Doctors or hospital?

Wingy1997

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've been a diabetic for nearly 16 years. Been on the insulin pump for 4 years. I was with my hospital a part of the children's clinic. However, before Christmas I got transferred over to the adult clinic towards the end of November. They wanted to keep a close eye on me to see how things were. Although since November I have had 4 hospital appointments cancelled. Has anyone else had this issue? Do people find it easier going to the hospital for support or is it better to go to the diabetes clinic at your gp surgery? Opinions please!

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I'm always seen at the hospital with regards to my Diabetes, only see the GP for other health issues

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I much prefer the hospital. I want to see a consultant not a GP or Practice Nurse. I also go to the pump clinic at my hospital. The DSNs there are great, and know much, much more about diabetes than my local surgery.

I had a problem with appointments being cancelled at hospital some years ago. I spoke to the hospital and complained, and was seen very quickly then. Give them a call and find out what's going on.

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I've been a diabetic for nearly 16 years. Been on the insulin pump for 4 years. I was with my hospital a part of the children's clinic. However, before Christmas I got transferred over to the adult clinic towards the end of November. They wanted to keep a close eye on me to see how things were. Although since November I have had 4 hospital appointments cancelled. Has anyone else had this issue? Do people find it easier going to the hospital for support or is it better to go to the diabetes clinic at your gp surgery? Opinions please!
If you are on a pump you have no choice, you have to be under the hospital. There is no reason what so ever though not to use your GP surgery as well if you can get the help you need there.
Ring and complain about the cancelations.

M

mrspuddleduck

I had my last five hospital diabetes clinic appointments cancelled. I phoned the consultants secretary and explained that I was concerned because of the number of cancellations in a row had pushed my appointment back several months after when it was due. She agreed and got me an appointment for the following week.
The appointments that are cancelled are done by date so sometimes you are unlucky enough to keep getting the appointment dates that are cancelled! Because its done by admin, they can't check individual need or urgency so if one appointment is cancelled you are just allocated the next available date (so go back to the back if the queue!). Xx

Wingy1997

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've rang them and been told they will get back to me it's now nearly been a week and rang them more then once. My gp surgery does pump clinic as well as part of the diabetes clinic that's why I've been given the choose. Things aren't great with my diabetes and feel like I'm getting no support from the hospital

claire_786

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I always go to the hospital. I prefer to speak to my regular diabetes nurse who knows me

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've rang them and been told they will get back to me it's now nearly been a week and rang them more then once. My gp surgery does pump clinic as well as part of the diabetes clinic that's why I've been given the choose. Things aren't great with my diabetes and feel like I'm getting no support from the hospital

It must be upsetting and frustrating for you. Have you tried phoning and asking to speak to the secretary of your consultant? They may be more helpful. If it was me, I woukdnt wait for a callback (because people rarely do call you back). I'd either hold the line or take the name of the person I'm speaking to and say I'll be calling them back in 24/48 hours or whatever.

Wingy1997

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for the help guys. Claire_786 I would of rather stayed with my other diabetes nurse but because of my age I had to transferred to the adult clinic and feel like now their just not bothered

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
If consultant's secretary doesn't work (ot always has for me) try PALS. It might be different where you are but in my pct only hospitals fund pumps. Also although you occasionally meet inexperienced doctors in hospital they are meant to know more than gps. Try reading some of the threads on here and you'll get a flavour of the difference.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Originally I was under the care of the hospital clinic then several years ago got transferred across to the care of my gp surgery, however I had a few difficulties with my insulin which my gp surgery failed to address so I asked for a referral back to the hospital diabetes clinic and have remained there since.

I honestly think the expertise and care under a hospital clinic is far better than you get under a gp surgery, however if your hospital team are unsupportive then I understand your reasons for wanting to change @Wingy1997, but possibly you might be able to transfer to another hospital clinic if your prepared to travel.

Reactions: 2 people

Wingy1997

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I did wonder if it was only hospitals that fund the pump? Thank you guys you've helped me out!