one and the procurement department...British food culture is way behind on this I'm afraid...

• Like Like x 4
  8. jopar

jopar · Well-Known Member

A diabetic can eat a normal diet, so choosing to eat a specific diet is down to personal choice... So expecting an food establishment to reduce the cost, because you've chosen not to have particular item that's inclusive in the price.... Is kinda of wrong..

I had a meal the other day, a lovely roast meal with all the trimmings, well except the brussels sprouts, when I saw how much they were dishing up, I asked the counter assistant if he would put half portions on the plate as I wouldn't be able to eat it all, it didn't enter my mind to ask or expect them to reduce the price for me....

• Like Like x 2
  9. DeejayR

DeejayR Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

From your point of view, yes. But the OP is a T2, no meds.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

A lot can't jopar, if they are not on any medication for diabetes, pre diabetic, type 2's and want to stay meds free. If I was type 2, I would want to keep away from medication ( especially the metformin/ metfartin) if I possibly could and really wanted to.

• Like Like x 2
  11. CollieBoy

CollieBoy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Once again we need to remember that type 1 D and the type 2 group are different diseases!

• Like Like x 2
  12. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If people need or want smaller portions just ask for a child's portion.

As I understand it most cafes have tills set up with the price of a meal advertised, so staff can not start charging less just because someone doesn't want or can not for dietary reasons have certain parts of a meal advertised.

Easiest option though is always find a place doing a buffet meal at a set price.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Ann1

Ann1 Type 1 · Member

You are not ill, you have a condition!!

14. Phlogiston

Phlogiston Gestational · Well-Known Member

Many restaurants and cafes do offer the chance to do swaps.
    Production line places can be less flexible though.
    In my experience, seaside resorts offer poorer choices, as many eating houses are geared up to churn out big helpings of chips. I got a bit tired of Greek salad in the summer - many of the salads on offer were a bit meagre.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook