ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
At last I can actually feel included in the lchf success stories. My BGs improved immediately on starting this diet but no weight loss. Last week I decided to calorie count with it. As the same time I was prescribed canagliflozin 100g.
I've now lost 12lb hurray! :)

Reactions: 9 people

Sobeit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: Success stories

Hi All,

This is my first post; I have been lurking here since April, decided to register yesterday to make this post. My name is Alan and I am 46 yrs old.

I went for one of these glucose tolerance test thingys last December, the doc said in a very nonchalant way that I had just failed the test and was now diagnosed type 2 diabetic. He gave me the results: 7.2 fasting and 12.1 after 2 hours. Then he explained what the numbers meant and that I had only just failed. This meant to me that I will just take another one in 6 months and then I would pass. Of course he said it doesn’t work like that. I nearly fell of my chair :eek: ; I couldn’t believe it (I was obviously suffering from cretinopathy :) ). Anyway after 5 minutes of him waffling on about government guidelines and what not, he sent me away with a small piece of paper detailing the usual exercise more, lose weight, eat less fat, more fruit veg and whole grains blah, blah, blah (No mention of self testing). I was already eating half a loaf of wholegrain bread a day plus a shed load of cereals, an equivalent 8 portions of fruit and juices, and hardly any meat. On diagnoses, my weight was 150Kg, with a morbidly obese BMI of 43. I never suspected carbohydrates were all that fattening. Naïve, idiotic, foolish me :oops: .

A week later I made an appointment with the DN. She said the same as that tiny slither of paper. (No mention of self testing). Tests for kidney and liver function were sound.

I cut back on total calories to about 2000. Started walking about 2 miles a day.

April came and I felt like I was dying. As well as starving, I was tired all the time, stomach cramps, going toilet more than 3 times a day (IBS maybe). I felt very weak, light headed, blurred vision and burning sole on my right foot. Also I was suffering from Acid reflux. I had lost 10 Kilos in weight though which was not bad. April was the date of my first blood tests and my first HBA1c (6.4). I asked the DN is there anything that she could suggest to remedy the above problems. She told me that I probably am not eating enough, my jaw nearly dropped to the floor :eek: . I said 2000Kcals are enough surely (I still want to lose weight). She checked my foot for neuropathy, and said it was ok. She then went on to mention statins and metformin. When I refused to entertain either of these she went on to say that eventually I would have to go on drugs and then finally insulin, because diabetes is a progressive disease (she was very insistent, almost like she was trying to punish me :twisted: ). I said like hell am I going on insulin. She basically scared the hell out of me. I hate drugs and needles. I trust drug companies about as much as I trust capt Darling with the economy. I decided I have got to do some of my own research.

I got myself a meter and some test strips. My fasting BS was up to 7.5-8, my after meal (2hrs) reading was anything from 10-15. I researched diabetes on the internet. That is when I first came across this excellent website. I read all the threads especially the ones on carbs and “the cure”. After researching low-carb all over the web, I got a copy of Atkins New Diet Revolution. Before I would try to low-carb though, due to my paranoia I thought I would try to find the evidence against eating “artery clogging saturated fat”. I could not find any real proof that saturated fat was evil.

So I decided to cut right back on carbs (Atkins induction 20g/day). At that time I was more paranoid of drugs, than any negative effects of low-carb and the thought of sticking insulin needles in me, I was bordering on psychosis. Within 3 days my Acid reflux had disappeared and never had it since. My stomach cramps had gone. Fasting blood sugars of around 5. The downside was to come one week later when I got “Atkins flu”, only lasted for one week. After that my energy levels just exploded and so did my bowels, diarrhea like I had never known before. I just persevered with Atkins, this just had to work if I didn’t want to inject (is my paranoia showing? :) ). It took nearly three weeks to get back to normal. I decided to put all that energy to use by doing jobs around the house/garden (the Mrs. is very happy :) ). I was never tired after a meal, unlike when I use to eat a high-carb meal I use to collapse in my armchair after dinner. I also started walking everywhere I could, plus more for pleasure, about 35 miles a week. NOTE: I only started Atkins due to my properly functioning kidneys. It is also worth noting that I started to drink a lot more water than normal, in fact about 3 litres a day. This is to flush out the nitrogen and other toxins caused by the increased gluconeogenesis that is required to fuel the parts of the body that can not use ketones or free fatty acids.

