Finger Prick / Testing

AJKOK11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, i just wanted to share what for me has been a really big step forward.

After being diagnosed as type 1 back in August last year ( i'm 46), i have found the daily grind of pricking my fingers in order to test my glucose the biggest annoyance. I use both sides of each finger but most are bruised and have developed hard skin around them already.

Anyway, i've been using a Glucojet (Dual Plus) pricker which uses individual lancets, and always had them set on 1 or 2 to get blood. 2 weeks ago my diabetic team changed me to a new meter ( Accu-Check Aviva expert) and along with it came a new finger pricker, an Accu-Check FastClix. It comes with six lancets in a cartridge that you rotate after each use. Now maybe the spring mechanisms are different, maybe having the lancets in a cartridge allows them to be narrower, but whatever the reason, boy is it easier. It is "almost" pain free and certainly 60% of the time i don't even notice it has clicked, but the blood is there.

It's been a real negative for me, so finally finding something that is such an improvement i thought was good to share with anyone else suffering from bruised fingers :)

Al.

https://www.accu-chek.co.uk/gb/products/fingerprickers/fastclix.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@AJKOK11 I use the Accu Chek Mobile meter which has the Accu Chek Fastclix attached. I chose it when I decided to get a meter because I have a needle phobia, and I read the reviews where most people found it to be the easiest lancet to use.
I have been using it for about 6 weeks now and have no problems with soreness. I find it easy to use and almost painless - just a quick prick.
I find the meter itself more problematic as I often seem to get a 'test error' or insufficient blood message, probably about 20% of my tests, which makes the testing more expensive. I have bought three of these meters and when I finish the tests (you get 50 tests with each meter) I might switch to the codefree one recommended on this forum.
But I will continue using the Accu Chek Fastclix lancets.

Reactions: 4 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
@AJKOK11 I use the Accu Chek Mobile meter which has the Accu Chek Fastclix attached. I chose it when I decided to get a meter because I have a needle phobia, and I read the reviews where most people found it to be the easiest lancet to use.
I have been using it for about 6 weeks now and have no problems with soreness. I find it easy to use and almost painless - just a quick prick.
I find the meter itself more problematic as I often seem to get a 'test error' or insufficient blood message, probably about 20% of my tests, which makes the testing more expensive. I have bought three of these meters and when I finish the tests (you get 50 tests with each meter) I might switch to the codefree one recommended on this forum.
It's the best pricker out there

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was looking into getting a meter one of the things I researched on Amazon was people's comments on various pricking devices as I was a bit needle phobic and the Fastclix came well recommended. When I changed to a different meter, I kept my Fastclix - the "thing" that came with the new meter was so fiddly and unpleasant! :eek:

Robbity

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I absolutely agree regarding the Accu Check Fastclix finger pricker.It was the first one I used.I like the lancet cartridge, and it is adjustable for depth so pretty painless.I have no pain, or lumps on my fingers and I test 7-8 times a day.
When I got an SD Codefree meter I could not get on with the finger pricker or individual lancets.It seemed crude and cumbersome and it was more painful.I only keep it as an emergency backup.
The ideal combination for me seems to be SD Codefree meter and strips,cheap and as accurate as any meter, and Fastclix finger pricker.Only problem is you have to buy the whole meter etc to get the Fastclix finger pricker.

Lou73

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I use the Fastclix - my surgery have now changed my meter but I've kept the Fastclix as its much better than any other that I've tried.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was given a Fastclix when I was given an Accuchek Mobile by my DN (no spare strips I might add). I have continued to use it with my Codefree meter and wouldn't use anything else. They are brilliant. The local pharmacy sells boxes of drums.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi Prem51, I use the same meter as you have just mentioned I have no problem with soreness and always use hand cream afterwards. I sometimes have had the test error come up a few times, put it down to not having the blood directly in the centre of the strip. :)

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Prem51 that is strange, as I have found the AC Mobile the easiest to use as it requires less blood than most with a strip, I sometimes expect an error message when the droplet isn't particularly big, but so far (after 170 + tests) I have never had one.

PS The Fastclix is definitely the best "pricker" I have used.

Reactions: 2 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@amgrundy and @britishpub yes it might be my fault that I have been getting so many 'errors'. I probably don't centre the blood too well. I wear varifocals and find it a little difficult to see where I'm aiming for.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The issue with pricking finger tips rather than sides for an extend period of time is that you can affect the sense of touch by damaging or desensitising the nerves.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Only thing I hate more than testing myself is submitting to a nurse or doctor testing me. My most memorable of these occurrences is when I went to a diabetes fair at a local farmer's market. I said, let me test myself and pulled my meter out of my purse and proceeded to do so. "Oh, no, you're doing it all wrong!" said one nurse after I had done my test and grabbed my dominant hand, swabbed me with a scratchy alcohol pad, then jabbed me with one of those things that keep you bleeding a long time on the side of my ring finger. She then took another alcohol pad, stem the flow, and gave another bloodstripping squeeze. A massive amount of blood appeared which she then tested on her massive meter. The result was exactly the same as I had gotten on my meter, . It took four days for the injury to heal, but I had sure learned the proper way to test. Two of them were yealling at me to stay and get educated as I fled with the rest of my hand as far away from them as possible.
your post had me laughing out loud -- i never let the nurses test my blood -- they ram the **** lancing device so hard against the finger I am surprised they don't punch a hole through my finger.

I always take it off them and explain that because I do it probably more often than they do i have learned how to be gentle-- usually does not go down too well but hey ho:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people