Type 2 depression with diabetes

clairemiller

Hi there all. I have recently been diagnosed with type 2 diebities. The problem is I suffer with servere depression and this causes me to.eat and all.the bad stuff so I am finding this so hard right now. Anyone else.have the same and maybe give me some advice on how to cope with the 2 together thanks.

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
People making judgements.
Hi Claire!
Sorry to hear of your plight. Have tried talking to a dietician nurse and explaining your situation?

Reactions: 2 people

clairemiller

Hi Claire!
Sorry to hear of your plight. Have tried talking to a dietician nurse and explaining your situation?
I've been to.my doctor all she could say was claire we can't help you. You need to.help yourself. But with the depression it's far to hard especially when feeling so alone.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Do ask for a referral (or self-refer) to a charity such as Mind who can help with depression. It's quite common anyway and more so with diabetics.

Reactions: 3 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I have severe depression with traits of bipolar. When I was first told I had type 2, I ate to my mood and my levels were effected. With the help of people from here, I, ve learnt to eat to my meter. It's been very hard at times, and still have the odd bad day

Reactions: 8 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been to.my doctor all she could say was claire we can't help you. You need to.help yourself. But with the depression it's far to hard especially when feeling so alone.
That is not at all helpful and comes from someone who has obviously never been depressed. If you could help yourself you wouldn't have asked for your doctor's help would you? :rolleyes: My GP arranged for me to have 8 sessions (I had to give a small donation) of counselling to help with PTSD, and depression. After that I had to self fund them. Are you able to do this?

If not have you ever tried following LCHF ? I found this gave me more energy and as I started to feel better I was less prone to eat junk food. The advantage of low carb high fat is that you don't need to go hungry so you are less inclined to want the wrong things.

You are stuck in a vicious circle right now and it will take time to step out of it. Keep talking. :)

Reactions: 8 people

Wingy1997

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Claire. I understand where your coming from. I have had type 1 diabetes for 15 years. However I've only recently been diagnosed with depression. I had simular trouble with my hospital nurse. However my gp helped a lot. Have you considered counselling? It is always best to carry on talking about things and not keep things bottled up

Reactions: 6 people

naomi197783

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I have both depression and t2 diabetes I find it helps not to have bad foods in although it is different for me I have to sort my health out diabetes is a killer I know my mom was t2 same as me & it killed her my dad has copd needs me he can't look after himself so however hard it is with the depression I have to beat this

Reactions: 4 people

Cathn61may

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
people who think they know it all
Your Doctor should be treating you if you have been diagnosed with depression. It is not something you can sort out yourself. I have Type 1 Diabetes and Clinical Depression I take 4 Antidepressents a day. Took a good while to get the medication right for me
And I also saw a fantastic counsellor who helped me immensely.

oldnevada

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sugar, in all it's iterations.
I'm Type II and living with PTSD along with a deep depression. I suspect I'm bipolar as I go up and down like a yoyo and live recluse. I used to be a binge eater till I got terribly fat and then diabetic. My GP referred me to a nutritionist and she gave me the skinny on what was happening with my blood, so on that advice and very upset with myself I got so fat, I changed my eating habits and my meds, my BG is well controlled now. I like to be active but the depression does have it's way with me. I'm still about 50lbs (~4stone) more than I want to be.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi All. Never go shopping when you are feeling 'down' - I tend to buy all the things I should not be eating, but it's things that make me feel good and happy. I was diagnosed with Depression nearly 5 years ago and take 3 Antidepressant tablets daily. I have had Diabetes T2 for 15 yrs, but had a traumatic event 5 years ago - I just "shut down", neglected my Diabetes and stopped going out. My GP referred me for CBT (Cognitive Behaviour Therapy) the waiting period was a year before an appointment became available - I had 1 hour sessions for 16 weeks and then it went to 1hour session a month for 4 months.

tnbnate

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there! It's a tough one but not tough at the same time. I had severe depression due to life circumstances at the same time as having T1. I went hypo one morning and decided not to eat and just go to sleep. Fortunately I had people around me who cared and found me.
My depression came to a head in 2012 when I had a break down and had a short stay in one of her majesty's hotels.
Now I am not one to preach but the way I did it may not be the same for you but at the end of the day the goal with depression is the Same, you have to let go. In 2014 I was baptised and gave Jesus all of my challenges. It doesn't mean they were not there but beyond my control. Since letting all that was depressing me go the big man has provided. There are still challenges but I trust in the Lord.
I hope that you find a way to let go, be it church, support groups, friends or whatever but since letting go my control has been better!
I'll say a prayer for you
God bless
Nath

brenda walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there all. I have recently been diagnosed with type 2 diebities. The problem is I suffer with servere depression and this causes me to.eat and all.the bad stuff so I am finding this so hard right now. Anyone else.have the same and maybe give me some advice on how to cope with the 2 together thanks.
HI Claire, I have had depression for a very long time, even long before diabetes, you can't worry and eat at the same time, so I got very fat. Had therapy for many years before I realized it wasn't helping, I became very reclusive. but distraction helps - some. find something you like doing, maybe something you stopped doing or take up a new hobby(jigsaw, chess). Regular exercise helps by releasing chemicals that make you feel good, perhaps swimming, it is less load bearing than the gym or cycling, or a fast walk same time everyday, the routine will make it stronger. When it comes to raiding the fridge or the biscuit tin set something in front of it or on top so you have to physically move to get to the naughty stuff, that little delay may stop the choccy munchies. And drink more, drink is very filling with food, makes it go further. regular routines done on the good days will help you get through the bad days.

lizziewizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @clairemiller I also suffer with depression and was diagnosed end of Dec, so am totally with you on this one.

