Starting Metformin this week...any advice?? Type 1

• Thread starter Deleted member 83869
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 83869

I am starting Metformin hopefully this Friday, as my Maternity Diabetes Consultant feels I benefit from this....oh and the fact that it has been spoken about for the last 3 years.....ermm I dont know what to say but is there any tips or advice that anyone could give me???

Thanks x

Reactions: 2 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi ohitsnicola,( congratulations) take your metformin with your meal, clive

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hello ohitsnicola. I take mine half way through my meal too.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi ohitsnicola. Any meal. And if you have any questions? Just put a posting on the forum and someone will come along and answer. Everybody here is friendly, helpful and some very knowledgeable.:D

D

Deleted member 83869

Hi ohitsnicola. Any meal. And if you have any questions? Just put a posting on the forum and someone will come along and answer. Everybody here is friendly, helpful and some very knowledgeable.:D
I can't even think of what else to ask haha! Ah I know lol I've been on here for 2 years or so...just go through periods of forgetting to come on here haha but thankyou :)

Reactions: 6 people

YorkshireAli

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Some people find that Metformin can cause tummy problems, but there's a slow release version that's much kinder to your insides. Just in case....

D

Deleted member 83869

Some people find that Metformin can cause tummy problems, but there's a slow release version that's much kinder to your insides. Just in case....
Ah thank you i shall bear that in mind doesnt look like i will be starting it tomorrow!

Davyb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Although I'm T2, now 2 years on insulin, previous 17 and still on Metformin. It's one of those tablets that can send your bowel function in either direction, sometimes with wild swings. Usually in the v.hard direction, ALWAYS take with a meal. A few seconds before the first bite to eat at the earliest, when you know the meal will not be delayed, part way through also works well.

I did become too sensitive to it, some so GP put me on the Slow Release form.

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I first started Metformin, I found it gave me quite a lot of wind and occasional "other" issues. However, it only lasted a couple of weeks and I have no issues with it at all now (I have 500ng twice a day) and never get any side effects
I would say don't stray too far from the loo for a couple of hours after taking them when you first start just in case!

bellafay

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I first started Metformin, I found it gave me quite a lot of wind and occasional "other" issues. However, it only lasted a couple of weeks and I have no issues with it at all now (I have 500ng twice a day) and never get any side effects
I would say don't stray too far from the loo for a couple of hours after taking them when you first start just in case!

thank you. starting slowly at 250mg twice a day tonight.... so I'll stay close to the loo for the weekend! tks again.

Tom Green

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I took Metformin for years. It was all good but now I take Janumet which has Metformin and Januvia in it. Never had an issues with either. I didn't take with meals as recommended but it never bothered me

D

Deleted member 83869

I'm on my third dose/day of metformin and so far so good! Noticed an improvement in my sugars as well. Starting 2 x 500mg tomorrow as well for 4 days xx

Reactions: 4 people

Angela_T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
I take Metformin just after my evening meal my stomach feels bloated afterwards and makes me have wind.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Been on metformin 500mg 1 daily for first week, then increased to 2 daily. . First week got a bloating feeling and indigestion, increased to 2 daily on second week not much discomfort, now fine. Yes like others take with food like they said, I take in middle of food and have no problems, can cause constipation in some people but easily resolved eat fruit and plenty veg and drink more water:) you will be fine.

MoonSpirit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I too am type 1 and after many years of pestering my diabetic clinic finally gave me Metformin to supplement my insulin in November. With a recommendation to try cutting insulin by 20% to start with.

(To be honest I was happy on just insulin to control diabetes, and hate the idea of taking anything I don't have to, but having seen so many good reports of positive side affects associated with Metformin over the years, not least the possibility of regaining some of the reduced life expectancy that type 1 gives us, that I was determined to give it a go)

I was initially given the normal 500mg fast release version to take at meal times but was not impressed, sugar was spiking just after the meal (no doubt the reduced insulin) but then giving me deep lows about 4 hours later.
A quick visit to my GP and he changed the prescription to 500mg modified slow release.
The difference was amazing.
I have now worked out that I only get a slight reduction in the amount of insulin I need to take (not the 20% reduction suggested) but Metformin appears to have improved control in reducing the severity and duration of the highs (I have a continious meter and the spikes on the graph from highs are less vertical) and no noticeable difference in the number or duration of lows.

For me after another month or so on the 500mg as long as I don't encounter and side affects I will revisit my GP to request an increase to 750mg

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I started Metformin just before Christmas started on 1 for two weeks then was supposed to increase 1 every two weeks until I was on 4 a day Well I got up to 3 but as soon as I had to take 2 with a meal I started to get bad indigestion and was really bloated also my appetite was really supressed. Went to see my doctor yesterday and she has now put me on the Slow Release version so hopefully I will tolerate them better. On 1 a day for week then increase to 2 for another week then go back to see the doctor to tell her how it is going.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I am starting Metformin hopefully this Friday, as my Maternity Diabetes Consultant feels I benefit from this....oh and the fact that it has been spoken about for the last 3 years.....

Probably all been said, but, it will affect everyone in different ways although the runs seems to be fairly common. Things to help will be a slower introduction to the required dose, Slow Release version might help and lower carbs will also help.
Good Luck

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. If you do have bowel problems do ask for the Slow Release version. As a T1 I assume you are on insulin? Metformin will help just a little with the insulin and has some other advantages, but the insulin will be the key influencer on blood sugar.