Am I Now a Type 1 Diabetic?

Bexley Ash

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed about 2 years ago with Type 2 Diabetes and have been taking Glipizide. I am a steroid induced diabetic and also have steroid induced Addison's Disease. I take 10mg Prednisolone daily to control Addison's. My Blood Glucose reading have been running high 15 - 18 Mid day through to Mid Evening. My Consultant has now changed me over to insulin. Humulin - the question I now have is: 'Does taking Insulin mean I am now a Type 1 diabetic? Thank you.

Reactions: 4 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
No, it means that you are an insulin dependant T2.

The pathology of the T1 and T2 conditions are completely different.

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's really impossible for any of us to say whether you are diabetic in the first instant as only your medical Dr's can confirm this. It may well be the case that your diabetes is a secondary result of being prescribed the steroids which are well known to interfere with the control of normal blood glucose levels giving a false impression that you are diabetic. If this is the case then it may be that if you are eventually taken off the steroids, then your diabetes vanishes.
If this is the case then you are technical neither Type 1 or Type 2, but have steroid induced diabetes however you say that you were diagnosed as a Type 2 some time ago but was this before you were prescribed the steroids in which case you would still be classified as a Type 2 now requiring Insulin Medication as a result of taking steroids.
Hope this helps but you will need to discuss this further with your Dr who will know all your previous medical history.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No you're not T1, type one is an autoimmune disease and is different from type two.
If you are a type two taking insulin then that's what you are!

All the best
Claire x

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
If this is the case then it may be that if you are eventually taken off the steroids, then your diabetes vanishes.
As the poster now has Addison's it is highly unlikely that they will ever be able to stop taking steroids so this is a mute point.

The poster is like me and many others technically Type 3E (but unlike me also insulin dependant )

@jashcroft welcome to the forum I will tag @daisy1 who will give you some basic info if you have not seen it already.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bexley Ash

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all your replies - most helpful. I am now up to 18 units of Humulin once a day. My BG readings are beginning to drop, highest today was 15.7 down from 23 plus - so going in the right direction.

Reactions: 3 people