Replacement Knee

Janiept

Expert
Knees. What a pain! Put up and shut up seems to be my GP's treatment of choice. I wish she could see me going upstairs on my hands and feet then she might be a bit more helpful :banghead:

Reactions: 2 people

Lorraine deer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Big crowds
Hello everyone, it's three weeks since my op and I still have a lot of pain in my knee. I don't have a lot of movement and find bending the knee is the worst , still that's what the pain killers are for.
Keep on at your doctor Janiept ask for a referral to assess your knees .
I hope all our other post ops are doing well

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
Hello everyone, it's three weeks since my op and I still have a lot of pain in my knee. I don't have a lot of movement and find bending the knee is the worst , still that's what the pain killers are for.
Keep on at your doctor Janiept ask for a referral to assess your knees .
I hope all our other post ops are doing well
Lorraine, been signed off for 12 months, what a lovely feeling. Last week I managed to go down stairs normally without stopping first to think about it. Scar healed very well, all the massaging with Bio Oil is working well. Do this 3 times a day then massage all the leg, even do the other to keep it happy! Still not walked a long way, only around supermarkets, DIY stores, local markets etc but that is going slow and not actually going from here to there at a walking pace. My straight leg work still has a little way to go but that I know can be done as it took me nearly 6 months with my left knee to get the bend I wanted. Doing 3 x 8 mins on my exercise bike which is the best workout I can think of.
Take care everyone listen to your body, don't overdo things and rush, it is time that's the healer in this op.

Lorraine deer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Big crowds
Lorraine, been signed off for 12 months, what a lovely feeling. Last week I managed to go down stairs normally without stopping first to think about it. Scar healed very well, all the massaging with Bio Oil is working well. Do this 3 times a day then massage all the leg, even do the other to keep it happy! Still not walked a long way, only around supermarkets, DIY stores, local markets etc but that is going slow and not actually going from here to there at a walking pace. My straight leg work still has a little way to go but that I know can be done as it took me nearly 6 months with my left knee to get the bend I wanted. Doing 3 x 8 mins on my exercise bike which is the best workout I can think of.
Take care everyone listen to your body, don't overdo things and rush, it is time that's the healer in this op.
Hazel it's great your doing so well, my work will only keep my job for 12 weeks so I have to get a move on. I have to phone them every Friday with an update on my recovery. Today I went to M&S with my sister and it took so much out of me getting around on crutches I think it will be awhile before I try that again.
Keep well

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
Hazel it's great your doing so well, my work will only keep my job for 12 weeks so I have to get a move on. I have to phone them every Friday with an update on my recovery. Today I went to M&S with my sister and it took so much out of me getting around on crutches I think it will be awhile before I try that again.
Keep well
Lorraine, the problem is you feel so well you feel you can do a lot and in reality you have to pace yourself. I do a walk one day and rest most of the next just doing small jobs in the house. Luckily I am retired.

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
Been a while since commenting on this subject but I have been getting on with life and now feel extremely well, walk well, in fact am walking a lot quicker than I used to. Have more energy, no meds, no pain, not limping, walking tall, stand more instead of sitting but still don't have a good nights sleep. Resorting to Kalms this week to try and get a better restful night. Once I wake I am awake for 2 or more hours, seem to sleep better from 5.am. onwards. Crazy.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Been a while since commenting on this subject but I have been getting on with life and now feel extremely well, walk well, in fact am walking a lot quicker than I used to. Have more energy, no meds, no pain, not limping, walking tall, stand more instead of sitting but still don't have a good nights sleep. Resorting to Kalms this week to try and get a better restful night. Once I wake I am awake for 2 or more hours, seem to sleep better from 5.am. onwards. Crazy.
Hi. Really good to hear of your progress. Now that I have two new knees, I am determined to get on with life. I got so fed up of just 'parking' myself on the nearest bench or chair whilst my family and friends enjoyed walking, shopping etc.

I feel pretty good. Have now lost two stones and, that alone, will obviously help my knees and general health. Like you I have more energy. I can walk fairly well, albeit slower than I used to years ago. It was fantastic to be able to sight-see when we visited my daughter in the US earlier this year and she was amazed at the change.

I sleep very well, but am always aware of my knees when turning over in bed. And they are stiff on getting up in the morning.

One thing I would love to know is are you 'aware' of your new knee (or knees)? I must say that I am constantly as they are both still very numb and honestly feel like false knees all the time. My surgeon says that this numbness will never go, and that my brain will eventually adjust and accept it. How do your's feel?

One other thing - I don't think I will ever be happy kneeling down on them.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. Really good to hear of your progress. Now that I have two new knees, I am determined to get on with life. I got so fed up of just 'parking' myself on the nearest bench or chair whilst my family and friends enjoyed walking, shopping etc.

