How long do I wait inbetween snacks?

CJRoberts

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My ratio for units of insulin to carbs is 1:10g. My dietician said that I can have snacks that are 10g of carbs or less that I don't have to inject for.

I'm curious as to how long do I have to wait in between snacks for it to not affect my BG?

Say if I had something that was 10g of carbs how long would I approx need to wait until I could have another snack that's 10g of less? I'm always so hungry!!! lol

(Hope that makes sense) thanks X

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@CJRoberts Why not just have a bigger snack and inject? That's what I do. I try to keep my snacks below 30g, usually closer to 20g. I eat things like cereal bars, two digestives with cheddar cheese, an apple and a biscuit, smoked salmon with cream cheese on Ryvitas, etc.

Markham_K

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey
I'm on the same as you 1:10g... I never really thought of waiting between snacks, I've noticed that I can snack on a few things before it effects my BG ..

I'd personally snack on what you want and test your BG an hour or two afterwards, see what your body can take before needing a shot

Hope that helps, pretty new myself so I'm playing around with everything, don't be afraid to mess around, it's your body, and you need to know what it can and cannot handle xx

CJRoberts

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Most of the time I do inject and have a bigger snack but when I'm out and about I just can't be bothered to inject and bother with all the faffing so was just curious!

Yeah I think I may try it one day when I've got some spare time to play about, knowing me I would over do it and eat too much! Lol at least I'll have more of an idea thanks :) X

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If I didn't want to inject, I'd stick with things like cheese, meat, nuts or a few veggies or similar - anything low carb.

I'd probably test about an hour later just to see how things were going, but that's just me. When I'm out and about, I test frequently anyway as something like shopping can be surprisingly energetic. I tend to snack when I have a break eg a coffee and snack, so I'm sitting down and can sort my insulin easily. I have a pump now, but did the same on injections.

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi CJRoberts!

Everyone's body is different. Use your meter to measure how your body responds to things. Just remember that it is the overall picture that matters, not any one reading.

Always being hungry isn't how life needs to be! And in my experience it wears you down fast. One thing you can do is take a bit more insulin with your meal and then make sure to have a snack after 2 or 3 hours, while some of the insulin is still acting. Or, you can just eat larger meals so you're not hungry in between.

When I cut down my carb intake (less bread and cereal, more meat and veg) I also find my appetite is reduced.

Find something that works - being hungry isn't fun!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I find if my BS isn't stable I am hungry. I also found the more insulin I take at one time the hungrier I am so I am now eating small meals with less insulin and I am not hungry. I am vlc too though. I do snack but it is usually a small amount of nuts or olives.