Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The usual advice for treating hypo's is to take fast-acting glucose and test your bg levels 20mins after.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
As @noblehead suggested after treating with glucose, I would add, check every fifteen minutes, till your back to normal levels.
Then eat something that will not upset you again.

8/3 is my birthday as well!

revive@2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
yobs +litter/.Loud music on t.v. when actors speaking
As @noblehead suggested after treating with glucose, I would add, check every fifteen minutes, till your back to normal levels.
Then eat something that will not upset you again.

8/3 is my birthday as well!
cannot reply keeps saying error so cannot read your link sorry
my hypo seem happen just befor bed time so cannot go to bed ,yet at 1/2 6 have had good meal and carbs at 1/2 9 have coffee and biscuit .this happen every 3 week getting me annoyed .good rest time wonder anyone got hints ??/

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Can you let us know what insulin(s) you are on and when you take them? Your profile just says Novo pen.

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I seem to feel we've had this conversation before.

Are you on NovoMix insulin? I ask because I had to stop it rather rapidly as I was having regular hypos, then rebounding to very high figures in between - beyond the reaction to the hypo treatment, which I started treating conservatively when I saw the high numbers I was also getting. As soon as I stopped it, I haven't had a hypo since. I was fluctuating between about 3 and 19 within a couple of hours.

I found that the background/basal aspect of it (70% of the mix) which is intended to last around 12 hours in your system, was for me, lasting about 16 hours. Therefore when I took a dose with either my evening meal or breakfast, after about 4 hours I was having a hypo as I found that I had effectively three doses of insulin active - the 30% rapid element for my meal was still active, the 70% basal of the recent dose was just reaching maximum potency and the basal aspect of the previous dose was still working, hence hypos at 16 hours after the previous dose and around 4 hours after the most recent.

I've since changed to Lantus and NovoRapid so that I can tweak the different elements individually and am much more stable and consistent on it. My research would suggest that mixed insulins are good short-term for getting wayward diabetics under better control, but not as good for long term maintenance once your numbers are lower. My range now is still a bit high, as we're titrating the dose up, but between around 6 to 10 - but on less than half the dose of the mix I had been taking.

revive@2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
yes on nova mix 30 morning 46 then at night 1/2 6 take 48
also on 100 metformin morning and tea time
just night don't get right dr say 49 carbs per meal don't have snack after tea time full dinner ??
but that make me low hence biscuit +coffee
or hypo befor bed ,they say dr no don't want you alter with food ???
but rest day fine and I don't retire till 1/2 12
so loooong time go hungry .

revive@2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi. Can you let us know what insulin(s) you are on and when you take them? Your profile just says Novo pen.
I am on nova mix =30 and metformin 1000 morning and 1/2 .6 at night
I take 46 in morning 48 at night xthank you revive@2

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
48 units of NovoMix 30 is equivalent to over 14 units of rapid acting insulin for the meal and over 33 units of basal for 12 hours - which sounds quite a lot to me for a T2 on a mixed insulin regime. If you're going hypo after one of the doses, it simply sounds like you've having too much insulin for your eating routine at that dose. If you eat at 6:30pm - but maybe don't have your breakfast until 08:30am, that breakfast basal (lasting 12 hours) dose is still potentially active when you add the second evening dose - only 10 hours later.

That was the problem I had, but the other way round, I was going hypo late morning, although my doses were pretty evenly 12 hours apart - it was just lasting longer in my system than expected - I calculated about 16 hours for me, based on BG readings. So if you eat your dinner at 6:30pm and have a hypo late evening, you're potentially experiencing the same overlap that I did - your morning basal is still active when you take your evening mixed dose.

But it's irrelevant what I think, this is a conversation you need to have with your medics - presumably there is a reason why they don't want you to mess with your eating routine - but having to eat enough carbs to meet the insulin needs seems backwards way round to me - your insulin dose should be tailored to your actual need based on food taken and BG readings. But I believe this was explained to you in another thread. I urge you to have this conversation with your team.

revive@2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
48 units of NovoMix 30 is equivalent to over 14 units of rapid acting insulin for the meal and over 33 units of basal for 12 hours - which sounds quite a lot to me for a T2 on a mixed insulin regime. If you're going hypo after one of the doses, it simply sounds like you've having too much insulin for your eating routine at that dose. If you eat at 6:30pm - but maybe don't have your breakfast until 08:30am, that breakfast basal (lasting 12 hours) dose is still potentially active when you add the second evening dose - only 10 hours later.

That was the problem I had, but the other way round, I was going hypo late morning, although my doses were pretty evenly 12 hours apart - it was just lasting longer in my system than expected - I calculated about 16 hours for me, based on BG readings. So if you eat your dinner at 6:30pm and have a hypo late evening, you're potentially experiencing the same overlap that I did - your morning basal is still active when you take your evening mixed dose.

But it's irrelevant what I think, this is a conversation you need to have with your medics - presumably there is a reason why they don't want you to mess with your eating routine - but having to eat enough carbs to meet the insulin needs seems backwards way round to me - your insulin dose should be tailored to your actual need based on food taken and BG readings. But I believe this was explained to you in another thread. I urge you to have this conversation with your team.
many thanks have had this with them ??I was on just metformin for 15 years then had intestine burst and gaul stone and ulcers ,cause pain had heart do in hospitial 4 weeks year ago while in there they took me off metformin I had be sep room cos bowel problems just hypo all over for week .they resume them sent note dr to take off them went glicimide .I was 12 stone went on an insulin +glic .for 9 month .blew up like balloon to 18 stone .sent to hosp special nurse dr put me on novo mix and coated met /its 500 morning then night ??given list of what to do if high night or low ???and try loose weight now .was 5.8 befor meals 8 after just these night ???think you right but no experience insulin flounder a bit ??many thanks revive@2