Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
Well been up the hospital this morning and I have been put forward for the pump

A1c was 48, the best it's been but he downloaded my blood results from my meter and saw the ups and downs so it's a false positive result.

Start date should be 7th December

Reactions: 11 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad to hear your news! Best of luck @Gaz-M
Edited bcause I got my lines crossed!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

A1c was 48, the best it's been but he downloaded my blood results from my meter and saw the ups and downs so it's a false positive result.

So pleased for you Gaz, a new beginning for you after so many years of diabetes. Wishing you all the best and good luck :)

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
Have you decided on which pump you are going for?
yeah I chose a month or so back, maybe the wrong one after reading all the problems with infusion sets etc at present but as I would not be using a CGM I went for the insight pump.

lely

I too have been given 7th Dec for my pump start appointment, I'm so happy but I'm not sure if I get to use the pump from that day or its just a training appointment. My DSN told me to get the insulin in vial from gp to take with me but my GP was reluctant to prescribe it as they've not received a letter from the hospital informing them of the change.
My A1c has never been below 10.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I,m getting a 2 or 3 hour traning session but do start the pump on the 7th and I have to get the insulin vial from the Drs by prescription my DSN said she was going to fax the letter to my GP. What pump did you choose? and wow that is a high A1c so hope the pump helps you alot with that :)

lely

Ive chosen the animas vibe coz of the waterproof aspect. I only learnt to swim within the last to years and go to swim about 3 times a week, so it suited me. Yes my control is all over the place lowest it's ever been is 9. And I've been diagnosed 9 years in Jan.
Well I'll be checking in regular to see how it goes for you.

iHs

I too have been given 7th Dec for my pump start appointment, I'm so happy but I'm not sure if I get to use the pump from that day or its just a training appointment. My DSN told me to get the insulin in vial from gp to take with me but my GP was reluctant to prescribe it as they've not received a letter from the hospital informing them of the change.

I would imagine that you will be pumping with insulin. Until yr GP gets notification from hospital, it's possible to fill pump cartridges from a part used insulin pen cartridge.....think of the pen cartridge as being a long skinny vial of insulin with the rubber membrane at the end just like a vial.

Reactions: 4 people

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
Ive chosen the animas vibe coz of the waterproof aspect. I only learnt to swim within the last to years and go to swim about 3 times a week, so it suited me. Yes my control is all over the place lowest it's ever been is 9. And I've been diagnosed 9 years in Jan.
Well I'll be checking in regular to see how it goes for you.

and I will be seeing how you are getting along too, there is a book on amazon called pumping insulin, you should maybe get a copy before you start on the pump as its a really helpful book, good luck :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Get your DSN to write to your Dr's to add the insulin vials to your prescription, once they receive the letter they'll prescribe the insulin, just be sure that they don't remove your pen cartridges from your prescription as you need them as a back-up in case your pump fails and you have to go back to MDI on a temporary basis.

Reactions: 5 people

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
ahhh thanks noblehead, I was wondering about this.

there is not enough time in the day to do all you want to, been trying to read pumping insulin (I do not like reading hahaha) been re-doing the pump and handsets course on how to use (online) and the normal day to day stuff, work etc :(

I feel shattered and will be totally shattered by the time the 7th comes around, I have booked a week and a day off from work so I can get the basals etc fine tuned but my first day back we have Christmas lunch bookings in, only small 14 people but will be a nasty day as its first day back in work on the pump and will be very stressful :(

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Don't try and do too much @Gaz-M, once you start on the pump all will fall into place.

TBH some of the information & advice in Pumping Insulin didn't really make any sense until I actually started pumping insulin, all pump manufacturers have a good support system in place where you can ask for help if you come unstuck.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
cheers noblehead, I will take your advise and take abit of time for me over the next couple of days and I knowthere is always here if I get stuck :)