Hypos

Isobel123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I woke to a hypo around 3.30am and my heart was racing. Strangely though, just before I woke I was having a dream about having a heart attack. Has anyone else had weird dreams before waking up to a hypo?

victry77

I haven't really had any weird dreams, but I remember one time during the night,while I was still sleeping, my own voice inside my head was shouting, "Hey! You're having a hypo! Wake up, wake up! You're having a hypo!"

I woke up, feeling hypo, tested then treated. It was just funny that my subconscious brain had seemingly woken up and was aware of the hypo before my conscious brain had woken up and become aware of it and it was yelling to warn for me :)

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
yeh funnily enough dreams about having a hypo somewhere and I'm searching for sugar... I wake up and test and I'm having a hypo. I think the mind is amazing how it tries to warn you. It doesn't always happen though. Sometimes I sleep through a hypo and know about it in the morning because of the hangover and the high sugar reading from the liver dumping glucose.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
I don't but my mum literally dreams of cola. Something in her brain notes that is weird and wakes her up. o_O

Isobel123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Everyone, thank you everyone for replying at least I know now no I'm not the only one having the same experiences

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Normally I just wake..
But oddly enough, (about a week ago.) I did have a dream where I was testing but doing it all wrong. Holding the meter upside down. In the dream I had removed the lancet barrel from the pricker & was attempting to prick my finger. There is a safety feature on the lancet barrel when removed so there was no way I could achieve this.. Which I knew in the dream..

I woke feeling low, tested & I was...

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lol. If whatever wakes you works.. Being in this nightmare is not good though! :eek:

djfm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pain
haven’t had a nightmare before a hypo. but I have started to get diabetic dreams and nightmares
I dreamed something about blood testing once and the nightmare was having very swollen feet, then I woke up with funny feet.
When I wake up hypo I don’t notice until I get down stairs and test myself and find out i’m hypo, that’s a bit scary.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
haven’t had a nightmare before a hypo. but I have started to get diabetic dreams and nightmares
I dreamed something about blood testing once and the nightmare was having very swollen feet, then I woke up with funny feet.
When I wake up hypo I don’t notice until I get down stairs and test myself and find out i’m hypo, that’s a bit scary.
You should really sleep with a testing kit and glucose by the bed. At least you can test when you wake up in that scenario.

Reactions: 2 people

Isobel123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You should really sleep with a testing kit and glucose by the bed. At least you can test when you wake up in that scenario.
Yes i totally agree with this always have it by your bed. I never used to and it was a real struggle wondering about to get my meter X

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Yes i totally agree with this always have it by your bed. I never used to and it was a real struggle wondering about to get my meter X
What if you couldn't remember where your BG meter was :eek::confused:
Not a good idea - always keep your BG kit and some glucose ready by your bed . :)

Reactions: 2 people