Now nearly 5 months I have been getting lower and lower fasting readings of between 4.2 and 4.7, no meter reading is greater than 5.3, at ANY time; in fact it generally is less than 5. Vision is normal and no burning foot. In fact I swear I have a lot more feeling in the soles of my feet now. I sleep much sounder now than since I was in my teens. I only need about 6-7 hours of continual sleep, whereas I used to need 8-9 hours of intermittent sleep. I have now lost a total of more than 30 kilos (BMI 33, yippee, getting there) eating 70% fat, 125g protein and approx 60g carbs daily (~2500Kcal). All cravings for carbs/sugar have gone the way of the dodo :D . I never feel hungry between meals anymore, I don’t even think of food anymore. Steadily losing about a kilo a week walking the 35 miles a week and I am now doing half an hour 4 days a week of yoga. I am going to start weight training when I have finished converting my garage into a gym. I don’t like exercising, I LOVE it.

I do supplement with a multivitamin, chromium, Omega 3 (EPA, DHA, ALA) and extra vitamin D and E. I have stopped eating all vegetable oils that are high in Omega 6 (Linoleic acid). The only oil I use is Extra Virgin Olive Oil for salads and light frying (mostly lard for frying). Very few nuts except for walnuts (better Omega 3/6 ratio). I try to get as close to a 1-1 ratio of the Omegas. No fast food, ready meals or any thing with artificial trans-fats at all. I eat cheese, butter and bacon along with all the fresh foods that there are, except high fructose and starchy fruits. I have not eaten so well in my life; I am fully satisfied at every meal. I do not eat any grains or starchy veg at all including legumes (a small portion of freshly picked garden peas are the exception). I tend to eat all cuts of meat, chicken and fish. Fresh veggys cooked in garlic butter or some other delicious low-carb sauce. Eggs are eaten daily. I am doing the dreaded Atkins (against the advice of my care team), but without any of his products or any other low-carb packaged pap. I like to think of it as a more natural way of eating. I cannot for the life of me know what all the negative press about Atkins or low-carb in general is all about. Is it the “BUT YOU NEED CARBOHYDRATES FOR ENERGY” nonsense? Or the “DIE OF A HEART ATTACK IF YOU JUST LOOK AT BUTTER” mentality?

I cannot describe how I feel now; all I will say is that it feels like I have at last found a healthy way to eat and live for the rest of my life. As corny as it sounds, I feel reborn, much younger and healthier. I have been on what must be at least a dozen different diets and lost weight, sometimes even more than what I have lost so far doing this. The difference this time is that I am NOT hungry doing this. The first month or so was hard what with “Atkins flu” and the exploding bowels, but persistence pays. I feel as I have reversed some of the insulin resistance due in part to the weight loss, but also I think the balance of the essential fatty acids and removal of all processed food/grains has gone a long way.

My last/first HBA1C in April was 6.4. Blood lipids: HDL 1.0, LDL 4.4, Trig 1.5. BP 140/80 and resting heartbeat 88. Now my BP is 105/65 and resting heart beat 60. I am due my next blood test in Oct/Nov. This hopefully will show an improvement, fingers crossed.

My ultimate goal is to get my weight down to 80 Kilos (BMI 23 - 6ft 2, I haven’t been 80Kg since I was 21), be active and build more muscle (at least retain as much as possible) so I can reverse as much of the insulin resistance as I can.

One final note: I know when people make their first post; it is usually to ask for help. The reason I have made this post is not to ask for any help but it is to thank you all for the helpful information that you have posted, because without this website and obviously caring people I would not have the control that I have, and I want you to know that you are very much appreciated not just by me but probably by lots of other “lurkers out there”.

Kind regards,

Alan

Hey, I might be Grainless, but at least I am happy!

