suggestions for Breakfast

Janieb

Dislikes
People who think that all diabetics are lazy - think some education is in order :0)
Hello I really need some suggestions for breakfast as I'm getting rather bored , oh and I cant have grapefruit as on collestrol tablets ,

Tried the following.

3 x white pittas 3 eggs with pepper and tomatoe - 2 hours afterwards 10.2 ( I was really hungry)
Porridge and cup of tea - Porridge no sugar 1/2 milk 1/2 waterand a cup of tea - 2 hours afterwards 10.6
Oat based cereal and cup of tea - 2 hours afterwards 7.5

I think I'll try toast tomorrow.

Romola

Some good quality muesli, eg
http://www.alara.co.uk/index.php?action=products
You can go for a relatively low carb one if you want.

mixed in with some 0% fat greek yoghurt eg http://www.totalgreekyoghurt.com/site/products_137.aspx

and a little soya milk (no added sugar) to soften it up.

Top with some blueberries and/or other berries, and if you are OK with it half a banana sliced up.

Tomato juice and green tea (no milk or sugar).

This is what I have most days for breakfast.

It has a low glycemic load, with protein from the youghurt - so I don't get hungry again for about 4 hours.

Janieb

Dislikes
People who think that all diabetics are lazy - think some education is in order :0)
Very weird - I had two slices of brown toast and a cup of tea - also did 10 minutes on the x trainer and my blood after two hours was 5 - wonder if thats the trick here bit of excercise.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I like eggs myself,
either scrambled in the microwave or fried with streaky bacon
Hana

jumbleannie1VDJQ

Dislikes
Intolerance, airports, having to plan my meals
Have just found a new favourite for breakfast, though it does sound a bit weird. I can't tolerate oats very well, so now instead of porridge I have yougurt or creme fresh with ground almonds and either strawberries or blueberry's and a little sweetner. Result :!: Sugar levels hit the dizzy heights of 6.2.
Crazy thing is if I mix porridge oats with ground almonds it still works and my levels don't rise much at all. Maybe it is the magic of the almonds. :lol: My alternative is omlette. Any kind. Mushroom, mixed peppers, bacon, or any other veg that is laying around in the fridge. Or even all of these with garlic. **** now I am getting hungry.

Janieb

Dislikes
Had porridge again this morning with a cup of tea and tested after two hours and it was 5.4 were as last week it went to 10.5

Can anybody make sense of that one - exactly the same measurements of oats, milk and water - weird hey.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Janie.

It isn't just what you eat, it is all related to your pre-meal reading as well. If the pre-meal reading was high the last time then the knock on effect will be higher after meals, if the PMR was low this time then it will obviously be lower afterwards.....?

Janieb

Dislikes
Hi my morning reading on that particular date was 5.7 thats why I couldnt understand it to be honest.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Janie.

As you say, a strange one. However do you know what the pre-meal reading was when the PMR was 10.5 ? If that too was low, it's a mystery. :D

Janieb

Dislikes
Hey,

on the high day porridge pre meal was 5.7 then two hours after was 10.6

today pre meal was 5.9 and two hours after 5.4

weird weird weird hey :roll:

Janieb

Dislikes
waking bloods 6.7
Had 2 x Brown seeded bagels from Tescos for breakfast today result two hours later 12.6
Guess thats another thing I cant eat for breakfast.
:lol:

Thinks at this rate its gonna be salad.

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Try one onion bagel with bacon and eggs.

Bagels are hugely high in carbs, with not a lot of fat to slow the absorbtion.
One onion bagel with a lot of eggs and banon usually is okay for me :D

Same goes with croissants. I can have one, with a nice yoghurt, some cheese, but i can't have two on their own.

Sometimes, they are just odd. We'll never be able to control every single thing that affects our blood sugar, so we're not going to know all the time. You might have had a small infection, a virus that your body was tryiing to fight off.
The day before maybe you did a lot more exercise than you thought.
Maybe it was hotter / more humid..... Body has to work harder, so it proccesses differently.

Things happen. We just do the best we can.

Lizzie7

Hi Janie,

I too have problems finding a breakfast to suit - not a great eater in the morning. I've found two breakfasts that are quick to make, easy to digest and don't affect my blood sugar at all:

- protein shakes (I use powder from H&B, soya milk/tofu and berries - I vary the ingredients from day to day)

- greek yoghurt (I use 'total' which is in most supermarkets) mixed with a table spoon of linseed, some slivered almonds and toasted coconut bits. I didn't like it at first but now I find it quite nice! You could put raspberries in as well for a bit of added sweetness.

Hope this helps

x

Janieb

Dislikes
Thanks guys, I must admit to strugging a bit now and feel quite upset when out shopping to the points of tears when trying to find things I can eat.

I know its silly but hey ho. so any suggestions you have including suggestings for lunch let me know and I'll try it.