Cake and low Carbs

Daniece

My low/no carb diet is really working but I really miss my homemade cake. I made one yesterday with coconut flour which is delic but if anyone has any recipes to share I would love to try some more.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Daniece , welcome to the forum! An excellent source of low-carb cake recipes is @ewelina 's site http://www.diabeticgoodbaking.com/p/cakes.html - I made my third batch of her chocolate brownies yesterday. With the brand of chocolate I used in mine, they're 4.6g carbohydrate each - yes, for a whole brownie!!!!!!!!!!!

They're still very much a 'treat' despite being low in carbs, as they are highly calorific, but they really, really hit the spot. And nicer, I think, than a sugar-packed one - I would say that you wouldn't know the difference, but the difference is that they're nicer, in my opinion.

:hungry:

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a search through the Low Carb section of the forum, PInterest and even Google.

There are 1000s of delicious low carb recipes, and many, many blogs, and lots of links to them in the threads mentioned above. It is a fantastic journey of discovery.

I think my personal favourite is the straciatella cake. Lush.

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are some great recipes in the low carb forum, it can be a bit daunting as its a LOT of pages to go through, but some of them have been put into a clickable list by forum member PurpleKat on the low carb vegetarian thread. The desserts go over two or three posts as there are so many of them but it might be an easier way to find some recipes to start off.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/vegetarian-vegan-low-carb-recipe-index.61859/

I personally don't like sweeteners so I often adapt recipes, my favourite chocolate cake one is below, I make a big version for parties, it is a very intense chocolate taste, so don't need a lot an extra sweetness comes from serving it with cream.

Ingredients:
4 eggs
200g cream cheese/Philadelphia
100g butter
100g dark chocolate (70%)
Flaked almonds or any nuts - optional
(1 tsp vanilla flavoring)

Preheat the oven to 200C/180 fan.
Grease a springform with a little butter.
Melt butter, break chocolate into pieces and stir until melted, dont overheat or else you get a grainy mixture. Beat eggs until really fluffy and voluminous, add the cream cheese, a little at a time, beating well after each addition.
Using a spatula stir in the chocolate butter mix, stir well.
Pour batter into springform tin and sprinkle with nuts.
Bake on the middle shelf for 15 - 20 minutes.

Amandamc2711

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There are some great recipes in the low carb forum, it can be a bit daunting as its a LOT of pages to go through, but some of them have been put into a clickable list by forum member PurpleKat on the low carb vegetarian thread. The desserts go over two or three posts as there are so many of them but it might be an easier way to find some recipes to start off.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/vegetarian-vegan-low-carb-recipe-index.61859/

I personally don't like sweeteners so I often adapt recipes, my favourite chocolate cake one is below, I make a big version for parties, it is a very intense chocolate taste, so don't need a lot an extra sweetness comes from serving it with cream.

Ingredients:
4 eggs
200g cream cheese/Philadelphia
100g butter
100g dark chocolate (70%)
Flaked almonds or any nuts - optional
(1 tsp vanilla flavoring)

Preheat the oven to 200C/180 fan.
Grease a springform with a little butter.
Melt butter, break chocolate into pieces and stir until melted, dont overheat or else you get a grainy mixture. Beat eggs until really fluffy and voluminous, add the cream cheese, a little at a time, beating well after each addition.
Using a spatula stir in the chocolate butter mix, stir well.
Pour batter into springform tin and sprinkle with nuts.
Bake on the middle shelf for 15 - 20 minutes.
How many servings, carbs per slice do you know. It sounds lovely.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Are you injecting insulin?
If not, just label the carbs 'insignificant' and enjoy the cake.

The way to check the carbs in any bespoke recipe is to check the ingredients online, work out how many g carbs are in each weight of each ingredient, add them all together, then divide them by the number of slices you cut the cake into.

And of course, we all cut different sized slices...

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

It will vary depending on which full fat cream cheese and which chocolate you use (if I am making it for myself I use 85% dark chocolate with about 18g carbs for 100g). So can be less than 30g carbs for whole thing 9assuming my quick maths are correct)

It does make a very large cake, I would say at least 12 servings (unless my two brother in laws are around then its 6 slices!). So about 2.5g carbs per slice assuming no extra cream, nuts or berries - but a little of those make it taste even yummier, but will need to be accounted for. I often make it in smaller quantities and put into small ceramic dishes, I bake them then re-heat as needed.

Reactions: 4 people