Insulin, hmm the aging hormone? Please DO NOT ABUSE! Your life depends on it!
WOW u are an inspiration.I know this is an old post but I really enjoyed reading it.Thanks :). Hope u are still doing great :)!

Reactions: 10 people

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Add me to the list of successful LCHF'ers!

As luck would have it, my gastroenterologist ordered a comprehensive metabolic panel and a lipid panel for me, three months after my most recent ones. Yay! I wasn't scheduled for my next one until February.

With the exception of the drop in HDL - (perhaps due to walking less frequently) - I'm thrilled with the results I've gotten eating a LCHF diet for the last 9 months. Look at the improvements in my ratios!

...............................Feb 2015........May 2015........Aug 2015........Nov 2015........Reference Range

Cholesterol (TC).....229.................236..................259.................188..................optimal <200 mg/dL

Triglycerides (TG)..126.................123..................116.................70....................optimal <150 mg/dL

HDL Cholesterol.....44...................50....................51...................42....................40-60 mg/dL

LDL Cholesterol......165.................166..................189................135..................optimal <130 mg/dL

TG/HDL ratio...........2.86................2.46.................2.27...............1.6..................2 or less is considered ideal

HDL/TC ratio...........0.19................0.21.................0.19...............0.22................0.24 or higher is considered ideal

The only changes I've made over the last three months is eliminating all dairy from my diet, except for butter from grass-fed cows (because I'm trying to get my Inflammatory Bowel Disease back into remission). The other change I made may or may not have made a difference: I switched from eating bacon to eating breakfast sausage 4 times a week (because I have a bad habit of overcooking the bacon and I'm worried about AGEs).

A typical day for me is...

Breakfast: a 1 egg omelet cooked in 1 tablespoon butter with slice of onion, 1/4 red pepper, 1/4 green pepper, 2 mushrooms, and a handful of fresh spinach

Lunch: 4 cups of mixed leafy greens, 1/2 avocado, 1 oz pecans, 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, and 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice with 1/4 pound of breakfast sausage or a tuna salad or a chicken salad - (these salads are each made with a avocado oil based mayonnaise, no vegetable oils for me!)

Dinner: a serving of beef, chicken or pork pan fried in butter, always over low heat, with a cup or more of boiled, steamed, or pan fried vegetables, served with or cooked with butter

Snacks: Mostly an ounce of nuts, but only if I'm hungry. Occassionally I'll eat olives, or half an avocado.

Treats: 2 tablespoons of peanut butter made with peanuts and salt, no other added ingredients. Other treats are fresh or frozen berries, occasionally a couple of grapes. I also enjoy a glass of red wine now and then, but only if I'm in for the evening and can relax.

And I'm still taking my nutritional supplements: a multi-vitamin with 8 minerals that includes 2,000 IU vitamin D3, cod liver oil, a B-complex, vitamin C, vitamin K2, Prescript-Assist, a broad spectrum probiotic and prebiotic, fish oil, Meriva-SR, a curcumin phytosome formulation, magnesium citramate, potassium citrate, and CoQ10. Next summer I'll add back additional vitamin B5 to reduce heat induced feet and ankle swelling.

I'm so happy! :)

Thanks for all your coaching and instruction this year. This is the best forum I've found. Others don't come close in comparison.

I started a local type 2 diabetes support group in September and am now fully immersed in fundraising for a non-profit organization that I've supported for 22 years. I'll be back in December or January!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 21 people

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now that I think about it, I also added a probiotic.

I did a search on "probiotic effect on lipid profile" and what I found was interesting...

"Abstract:

Background:
Alteration in plasma lipid and lipoprotein profile has been documented in diabetic patients. The purpose of this study was to compare the effect of probiotic and conventional yogurt on lipid profile in type 2 diabetes mellitus patients.

Materials and Methods:
A total of 44 patients with type 2 diabetes aged 30-60 years old who had low density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-c) ≥100 mg/dl enrolled in this randomized, double – blind controlled trial and were assigned to two intervention and control groups. The subjects in the intervention group consumed 300 g/d probiotic yogurt containing Lactobacillus acidophilus La-5 and Bifidobacterium lactis Bb-12 and subjects in the control group consumed 300 g/d conventional yogurt for 8 weeks. Anthropometric indices, dietary intake, and serum lipid profile were evaluated at the beginning and end of the intervention. Independent-sample t-test, paired sample t-test, ANCOVA, and repeated measures were used for statistical analysis.

