storage and use of insilin

angelaha

Hi

i wonder if anyone can help i am a type 1 diabetic and i use novomix 30 twice a day and was diagnosed 2 years ago, and i thought i had got the hang of it but now i am not so sure. i have read recently that although you should store your insilin in the fridge prefably in the salad drawer the one that you are using should be kept out of the fridge and kept at room temperature - is this correct because this is what i used to do but i was recently told (March this year) this was wrong and the insilin cartridge you are using should also be kept in the fridge and taken out just before use.

help i am a bit confused

and with me keeping my insilin in the fridge could this have an effect on my levels as i have had to increase my insilin at both injection times - i have never had to do this before either

confused

nannybarbara

I too was told to keep new unused insulin in the salad drawer. I was told that the one you are using is ok for at least a month out of the fridge.

Barb

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You're quite right Barb.
All unused insulin vials need to be stored in the fridge to prevent them from degrading.
When in use, however, they should be at room temperature to work effectively. Don't keep insulin pens etc. in the fridge because the low temperature slows the action of the insulin, keep them at ambient room temperature, not too hot, not too cold.

All the best,

fergus

leveya

keeping pens in fridge

Help i read on the forum not to keep insulin pens in the fridge. but when i collect them from the chemist they are kept in the fridge and my diabetic nurse said i must keep the stored pens in the fridge. please advise.
tony :?

angelaha

many thanks for your help

i will now go back to my original actions of not storing my insilin which i am using in the fridge

once again thank you :D

leveya

Re: keeping pens in fridge

leveya said:
Help i read on the forum not to keep insulin pens in the fridge. but when i collect them from the chemist they are kept in the fridge and my diabetic nurse said i must keep the stored pens in the fridge. please advise.
tony :?
thank you all for your help
tony :)

gbtyke

Don't keep insulin pens etc. in the fridge because the low temperature slows the action of the insulin, keep them at ambient room temperature, not too hot, not too cold.

The pens Fergus refers to here are the refillable ones.

Prefilled pens should be stored in the Fridge - except for the one that you are currently using. That should be kept at room temperature. When it is running low take the next one out the day before you are going to use it.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Fergus,

That's interesting, I did not know that the pen currently used can be stored at room teperature. I also didn't know that low temperature slows the action of insulins. I have always kept my novorapid pen in the fridge, and only taking out when injecting. I think from now on I will keep it at room temperature.

Regards

Nigel

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Nigel,

Keep an eye on things at first - rapid acting insulin will be a bit more rapid at room temperature and I'd hate to think of anyone getting caught out by their insulin overtaking their food.

Incidentally, the insulin manufacturers suggest that 4 weeks is the life expectancy of insulin cartridges when kept at ambient temperature. I tend to take more than 5 weeks to get through a 3ml cartridge, but have never noticed a reduction of the insulin's potency in that time. I guess they build in a decent margin of safety.

All the best,

fergus

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Fergus,

Good advice about the speed of the insulin at room temperature. I now inject after eating to prevent a hypo post mealtimes. Something else I have recently started, I have for the first time started to inject in my buttocks ( sound like Forest Gump 'I got shot in the buttocks' ) and find this more comfortable, and I am sure this is faster at absorbing. Always knew you could, but never fancied injecting there. As I can't inject in stomach, I thought I would give my legs a rest.

Regards

Nigel

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Nigel.

Whilst there are many who inject as you do you might want to read this.

Most insulin enters the blood:
1. fastest from the abdomen (stomach)
2. a little slower from the arms
3. even more slowly from the legs
4. most slowly from the buttocks

Not my advice, just medical advice.

SReynolds

Could someone please clarify what temperature range insulin shold be stored and used at? I have been looking at the frio wallets which state they maintain a temp between 18 and 26 Deg C. This is much higher than a fridge, so do you really need to store it in a fridge (is below 26 Deg C sufficient) because it has a critical temperature above which is should not go, or does it have a variable shelf life depending on storage temperature (i.e. the cooler you keep the longer it lasts)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Storage is when the Insulin is not yet in use, therefore it should be kept at a much lower temperature, usually between 2 - 8 deg C as you would find in a Fridge. this is to prolong it's life.

Once in use........then it should remain at room temperature. The Patient Information leaflet should tell you exactly what the manufacturers recommend. This should be fine for around a month.

People often get confused about this but each manufacturers advice is much the same.

Ken