Cholesterol tests

mikey

I know that you can get an A1c done at home but what about cholesterol tests?
I'm thinking about a full set of results. ldl,hdl etc. rather than just the one number.
Does anyone know if I can do this?
Or is the cost prohibitive?

Cheers,
Mike.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
The only sites that I could come up with are just Total Cholesterol.

Here's a UK site that does Total and HDL.
http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/ch ... oltest.htm

Anybody know of anything better ? To be honest, I can't see why you would want to pay for this. As part of my Clinical care I get a full lipid panel etc done every 3 months without fail. My care team is excellent though.

mikey

Well, the truth is I don't want to pay for it, but neither does my doctor.
When I asked the nurse what my results were she said 4.8 !
That was it, just total cholesterol.
I could have found that out at Boots!!
I can only imagine that you don't get the full panel because it's more expensive.

Thanks,
Mike.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
mikey
a total cholesterol is pretty useless. The HDL is a GOOD thing and should be high. It's LDL and triglycerides which need to be low.
Thus the need to be separated.
The 4.8 could be a good thing if it's mainly HDL and a bad thing if it's mostly LDL.
It's more informative still if the LDL is separated out into small molecule and large molecule.
Hana

mikey

Thanks Hana,
that is really the point I am trying to make.
Can I insist that my doctor gets a full set of results for me?
Regards,
Mike.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Mike.

You could try....? However, a more diplomatic way might be better ?

Something along the lines of,
" I am concerned about my lipid levels and tryglicerides as I have changed my diet and would like to know if it is having any effect ? Could I have a full lipid panel test done please. That will give me all the information I need to see where I might be getting it wrong ? "

Let them think THEY are doing YOU a favour....frequently works. :twisted:

Failing that is there another Gp in the Practice you could see ? Might be more helpful.

mikey

Thanks mate,
I'll give that a try, I wasn't going to try to beat it out of him but your approach sounds a lot more likely to succeed than what I had in mind. :oops:
By the way I love the black stuff too.
One of the worst thing about my diabetes is that it wont let me drink it!

All the best,
Mike.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Cheers Mike.

It's amazing what you can get people to do when THEY think THEY are in
control....subtle art. :twisted:

As for the Guinness, I only have two pints a week.....my little treat, and hardly any effect on Bg levels. As to when I used to down it with the best....nuff said !!! :D :(

goji

Hi Mikey

Hope it goes well with your GP. They really should be doing a full panel - mine does when I ask.

If you get really stuck, you can get private bloods done at Lab21. They email a kit to you but you have to find somewhere to get your bloods taken (local private hospital or kind nurse at the GPs). They charge £34 for a full lipid panel including Trigs, HDL, LDL and Total etc. I use them to get my thyroid bloods tested.

Personally I think you should get this free on the NHS though so if your GP doesn't agree, speak to another one.

Goji

mikey

Thanks Goji,
I will try again with the doctor because I think you are right about getting this done on the N.H.S.
Nice to know I can get it done privately though.
I buy my own test strips and, because I am not on medication, I pay for my own scripts so I don't think I am that much of a drain on the public purse.
Once again, thanks for the info.

Regards,
Mike.

mikereid

To maintain a strong fitness it is necessary to monitor cholesterol levels including both the total and HDL cholesterol levels. I will recommend using Suresign Total Cholesterol Test which enables the user to estimate both total and HDL cholesterol.

http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/cholesterol_c_667.html

But as with all screening tests therapeutic decisions should not be based on any single test.

AndyR

Dislikes
intolerant people, bigots
mikey said:
Thanks Goji,
I will try again with the doctor because I think you are right about getting this done on the N.H.S.
Nice to know I can get it done privately though.
I buy my own test strips and, because I am not on medication, I pay for my own scripts so I don't think I am that much of a drain on the public purse.
Once again, thanks for the info.

Regards,
Mike.
I thought as soon as you were classified diabetic you got the free NHS - just ask for a form at your surgery. Thing about diabetes is that it can affect more than just your blood sugar. Perhps I am wrong about the free NHS? Certainly you should get regular screening, flue jab etc

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Hi AndyR.

If you are a diet only controlled Diabetic then you do NOT get an exemption from prescription charges. It is only when you are prescribed Diabetic medication that you become elligible.

As you rightly say, you get a form and apply for the exemption. This does actually vary depending on where in the UK you live, Wales has free prescriptions for all !! Other ares are also different.

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
My cholestrol was up from 4-6 to 6-4 last mot. I was told that because I had a course of antibiotics I cou;dn't take the simvastin. This would explain the rise, wouldn't it? Now I've got to take a full fasting lipid test in January. Does this give the full test results...good/bad parts or just the total cholestrol level? :?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
A full lipid panel test should give you the works. Make sure when you get the results they are printed off for you, or if not write them down. Each laboratory also sometimes has different reference levels which can be a tad confusing.

As for the increase in TC that could be down to not taking the statin and/or your diet.