Results:
The consumption of probiotic yogurt caused significant decrease in LDL-c/high density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-c) ratio (3.13 ± 1.00-2.07 ± 0.71, P = 0.016). The levels of HDL-c were increased significantly (43.66 ± 6.80-50.42 ± 6.64, P = 0.023) in the intervention group postintervention. However, there were no significant differences in triglyceride and total cholesterol levels between two groups postintervention (P < 0.05).

Conclusion:
It is suggested that probiotic yogurt consumption may be used as an alternative prevention approach and treatment method to improve dyslipidemia in patients with type 2 diabetes.

Keywords: Lipid profile, probiotic yogurt, type 2 diabetes"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4155708/

"Abstract: To evaluate the effects of probiotic (VSL#3) and omega-3 fatty acid on insulin sensitivity, blood lipids, and inflammation, we conducted a clinical trial in 60 overweight (BMI > 25), healthy adults, aged 40–60 years. After initial screening the subjects were randomized into four groups with 15 per group. The four groups received, respectively, placebo, omega-3 fatty acid, probiotic VSL#3, or both omega-3 and probiotic, for 6 weeks. Blood and fecal samples were collected at baseline and after 6 weeks. The probiotic (VSL#3) supplemented group had significant reduction in total cholesterol, triglyceride, LDL, and VLDL and had increased HDL (P < 0.05) value. VSL#3 improved insulin sensitivity (P < 0.01), decreased hsCRP, and favorably affected the composition of gut microbiota. Omega-3 had significant effect on insulin sensitivity and hsCRP but had no effect on gut microbiota. Addition of omega-3 fatty acid with VSL#3 had more pronounced effect on HDL, insulin sensitivity and hsCRP. Subjects with low HDL, insulin resistance, and high hsCRP had significantly lower total lactobacilli and bifidobacteria count and higher E. coli and bacteroides count."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3984795/

And from 2012, and interesting review of research...

"ABSTRACT lipid profile improving effect of probiotics in animal and human studies and brief explanation about functional probiotic foods. Probiotics can be found in dairy and non-dairy products. It has been shown that, probiotics exert lowering lipid profile through several mechanisms such as deconjugate bile acids through bile salt hydrolase catalysis, take up and assimilate cholesterol for stabilization of their cell membrane and binding cholesterol to cell walls of probiotics in intestine, conversion of cholesterol into coprostanol, inhibit hepatic cholesterol synthesis by short chain fatty acids such as propionate produced by probiotic bacteria and/or redistribution of cholesterol from plasma to the liver. Certain strains of probiotics have demonstrated cholesterol lowering properties while others did not. However, not all trials have yielded conclusive results. Thus, more properly designed in vivo trials may appear additional understanding to eliminate the controversies, to better understand the underlying mechanisms and for safety assessment prior to consumption."

http://scialert.net/fulltext/?doi=ajft.2012.251.265

Reactions: 4 people

Anglo_dude

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
GPs who say blood testing is irrelevent
I think I can now be added onto the list of successful low carbers :)

Had a HBa1c test done the last week in August which was 80 and was advised to start taking another set of tablets.

Instead I started low carbing and had another test last week which has just come back at 49, so 1 point above pre-diabetic levels :)

In 3 months I've also lost 16lbs in weight and feel a hell of a lot better, :)

Given that I had quite a few tests of food that spiked the blood sugar over the last 3 months and I'm now also doing a few fast days I think this will be lower still in another 3 months.

Very happy right now!

Reactions: 19 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I can now be added onto the list of successful low carbers :)

Had a HBa1c test done the last week in August which was 80 and was advised to start taking another set of tablets.

Instead I started low carbing and had another test last week which has just come back at 49, so i point above pre-diabetic levels :)

In 3 months I've also lost 16lbs in weight and feel a hell of a lot better, :)

Given that I had quite a few tests of food that spiked the blood sugar over the last 3 months and I'm now also doing a few fast days I think this will be lower still in another 3 months.

