Diabetes comparison...sigh

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi All

I was the only diabetic in my office until about a month ago. I have suffered anxiety privately and am getting help with this, but it drives my sugars up when im particularly panicked. I have had to take a few days here or there off as Im trying to get the bgs under control and get a bad headache and very bad tiredness. I have now noticed that the managers are comparing my diabetes experiences with the other persons in the office and I feel like theyre thinking Im faking this! Someone actually said to me, you obviously just aren't as in control as (the other person) mayb you need to look after yourself the way they do.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? Very frustrating!

C

catherinecherub

If you spoke to the other people in the office with diabetes I expect they would tell you that they have their own struggles.
Does anyone know a perfect diabetic? You can only do your best @Lynz84 and people without diabetes will never know how hard it is.
Your managers need educating that diabetes is not as simple as they think and everyone's experience is different.

Jestred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can relate to the anxiety, after being off for three weeks after being diagnosed I just didn't want to go back. everyone in the office knew due to gossip. but everyone was very helpful with it, everyone seems to know of a diabetic T1 or T2, which is more of a pain than a help. as I've been offered more remedies and cures than you can shake a stick at. Gourds and exotic fruits which could and will in their view cure diabetes (maybe it would help T2's )
Ive taken a few days off due to T1 hypos in the night, but as Catherine cherub mentioned its a personal thing and everyone will have a different experience in gaining control and working it out. If you need time out take IT is my advise.

Reactions: 2 people

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That must be horrid @Lynz84 Do you have a manager that is supportive? Just thinking you could perhaps raise your concerns with someone and perhaps get some reassurance.

Have you spoken to the other person about your/their diabetes? They could be a good ally if they understand that we can't all be so 'controlled'.

There is no doubt that all our experiences are different so if ever you were challenged I'm confident between us we'd be able to get enough evidence for you to prove your point so try not to worry - easier said than done I know but you'll end up in a vicious circle with your anxiety (been there!).

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks you guys. Your responses mean a lot! Sometimes feel like youre being judged for not being the "perfect" diabetic.

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't believe there is any such thing as a "perfect" diabetic...we all have our own individual struggles...I'm sure I'm right in saying that we all have good and bad days...weeks and months where we just can't get it right for many reasons...but I believe that these times make us more determined in many respects...I know I strive to be as "normal" as everyone else...diabetic or not.
Personally... I've just had a nightmare few weeks where my night time basal rate changed quite dramatically leaving me hypo most of the night and most especially in the morning to the point I couldn't have driven...so consequently late for work on a few occasions. Whilst I always made the time up...I did feel that I was judged...thankfully my libre was able to back me up and my boss ended up being very supportive rather than giving me a hard time. Fingers crossed...I've now got it resolved...a pen change and a mere half unit made all the difference but rest assured we all have our struggles...maybe next month will be your colleagues time (God forbid)...but who knows...it'll never be easy...we just have to do the best we can with the cards we are dealt. X

Reactions: 2 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
These type of comments aren't constructive, every type 1 has their own battles, we all have good periods and bad periods, there isn't a constant or even a comparison as we are all unique. Would you feel comfortable approaching your boss or HR manager to take this further ?

Don't get down, it isn't worth it and won't help your stress levels. Also have you made friends with the newbie, it would give them great comfort I'm sure having you around who is at their level ;)

Reactions: 4 people