"We can't help you. You need to help yourself"...... what???

That is outrageous! I dispair sometimes with some peoples attitudes towards mental health issues and the lack of knowledge from some health care professionals. You need to go back and ask for help with your depression. Fine, some days you may be able to plod along and get through the day eating well and 'being good', but this is your long term health and wellbeing and it is so important. We only get one shot at this life, why not make it the best it can be? They have to refer you for support for your depression, just be prepared for a possible long waiting list. However, don't be put off by it, you may as well get on the list now, as without help you'll still be depressed by the time you're top of the list. Also, have you considered medication? Sometimes a short course of anti-depressants is all you need to kick start alleviating the depression. There is also nothing wrong with being on them long term of course, if that's what you need. You need help though, either way.

I know you're asking for help with controlling your snacking due to depression, but once the depression is gone/alleviated, the snacking will also decrease. While you're depressed it will be hard to stop snacking altogether as when you're an emotional eater, as I am, you need to get rid of the depression first. Due to alleviating depression not being an instant thing at all though, you need tips in the meantime. I think Brenda gave some great tips. Making your snacks less accesible. When about to snack, down some water first and see if you still want it then. Regular exercise. Doing something to keep you busy, less time to snack. Of course, there is always the 'don't buy the snacks in the first place' argument, but that's a toughie.

While you wait for help with your depression, you should try some self help also. Regular exercise, even if a slow walk will naturally help alleviate depression, especially if you're getting outside in natural daylight. A healthy diet will also help, although I understand at the moment that's what you're finding hard. Do more of what you enjoy, whether it's bungee jumping, watching a film or taking a long bath. Whatever it is, treat yourself. Stop drinking alcohol if you do drink it, or at least cut down. You may not feel like connecting with people, but it really helps to talk things through.. even here on the internet is good! Also, make sure you're getting enough sleep, perhaps try some relaxation techniques.

Big hugs lovely, get to your GP as soon as you can!

xxx

P.S. if you haven't had CBT already, maybe try doing it at home also. http://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/docs/SelfHelpCourse.pdf

Reactions: 5 people

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Difficult this one ! my anti depressive meds make me soooo hungry and getting good control back is so hard as im a comfort eater but I will get there :depressed:

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hello borderter. Are you new to the Forum? If so, then Welcome. My Antidepressant medication make me thirsty, and the more I drink then the more I tend to wee! Then there are days when I WANT to have a chocolate biscuit and so, I have 1, then 2, then don't stop till I have eaten 6. But I do log down in my Blood sugar book should my blood sugar be high and I've eaten "naughty things" - I'm not going to lie about it.
Day to day my moods (Depression) are different, I could not get motivated this christmas/new year so was pleased when it was over.Family and friends kept saying: 'what's up'? Do you have any problems with sleep?

C

catherinecherub

It may be the meds that you are on are causing the increase in appetite. You could ask your G.P. to change them.

Test yourself. If you are hungry then you will eat things that you do not like but if you are eating because you want to then you will most likely not eat something that you do not like.
There are counselling sessions available through the NHS that will help, ask to be referred and if your G.P. refuses then get in touch with organisations that can help. MIND is good. You could also make a complaint about your G.P.s refusal to refer you, ask for a complaint form at your Surgery.
It is very difficult to treat your own depression, you need profession help.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @clairemiller and welcome to the forum. I have depression too which probably contributed to my depression as I was self medicating with beer and comfort eating. I have been offered counselling by my GP in the past but didn't take it up as I think my dp is genetic, many members of my family have it. I do take medication which has helped me through my episodes of depression. In the past I stopped taking the antidepressants once I started feeling better, but this time I have decided I will stay on them permanently.
Medication and/or counselling can help, you do need to press your GP about getting treatment. If your GP isn't helpful see another GP at the practice (if there are others) or consider changing to another GP practice.
I have found that exercise does help, both with the depression (releasing 'feel good' endorphins) and the diabetes. I am quite reclusive now too. After retiring over two years ago I hardly get to talk to anyone, sometimes for weeks on end. One of the symptoms of depression is the intense feelings of loneliness and isolation. It does help me to talk to people on here which helps me to feel less isolated.

Last edited by a moderator:

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Hello borderter. Are you new to the Forum? If so, then Welcome. My Antidepressant medication make me thirsty, and the more I drink then the more I tend to wee! Then there are days when I WANT to have a chocolate biscuit and so, I have 1, then 2, then don't stop till I have eaten 6. But I do log down in my Blood sugar book should my blood sugar be high and I've eaten "naughty things" - I'm not going to lie about it.
Day to day my moods (Depression) are different, I could not get motivated this christmas/new year so was pleased when it was over.Family and friends kept saying: 'what's up'? Do you have any problems with sleep?
No not new to forum but feel that im always asking how things affect others so am aware that I may be a bore