SamFergusson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rudeness
Hi @Miriamenily
I'm so sorry to hear that you're having such a hard time at the moment.
You'll get plenty of advice, help & support here I promise you :)
Just like you I have gone years of not having any control & not really taking care of myself. You've done the hardest part by taking a look at what is happening & deciding to make a change!
When ever you need help or just a moan there will always be someone here :) x

Reactions: 2 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Miriamenily how are you feeling today? Have you managed to start testing your bg or get some time off work? I could be jumping the gun but maybe your often feeling sick is because your bg is high so by testing and knowing where it's at you can correct that and it's a start with making you feel a little better

Abbie :)

Miriamenily

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi @Miriamenily how are you feeling today? Have you managed to start testing your bg or get some time off work? I could be jumping the gun but maybe your often feeling sick is because your bg is high so by testing and knowing where it's at you can correct that and it's a start with making you feel a little better

Abbie :)
Feeling a little better. I'm at least getting tests a little more often. I've not got time off yet but I'm going to ask for some holidays to just concentrate. Thank you for checking up its really appreciated

Reactions: 9 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Here if you need support, just shout x

vaughanie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

Hope you are feeling OK. Going to make a few short sharp points.

Do NOT worry about complications, they will just make you sad. They are a long time off. I am a near 30 year diabetic T1, so now is my time to worry about them - hence my gym bunny lifestyle.
DO test your bloods as often as you can. I do mine 4-5 a day. The Insulinx machine is perfect for you. I love mine. Some are high, some are perfect, some are low. That's just diabetes messing with ya.
Carb count but do NOT give up your favourite junk foods - I love a KFC every now and again. Try and get onto a DAFNE course if you can, it will make a huge difference to how you see diabetes and food.
Get into the fresh air and walk. Nothing clears your head like a good walk. Drive out somewhere nice to walk if you have to.

But above all, accept some days will be good. Some will be bad. You can strive for perfect control but you will never achieve it. Everything else will fall into place.

Reactions: 6 people

Miriamenily

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi,

Hope you are feeling OK. Going to make a few short sharp points.

Do NOT worry about complications, they will just make you sad. They are a long time off. I am a near 30 year diabetic T1, so now is my time to worry about them - hence my gym bunny lifestyle.
DO test your bloods as often as you can. I do mine 4-5 a day. The Insulinx machine is perfect for you. I love mine. Some are high, some are perfect, some are low. That's just diabetes messing with ya.
Carb count but do NOT give up your favourite junk foods - I love a KFC every now and again. Try and get onto a DAFNE course if you can, it will make a huge difference to how you see diabetes and food.
Get into the fresh air and walk. Nothing clears your head like a good walk. Drive out somewhere nice to walk if you have to.

But above all, accept some days will be good. Some will be bad. You can strive for perfect control but you will never achieve it. Everything else will fall into place.
Thank you! I just am at a loss! Need to stop for a bit I think and just chill!

Libby1726

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi
Is it the right word us diabetics use (not letting people in) I can look after myself!!. I hardly tested, guessed how much insulin to have. Until in the end I told my husband I need help. What I am trying to say to Miriamenily is have you support from your family. I do hope so and good luck.

Reactions: 3 people

Rachel_Shay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Reading your post has really opened my eyes.

Am so sorry to hear about your miscarriage and hope you're looking after yourself both mentally and physically, a break is defiantly what you need. I've never really taken this illness seriously, always saying that none of the serious consequence will never happen to me, until a year back when they said my eyes had changed and that if I don't get my levels controlled a lot could happen. Trying to change your lifestyle is so hard and as a teen drinking and partying is all you want to do. It takes time to figure out what works for you. Take small steps, things will get better.

Reactions: 4 people

Miriamenily

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi
Is it the right word us diabetics use (not letting people in) I can look after myself!!. I hardly tested, guessed how much insulin to have. Until in the end I told my husband I need help. What I am trying to say to Miriamenily is have you support from your family. I do hope so and good luck.
Well.. I used to not take insulin when I was younger to lose weight and my mum kind of thought it was s phase and got angry when I ended up in hospital. It's not her fault she doesn't understand the mental side of diabetes her ms is very different and I just don't think she saw it as an eating disorder. So I don't talk much about diabetes with her but she was amazing with the miscarriage! My partner is fantastic. I am determined to change things around.

Miriamenily

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Reading your post has really opened my eyes.

Am so sorry to hear about your miscarriage and hope you're looking after yourself both mentally and physically, a break is defiantly what you need. I've never really taken this illness seriously, always saying that none of the serious consequence will never happen to me, until a year back when they said my eyes had changed and that if I don't get my levels controlled a lot could happen. Trying to change your lifestyle is so hard and as a teen drinking and partying is all you want to do. It takes time to figure out what works for you. Take small steps, things will get better.
That's my worst nightmare I am scared and ready to stop that happening. You can always turn things around though. You can always do that I guess and that's why I'm doing it now. I want to be healthy and make sure my health in future won't have any effect on my baby's survival because I'm convinced I caused because I didn't know I was pregnant. Plus my partner said to me recently he feels like I'll die first and he will have to grow old without me and that was horrible.

Miriamenily

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I managed to get through a full day relatively in control today! Woke up sitting at 7.1, by 12 at my lunch I had sneaked to 14.3 but after eating and a bit of correction I'm at 9.2 now!

Reactions: 14 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
huge yay!!!!!!!!!!!!! (a few real tears here hun cuz i know the feeling:(:) from your last 3 posts)
glad you got some support too -- it does help
try to not think about the long term future ( seems a long way off at your age) because you can worry about things that won't necessarily happen and that makes them too scary ( not a good thing )

all the best !!
p

Miriamenily

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
huge yay!!!!!!!!!!!!! (a few real tears here hun cuz i know the feeling:(:) from your last 3 posts)
glad you got some support too -- it does help
try to not think about the long term future ( seems a long way off at your age) because you can worry about things that won't necessarily happen and that makes them too scary ( not a good thing )

all the best !!
p
I'm quite proud because I had a sh**** day and still did it instead of giving in and not doing it. ❤️

Reactions: 4 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I'm quite proud because I had a sh**** day and still did it instead of giving in and not doing it. ❤️
**** you girl:D -- you're bringing the tears here -- you should be so proud of yourself :):):):):)-- D is not much fun to live with sometimes and you are telling me ( and the rest of the forum ) that you are giving it full welly:) --
soooooo pleased for you !!

ps -- better add that most things D and other peeps ( and sometimes myself) can bring the tears -- it is a real emotional rollercoaster most all of the time ( no matter what anybody else says )

Miriamenily

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
So this morning I have woken up sitting at 4.3 and I'm not in a hypo!!! This is massive for me because normally I would hypo at just hitting under 5. Feeling good with a lot more energy. Don't think I would have stuck to testing daily without you guys and I can't thank you enough for the support. You have all helped me break a bad relationship with testing and injecting over 7 years in just a few days.

Reactions: 13 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
4.3 is something to be really proud of @Miriamenily I hope your day continues with great readings so you kick Monday's ass :) xx

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
well done you !!! :cool: