needing reassurance

Pulley_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening / morning having a little situation at the minute whilst staring down the toilet. I feel like I've been doing OK for the last month. I wouldn't say my BG is stable but doing much better and embracing an alternate LCHF lifestyle. Horrible headaches haunt me every few days but a little sleep and I can muster on through but tonight (it's now 1:30am) I went to bed feeling a little nauseous and shaky and then have woken up in a blind panic that I'm having a hypo... Nope BG 6.3. I had carbs with my evening meal and have since had some malt loaf in an attempt to feel a little calmer but it's not fixing it. I'm still shakey and feeling like I have reflux and the urge to be sick (my biggest fear) and therefore I'm feeling quite panicked. I've been reading through posts as I usually find a few to relate to but tonight is not my night. I'm shattered but (stupidly I know) nervous to sleep. I take 12 units of levemir once a day and 1000mg metformin (no side effects to date) and am bouncing between BG levels of 6 to 10.7 on average. I know we are all so different but can someone tell me it's all normal in an attempt for me to feel calm again? And or advise on what I am supposed to do, if anything at all if I do end up being sick? Many thanks in advance. what would I do without you guys sharing your knowledge?

LaurenMoffitt

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Evening / morning having a little situation at the minute whilst staring down the toilet. I feel like I've been doing OK for the last month. I wouldn't say my BG is stable but doing much better and embracing an alternate LCHF lifestyle. Horrible headaches haunt me every few days but a little sleep and I can muster on through but tonight (it's now 1:30am) I went to bed feeling a little nauseous and shaky and then have woken up in a blind panic that I'm having a hypo... Nope BG 6.3. I had carbs with my evening meal and have since had some malt loaf in an attempt to feel a little calmer but it's not fixing it. I'm still shakey and feeling like I have reflux and the urge to be sick (my biggest fear) and therefore I'm feeling quite panicked. I've been reading through posts as I usually find a few to relate to but tonight is not my night. I'm shattered but (stupidly I know) nervous to sleep. I take 12 units of levemir once a day and 1000mg metformin (no side effects to date) and am bouncing between BG levels of 6 to 10.7 on average. I know we are all so different but can someone tell me it's all normal in an attempt for me to feel calm again? And or advise on what I am supposed to do, if anything at all if I do end up being sick? Many thanks in advance. what would I do without you guys sharing your knowledge?

Good morning! Possibly the metformin making you feel sick. I sympathise with you having panic about being sick. It's my greatest phobia. Will do anything to avoid being sick. I had a hypo at 3:30am. Luckily my dog knows when I'm having a hypo and wakes me up. Now wide awake if you want to chat.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hiya - hope your ok this morning ? To be fair (and i'm not a healthcare professional) but it sounds like a bit of anxiety, it's self perpetuating so the more you think it, the more you believe it, it does go hand in hand with type 1. The metformin may also not be helping - what are you taking it ? I generally found with metformin that it turned my stomach into a washing machine, I only took it because I asked for it thinking it would help with my control, to be honest even after taking the 'stomach friendly' version, it did nothing at all. Book in for a chat with your doc/consultant, you need to get to the bottom of it, if it is anxiety then you need to learn how to deal with it and find some ways to relax. Your levels are not abnormal honestly, I can happily jump between 5 and 15 every day, some days worse than others and I eat pretty much the same every day. Try and not get to absorbed by numbers, they don't define you or your control, your HbA1c gives you a much better picture of your control, what's more important is that you start to feel ok again ;)

Pulley_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks you guys, does make me feel calmer when people "in the know" aren't worried.

I do suffer with anxiety and have been on Citalopram for 18 months. It was diagnosed as social anxiety but is at its worst if I feel sick.

Im hesitant to say the metformin is the cause as most days I am absolutely fine (stomach of steel) in a month of taking them after my big meal in the evening I've had a funny tummy once and then last night's episode of shakey panic and nausea. I would say that last night, and only 1 night previously, I have been convinced that I am low enough to be having a hypo but nowhere near and that just leads me to confusion and like you say I think that in turn triggers the anxiety.

Annoying though as now I'm a bit grumpy and feel on the back foot for the day - and I'm usually such a positive person haha.

Ah well onwards and upwards - and another day chasing the DSN for the GAD and CPeptide results (just tell me already!!!

Thanks again for the kind words.

Lauren I hope you are feeling better x

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Ah bless - even the most positive people have their off days, i've definitely had a few !!

I would look at some alternative ways to help the anxiety as once this dissipates you will feel alot better, I tried mindfulness meditation when mine got bad, i didn't want to go down the medication route as i've done it before and felt that it masked the situation and didn't help me resolve it, meditation made me much more relaxed, taught me to be present and not worry so much, I still get stressed about stuff but no way near what I was. I also found deep breathing exercises and exercise helped alot too, it's really finding what works best for you ;)

MichaelWM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
High blood glucose.
A lot of times when people make the switch to LCHF it is possible that they are not attaining enough electrolytes, such as sodium, potassium and magnesium. That may explain your headaches and trembling. Are you suffering from muscle cramps at all?

Pulley_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn't say cramps as such but I've had restless legs at night as if they won't relax or get comfy. I asked my DSN if I should take any vitamins and she said no.

I have just had a reading of 4.6 (my lowest yet) I felt so bad (feeling sick, shaky, sweaty and faint) that I instinctively took a glucose tablet.

Now I'm feeling a little more on this planet I remembered that glucose tablets should only be used below 4!? Not sure if I did the right thing or not?

Diabetes has kicked my ass this week! Thank goodness it's Sunday!

Juicyj did you use the meditation apps?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I wouldn't say cramps as such but I've had restless legs at night as if they won't relax or get comfy. I asked my DSN if I should take any vitamins and she said no.

I have just had a reading of 4.6 (my lowest yet) I felt so bad (feeling sick, shaky, sweaty and faint) that I instinctively took a glucose tablet.

Now I'm feeling a little more on this planet I remembered that glucose tablets should only be used below 4!? Not sure if I did the right thing or not?

Diabetes has kicked my ass this week! Thank goodness it's Sunday!

Juicyj did you use the meditation apps?

Heya, sorry only just saw your response, just add a @ in front of my name and I can then see you shouted me out !

I have used youtube to look at meditations, I have joined a buddhist group locally who did a starter course to get me going, also done an online course at Futurelearn. I tend to use them when my brain is so full of stuff that I need to off load, otherwise sadly I get a bit angry, not something I am happy about but since diagnosis I found that from time to time I lost my temper, I couldn't deal with thinking about so much. The easiest way I can relax now is to just simply switch off and do a deep breathing exercise where you concentrate quite simply on the act of breathing in and out, that's a super quick way to relax. I have got better with time, alot more tolerant now and I only lose my temper with good reason (if there is such a thing !!) but not on silly things which wasn't healthy.

- I would only use glucose tabs if below about 3.6, if you're at 4 then just eat as normal but bolus a fraction less.

In time everything will get better, just have faith ;)

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can't comment on the metformin/upset tummy or the anxiety, but I wonder if you're having false hypos? if you've been running your BS slightly higher, and now with low carbing you're generally running on the low side of 'normal' you're body maybe thinking it's out of sorts? If that's the case your body will adjust to its new normal BS levels and so long as your BS stay in range the false hypo feelings will go.

Pulley_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In hindsight I think it was 1000% a false hypo that stung me! I really freaked out whilst maintaining an air of trying to be in control. Was too stressed to sleep for a few hours which wasn't ideal. Although this has now given me a bit more anxiety over a real hypo!

I don't think I'll understand until I do the DAFNE course how to count what I had in terms of carbs but if any of you super people are pros I had ;

3 unsmoked bacon medallions and some cheesy scrambled egg (around a fist sized portion) a naughty sugar free caramel latte with soy milk, 3 sliced of milano salami, some roast pork (2 slices) and some crackling, 2 small roast pots, tiny Yorkshire, fist full of spinach and a good portion of green beans.

I fear that perhaps i didn't eat enough but after a bad nights sleep I treated myself to a lay in.

Also did two 20 min walks.

Havent got a real clue as to where to start with carbs and am conscious that as I'm injecting insulin that i should have some?!

I can't express how much comfort this forum is giving me. After a tough evening I read the thread about funny responses until I fell asleep yesterday. You are all wonders to a diabetes novice. Thank you for your patience

Reactions: 2 people

Pulley_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To clarify.

I am suspected type 1 on levemir bit only once daily, until my GAD results I am not being prescribed any insulin for mealtimes (is that the bolus??? :S)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi, my c-peptide result took months, not reassuring for you I know but possibly useful info. I was put on basal/bolus straight away though. Can you ask to see DSN and dietician for some support/clarification on insulin and carbs?
Huge hug too. X

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, my c-peptide result took months, not reassuring for you I know but possibly useful info. I was put on basal/bolus straight away though. Can you ask to see DSN and dietician for some support/clarification on insulin and carbs?
Huge hug too. X
That's absolutely ridiculous. I'm sorry to hear that. Here in the US, I had my c-peptide test done in my first endow visit and the results were available the next day.

I also started on levemir (basal) only for the first 2 weeks after diagnosis. My doctors wanted to lower my blood sugar slowly before they eventually taught me to carb count.

At diagnosis-~30mmol/l
1st week-around 20 mmol/l
2nd week- around 15
3rd week- finally got down below 8
5 months later- Now, I correct for anything above 7

Long story short, you don't have to fix things overnight and to a certain extent that's I'll-advised.

Andy-Sev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am suspected type 1 on levemir bit only once daily, until my GAD results I am not being prescribed any insulin for mealtimes (is that the bolus??? :S)

Hi, you will find a few of us in the same boat on here, left in diabetic limbo when it comes to what type we are. I was diagnosed as suspected Type 1 in September last year due to ketones nad high blood sugar along with sudden onset but my GAD came back negative, which is inconclussive. Depending on who I speak to some say I am Type LADA in honeymoon whilst others think Type 2 and have been told that for now I will be kept as Type unknown until either something happens or repeat tests after a while will clarify things. It is frustrating when you don't know what is going on especially when everything points to being in the honeymoon phase. Unfortunately we are also all different and you can end up pulling your hair out looking for answers which just adds to the frustration of not knowing.

But what I can say is that things do becoming easier as each day passes, as you become more intune to how your body is working. Such as when I unexpectedly feel shaky and nauseous yet my blood sugar is in range I know that it may have been a sudden drop or rise which has put me at say 6.1 and that quick change has caused the feeling of being ill.

Reactions: 4 people

Pulley_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having a bathroom floor moment and your last paragraph has given me some clarity and peace of mind. I have gone from 14.1 to 8.1 to 7 in about 45 mins. Seem to have settled at 7.3 so I think I'll try and get my mind to relax.

Diabetes 1 - pulley 0