I feel pretty good. Have now lost two stones and, that alone, will obviously help my knees and general health. Like you I have more energy. I can walk fairly well, albeit slower than I used to years ago. It was fantastic to be able to sight-see when we visited my daughter in the US earlier this year and she was amazed at the change.

I sleep very well, but am always aware of my knees when turning over in bed. And they are stiff on getting up in the morning.

One thing I would love to know is are you 'aware' of your new knee (or knees)? I must say that I am constantly as they are both still very numb and honestly feel like false knees all the time. My surgeon says that this numbness will never go, and that my brain will eventually adjust and accept it. How do your's feel?

One other thing - I don't think I will ever be happy kneeling down on them.

Blimey Lynn1, what do you weigh today? I didn't think you had 2 stones to lose!

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Blimey Lynn1, what do you weigh today? I didn't think you had 2 stones to lose!
Still 7st 13lbs. Because of my knees, I had put on a lot of weight and at my heaviest was a fraction under 10 st. Started to loose weight after my first knee op. Then the pre-d saga started and the pounds dropped off with the LCHF way of eating (won't call it a 'diet') and the rest has disappeared after my second knee op and being able to actually walk any distance - something I hadn't been able to do for a few years.

Happy with my latest hbA1c being maintained at 38.

So, all good.

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
Still 7st 13lbs. Because of my knees, I had put on a lot of weight and at my heaviest was a fraction under 10 st. Started to loose weight after my first knee op. Then the pre-d saga started and the pounds dropped off with the LCHF way of eating (won't call it a 'diet') and the rest has disappeared after my second knee op and being able to actually walk any distance - something I hadn't been able to do for a few years.

Happy with my latest hbA1c being maintained at 38.

So, all good.
My knees are numb on the outer sides I just don't think about them Like you I am constantly aware of them turning over in bed at night. I just don't kneel at all. Wish my weight would drop more, only restarted on the LCHF recently so fingers crossed it works.

My hbA1C was 35 in April after the op.

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hello to all,,,,,,can I just say ,,,my knees are killing me,,,,,they are stiff with the cold and aching,,,,,so pillow under the knees when I get into bed.
To all who have had new knees,,and those who are waiting for them,,,,,,I hope we all have comfortable nights,,,,,,and relaxed days,,,,,ttfn from Karen.

Reactions: 3 people

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
Hi Karen, getting better...started leaving pillow off at night and even sleeping better...hope you are OK.

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Hello HazelD, so glad to hear your knees are getting better,,, leaving the pillow out is a very good sign,,,well done for the recovery,,,and your sleep has improved,,so glad,,,,,I still have painful, thick aching knees,,,,so will carry on and keep my moans to a minimum.....ttfn Karen.

Reactions: 5 people

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
We can only keep on as we are...taking one day at a time... Bye for now. HazelD.

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Keep up the good work and the recovery,,,,one day my turn will come,,,,,ttfn Karen.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
All the best friends.
In the last 18 months I have had a knee and hip replacement,both are great and I feel like a new person.

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Wishing your new person,,a great month and a safe time,,,,,,go girl,,,,Karen

Reactions: 6 people

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
Just awaiting results of a blood test. Surgery called me in for test saying it was a 6 monthly routine chechup....April to Jan...6 months? especially as the DN said in April 15 - I didn't need one for 12 months..... anyway fingers crossed it will be OK. Foot check end of March and eyes in May. That's nearly half this year gone already!

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Hello HazelD,,,,,how is the walking going on your new bits?,,,,,I don't think their calendars are on the same timeline as ours,,,,,I make the time at 9 months?,,,,,,I have to make appointments for lipids and sticking pins in my feet,,,,had eyes done,,,,,,time flies when we are having fun with all the appointments,
well I will get told off,,,,,my legs, bum and over all weight are still too much for my knee replacements,,,,
as a pear shaped person,,,,more william pear than conference pear,,,,just cannot get the energy to get things going,,,,,ttfn from Karen.

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
Hello HazelD,,,,,how is the walking going on your new bits?,,,,,I don't think their calendars are on the same timeline as ours,,,,,I make the time at 9 months?,,,,,,I have to make appointments for lipids and sticking pins in my feet,,,,had eyes done,,,,,,time flies when we are having fun with all the appointments,
well I will get told off,,,,,my legs, bum and over all weight are still too much for my knee replacements,,,,
as a pear shaped person,,,,more william pear than conference pear,,,,just cannot get the energy to get things going,,,,,ttfn from Karen.
[/QUOTE ]ust go on for a couple of mins when I go upstairs as its in the back bedroom. I am fine otherwise apart from still not sleeping properly, often find I get up for an hour or so, hot drink, maybe a few pistachios and read my kindle then toddle back to bed for hopefully a better rest. I do sleep better and once 7.am comes around I am up and ready for the new day. Back to the DN on Thursday for the results. We all keep going, nothing else we can do. Don't stress over your weight, wait till spring ( if it comes) and start on salads. XXX Hazel.

Reactions: Lorraine deer