Are you on a diet?

mikey

I may be overly sensitive but I wanted to ask the question anyway.
Do any of you get annoyed by the constant question when you are eating "are you on a diet?"
Things like, "you seem to live on salad and fish, are you on a diet?"
Or "You eat a lot of salad, are you on a diet?"
Or "Pasta is good if you are trying to lose weight you know. If you are on a diet you should be eating it"
I try to explain why I eat the way I do, but it doesn't seem to work.
Now I have stopped trying.
I just say I am diabetic and I am eating the things that work for me.
If the questions persist I tell them I am following medical advice.
Obviously I am not following conventional medical advice, but when I say this the questions stop.

I told one of my friends that I will be on a "Diet" for the rest of my life to try to control my diabetes and she understood completely.
Has anyone else had this experience, or am I getting paranoid in my old age?

Thanks,
Mikey.

caitycakes1

I know what you mean. I get the "DOUBLE CREAM !!!!!!!, are you allowed to eat that?". Or "MAYONSAISE, should you be eating that?" Or "Why can't you eat bananas or apples?. I thought they were good for you when you are diabetic."

I honestly think that some people believe diabetes is a mental illness! They assume you lose your mind upon diagnosis and that they know better than you, despite the fact that it is you who is living with the diabetes! DOH!!!!!!! :roll:

Caitycakes x

Janieb

Dislikes
People who think that all diabetics are lazy - think some education is in order :0)
I just tell them I'm doing healthy eating and tell them so should they as they look awful lol. :lol:

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Maybe you two shouldn't hang about with so many dieticians? :lol:

Sorry, I'll get me coat.....

fergus

mikey

Thanks for the laughs, the attitude on here is great.
Best dietary advice this week came from a guy eating pie and chips washed down with a "diet" coke.

He should be working for the N.H.S. surely!

Mike.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Diet to me implies something you are on to lose weight then ,once you have lost the weight, you go back to ' regular' eating. If anyone asks me about 'diet' I say it is a lifestyle change because, to me ,it is something I am going to stick to for the rest of my life.
They usually don't ask again! :twisted: :twisted:

mikey

Sue,
there is a kind of implied judgment when people ask if you are on a diet.
It's like they are saying you need to lose weight.
It doesn't bother me anymore but I bet they don't ask you again!
Go get em!
Cheers,
Mike.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I get looks of abject horror when I put whipped cream into my coffee. and my gym instructor pretended to be shocked when I admitted to having eaten 2 baby new potatoes.
Hana