HI

lisacp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone using the insight pump know, how high your bg has to be for the meter to just read HI?
I had this last night before bed. I corrected but was concerned about going low in my sleep.
The meter would not give me a bolus so just took a guess, therefore was wary if giving more.
Spent the night thirsty and weeing, woke up at 29.9!!

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm on a pump but not the same as you.
As far as I'm aware most meters will read HI when bg is above 30mmol. If it were me I would have checked for air bubbles in my tubing, tested for ketones, changed the infusion set and doubled my correction dose.
Then I would have made sure I drank plenty of water to flush out any ketones (depending on what the reading came out at) and tested bg very hour until stable again.

Hope you're feeling better now!!

Claire x

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Most meters show Hi at around 33, not sure about the insight but would think it's around the same level.

lisacp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you I did check for ketones. They were 0.01 so wasn't overly concerned about that. I also changed my set. I was just cautious of over correcting as it was night time and I have had a number of bad night time hypos in the past. The last one resulting in me nor waking up.

Reactions: 3 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I'm on a pump but not the same as you.
As far as I'm aware most meters will read HI when bg is above 30mmol. If it were me I would have checked for air bubbles in my tubing, tested for ketones, changed the infusion set and doubled my correction dose.
Then I would have made sure I drank plenty of water to flush out any ketones (depending on what the reading came out at) and tested bg very hour until stable again.

Hope you're feeling better now!!

Claire x
those are the exact instructions i got from my DSN when i started - thankfully so far have not faced that sort of high reading yet.

hopefully you are back to normal levels now @lisacp ??

all the best !

Reactions: 2 people

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Glad you didn't have ketones!
Do you know what caused the high in the first place?

With regards to the night time hypos have you basal tested through the night to check your dose is right?

Claire x

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Very surprised the pump didn't suggest a correction bolus :confused:

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
It's all a learning curve, you know now what to do for next time, as suggested above your pump should of given you a correction dose to administer so look into this ?

I was also given the same advice as @claire1991 - another tip is to change your infusion set early in the day so if there is an issue you can manage it before you go to sleep ;)

Reactions: 3 people