Very happy right now!
Well done!

Tm6t7

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My story simply put...March 2015 diagnosed type 2 with hba1c of 11.7, prescribed 500mg metformin I immediately started lchf June 15 A1c 6.7 September 15 A1c 6, off the metformin December 15 A1c 5.9 DN said "well done you've reversed it!"
My reply was "I've resolved it :D" so she said "ok let's say it's in remission "
A1c now an annual event as long as I carry on being a good boy.
Really pleased I found this forum and bought Eat Fat by Dr Trudi Deakin, I hope everyone has some success with this healthy lifestyle, thank you all and thanks to Lidl for the high protein rolls :D

Reactions: 14 people

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Great to read everyone's success stories , inspirational.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Are Lidl high protein rolls bread?

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
So be it I have been reading your post and I am so inspired each time I read a post on here about local eating I really would like to try it but am worried about putting on weight. I want to reverse my diabetus but although I don't eat much bread or potatoes I do have Ryvitas and crackers. But I am further moved towards nog having lighter butters and slimming products is there a book I can buy as zi need to be able to read it over and over again to get it right.

R2T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Winter, war, pestilence
Are Lidl high protein rolls bread?
Yes, triangular brown things with seeds stuck all over them.
They taste a lot better than they sound :D
I had one for breakfast with butter, extra mature cheddar and a handful of blueberries - mmmm!

Reactions: 2 people

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I quite like the soya and linseed bread

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Motherhen2014 there's a low carb training package on the forum which will give you the basics also if you buy Dr David Cavans book it explains a lot..
For me it's about finding food that you like as a substitute. I have s sweet tooth and Greek yoghurt berries and a spoonful of Splenda had been a godsend ( yes people I know about Splenda but it's a risk /benefit thing ).
Basically cut down on anything that contains flour,
Rice,
Pasta
Potatoes

Be careful with fruit too although I'm ok with berries.

Check out Vivs modified Atkins diet thread .
Oh and if you don't have a monitor buy one and test , that way you will know what your symptoms mean.

The other thing is get out of the chair and move , 30 minutes a day , doesn't have to be all at once to start with and doesn't have to be full on , just move . Hoover the floor , clean the Windows , walk to the shop, dance etc . You ll probably find that it gets easier and you ll want to do more .

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
Thank you Jamrox I am still trying to find way round site I will look for starter.pack and try to start slowly. I don't eat potatoes do have the protien bread from lidles very rarely eat rice and pasta have gone on normal margerine and am on long life skimmed milk. I love fruit very rarely have vegetables these days and very little meat except chicken or turkey. But I am going to get the book you suggested thank you.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I think the books great . It basically pulls every bit of advice I got on here into 1 place .It has helped me to go into reverse . It is reverse , not cure as some say . I know if I go mad for a while I will be right back where I started.

Reactions: 4 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yesterdays annual review

HbA1c 44
BP 117/71

Consultant very impressed with my numbers and in particular how I managed two hours on the bike on Sunday on just 30g carbs, which flies in the face of any text. Overall message was it seems to be working, so no need to change anything.

When asked he said no particular bias towards any diet, more interested in the results achieved. No data on liver or kidney function test yet

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Congrats ElyDave great results .

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But I am further moved towards nog having lighter butters and slimming products is there a book I can buy as zi need to be able to read it over and over again to get it right.

Yes it's best to eat the "proper" full fat butters, yogurts etc - the slimming and "lite" versions are usually full of sugar, and it's these carbs that are the problem for us weight wise - as well as raising our glucose levels. You can lose weight with the LCHF way of eating.

A good book to help you get started is Trudi Deakins "Eat Fat!" - I wish it had been published when I was first diagnosed! :p The forum is definitely a fantastic source of advice and information, but it's definitely handy as well to have information all in one place in a convenient and portable format. The book is helpful if you're a bit confused over what's OK to eat - it has a red, yellow, green traffic lights systems to show how good or bad different foods are regarding their carbohydrate content (or lack of!).

Good luck, Robbity