Hospital/Surgery

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Hi, me again! I have a problem with my left ear, blocked eustachian tube has caused 'Glue ear', common but not peculiar to children. I am to have general anaesthetic surgery in November and the letter from the hospital mentions that diabetics will be spoken to regarding the surgery and their condition when we are admitted for surgery. I am now worried about how surgery may affect me, if at all, as I am T2 diet only - and this may only relate to diabetics on medication. Although I do know that diabetics is an auto immune disease and could affect recovery period.

Perhaps someone could put my mind at rest, I had the most bizarre nightmare concerning this last night, and this has prompted me to realise it is playing on my mind somewhat! At the risk of sounding like a great big baby, knowing that some many diabetics have undergone all kinds of treatment and surgery - the only surgery I had was at 9 years to have tonsils removed and the memory of the old Victorian Hospital and the matron who yelled at the children has left me somewhat wary of hospitals and surgery :oops:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi.

In 2004 I had open heart surgery, a triple by-pass. I have been a Diabetic for 12 years. I sailed through the op despite having a general anaesthetic for the 9 hr operation. So I shouldn't worry unduly. As with any procedure there is always a risk. Just don't let it bother you !! :D

The only thing you want to try and do is make sure your Bg levels are good before and after as this will help with healing and recovery.

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Thanks for reply, glad all went so well for you, such major surgery makes mine look so small! Thought I did profess to this fact in the post :D

jopar

It's only Type 1 diabetes thats auto immune, Type 2 diabetes is not as it's a residence to insulin and it's usage..

As to your surgery, as Cugila says, they will run through it all for you...

You might find that worrying about the fore coming surgery as most people do, might raise your BG for a little bit, so should soon settle down once it all over and out the way..

Good luck, and try not to worry about it too much

HpprKM

Dislikes
jopar - thanks for kind words! I think it is a case of the 'unknown' that is a bit scarey. When I read of what some people go through I feel ashamed at my worry, my dear, late mother who lived to 87 had so many ops in her lifetime and she never exhibited much more than minor anxiety, I admired her braveness then - I still do :D

china

Hi HpprKM
I'm a T2 on Metformin, diagnosed a year ago.

I can sympathise with how you are feeling. I had abominable (abdominal! :lol: ) surgery last month and was feeling somewhat anxious during the weeks beforehand. I have only had surgery on two previous occasions, once when I was a mere tadpole and the other in my mid twenties - which to my astonishment is now about 30 years ago :shock:

I went in for day surgery, so took a fasting blood test, then another once all the paperwork and everything had been done. I was told that a blood test would be done during the op as well, which it was, and I tested myself just before having something to eat. Everything went really well. The only thing I found was that I was incredibly thirsty after the op., so much so that after asking repeatedly for cups of water, I then asked for jugs and still managed to quaff 2 straight down. Perhaps that is just me.

I still have 2 more ops to go (all different parts of the body - everything's just gone pfffft this year! :roll: ), but now that I know what to expect I feel much more relaxed about the whole hospital thing. My biggest fear has always been of the unknown.

I'm sure everything will be fine and wish you well.

Catherine

HpprKM

Dislikes
Hi Catherine, thanks for sharing your experiences with me. Funny how things all happen at once (well not so funny really :D ). I am trying to put it to the back of my mind, just carrying on as normal - pointless spending the next few weeks feeling ill with stress over it. The forum members here have been wonderfully supportive, I am so glad this site exists, has been a godsend since diabetes diagnosis.

As I said, my only experience of surgery was tonsillectomy, more years ago than I care to think about! But left a rather unfavourable impression all the same. Well, at least they wont make me eat raspberry ripple ice cream this time, I really don't like raspberry flavour, guess I never did :lol:

I wish you well in your further ops :wink: