Please help

RubyTan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi guys, I'm in complete desperation seeking some advice on what to do, I was diagnosed with type1 diabetes 7 years ago after my first pregnancy at 15. Since then it has been a constant struggle to get my diabetes in order. I never remember to check my blood sugars, forget to do insulin and manage along by always doing my long acting insulin. Ive had DKA and ended up in hospital 6 times. No matter how much I want to have good control over my diabetes I always end up failing. As I was young when diagnosed my diabetic team still treat me like a kid. I'm thinking about getting hypnotherapy to help me to follow doctors orders. I feel stupid that I can't get to grips with IT and feel like a failure. Are there any other diabetics that don't test their sugars and struggle to eat the right things?

gillkin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I might sound unsympathetic but, it's no wonder your diabetes team treat you like a child, because you sound like you're acting like one, you are the only person who can help you, try taking this advice from someone who's had this condition for a long time, grow up and stop feeling sorry for yourself.

If you want to have any quality and length of life, start taking this seriously, I don't believe for one minute you are "forgetting" to do blood sugars and taking your short acting insulin, it's more like you're choosing not to. You might be getting away with it to some extent at the moment but you won't for very long believe me, I've known two people who did what you are doing, one is now blind and the other one is dead from kidney failure.

It is a nuisance and can get you down at times but I'm afraid that's life, I've had this for 48 years since I was four and with the knowledge and technology in place now, you can, with effort and care, live a virtually normal life. I'm proud to say that's what I do and so can you.

There's a saying that goes, "don't waste your life waiting for the storm to pass, learn how to dance in the rain."

Best wishes

Gill

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@RubyTan set up alarms on your mobile phone to remind you to test / take insulin. That's a start.
I've never been a mum (couldn't be bothered, no maternal instinct whatsoever) but you have got to look after yourself now for your children. Most mums put everyone else's needs before theirs. You must put your health first to be the mum you want to be. (No criticism meant about your parenting skills).
Look at this way, put everyone's needs before yours - fine.
But in the future you may find your child ends up being you carer.
You have to think long term.
Putting your diabetes first is not selfish. You have to. Full stop.
It's a hard slog yes, but invest in your health now and you will have all the lovely benefits in the future with your family.
Keep posting on here.

Reactions: 4 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @RubyTan, sadly you are not dissimilar to the majority of the type 1 population in the uk. Very few test themselves more than twice per day and most don't have good glucose levels. Where you are different is that you have now made the decision to do something about it by joining the forum. That's a great first step. Your next needs to be an active involvement in managing your own diabetes. You were diagnosed at an age that was two years older than I was. I know it's tough. You've had to go through some of the most difficult years as a T1 with hormones all over the place.

At least it can get easier from here as your body settles down. So how do you help yourself? Well first you need to accept that T1 is yours and not your doctors or anyone else's. And that your care of it is in your hands. As a result you need to make the small changes that allow you to get on with managing it. As @Mrs Vimes has suggested, set yourself alarms to remind you to do long acting and blood tests. With respect to short acting, part of your problem is that you have been in denial, so you've been not doing it and not testing at meals. You know you should. Every meal is a reminder that you should. That's the best way to think of it. That way you'll also be managing your food and insulin together. If you are going to eat things you shouldn't, every chocolate bar you eat needs to be tested and insulin given. Again, it's about you taking responsibility and accepting it is yours.

It will be a hard slog, but it's worth it to see kids grow up and remember that life really is worth living in the best way possible. Whilst diabetes may never be your friend, with a few small adjustments, it will be your companion rather than your enemy.

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @RubyTan
welcome to the forum.:)
I think as a starting point you have joined the forum and posted on here. Right now I think you need to just wipe the slate clean and start from now.
there are a lot of people here willing to help you with encouragement , and different strategies to regain control.

take small steps - don't try to get everything right all at once.
( we will be here to help because we really do want you to succeed :) )

Reactions: 5 people

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @RubyTan - welcome to the place where you'll find all the information and support you need :)

My main advice is not to be too hard on yourself if you don't get things right as soon as you start trying - it could be a long road but just keep going even if it's tiny baby steps sometimes, every step will be towards a healthier future

Samwar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi was only diagnosed a few months ago I started with having everything together in the kitchen on the same side as the kettle and were I keep all the breakfast bits so in the morning put kettle on and test make breakfast and do inserlin, so every time you go into the kitchen test have a spare meter in your bag so u can test while you are out just remember you run your life not the diabetes.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@RubyTan Type 1 is a total pain. It needs thinking about 24/7 whereas people without it can just eat and do what they like. When I was first diagnosed, as well as being upset I was also angry. I wonder if you're still finding it hard to come to terms with your diagnosis? It's not an easy thing.

You've implied that you don't "follow doctors' orders". Can you pin down why? It sounds a stupid question, but I think if you can identify what your particular issues with controlling your diabetes are, then that'll give you a window on how to deal with them.

I'm sure you know that all the care Type 1 needs isn't for the benefit of your doctors - it's for you and your family.

If this was a loved one who needed care, you'd help them, right? Think about it that way - by controlling your diabetes you're caring for your body because your body needs your help.

Start changing gradually. Maybe set some targets eg to test a certain number of times a day, to not miss your fast-acting insulin, whatever you choose to tackle first. As said above, if you link testing and fast acting insulin with food that makes it very hard to,forget.

Please do,post more. Your struggle isn't because you're weak. We all know how cr*p diabetes can be, and there are plenty of people here who can support you :)

Reactions: 2 people

xAmb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @RubyTan,

I'm a type 1 diabetic too, I was diagnosed 6 years ago when I was 16. We're in a similar boat.
I've always just found diabetes to be a hassle and felt like everyone goes on to me about it as I have poor control. Most of the time my sugars have been way too high! I'm glad you posted on here, I've always felt alone on this.

I've been through the phase of being fed up with it all: fed up of testing, fed up of hospital appointments/doctors. But recently I've decided make a start on correcting it :) Here's some advice on what I've done:
  • Bought a blood glucose meter thats, quick/easy to use & stores readings for me.
  • I was then asked to only test before & after bed for a week or two. This helped them to correct my background insulin.
  • Once those readings were starting to appear as good. I worked on my breakfast, dinner & tea readings.
  • I've joined the gym which has generally lowered the readings too
For years I've felt like everyone was onto me and it was all my fault but now. I didn't have any motivation.
But now that my readings are better, I'm being told 'well done' which makes me feel a lot more positive.
Just need to spend that little bit of time to get out the meter & test..
people start to respect the fact that your trying which gives you much better feeling about it all

Reactions: 7 people