What can I expect?!

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't know if anyone can tell me, but basically I'm t2 diagnosed Dec 15. My husband and I have our first infertility appointment at the end of the month. I was wondering what to expect in terms of what treatments they're likely to come up with and also whether or not they're likely to want to interfere with my t2 treatment....

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hiya
I'm type1 so a little different but I think you will need to be well controlled and have the same target ranges-about 5 before meals and 7.5 an hour after. At the hospital I'm at there was pre conception clinics so you could talk through everything with a dsn and consultant. I didn't have fertility treatment so no help there I'm afraid. I'm sure some of the other ladies might be of more help....

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't know if anyone can tell me, but basically I'm t2 diagnosed Dec 15. My husband and I have our first infertility appointment at the end of the month. I was wondering what to expect in terms of what treatments they're likely to come up with and also whether or not they're likely to want to interfere with my t2 treatment....

The short answer is that it depends what might be causing the infertility and what treatment is needed.

If, just as an example, you were to need drugs or hormone treatment, then these can sometimes cause high sugars so your diabetes meds may need to be adjusted to take that into account, but that would be done by your diabetes team rather than the infertility people.

kazC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As Azure said, the hormones can mess up your sugar levels - whilst on progesterone, I needed a lot more insulin. But I did check this out with my DSN before adjusting things, just to check this was normal.

Also, don't underestimate that it can be emotionally stressful, which may also affect your levels. I listened to relaxation recordings and, if you haven't tried it, get hold of a colouring book for grown-ups - brilliant!

I'm type 1, pump-controlled, so I don't know what meds & regime you might be on, but the clinic may need to take that into consideration if you have an egg collection, which needs you to fast beforehand. Our clinic put me first on the morning list.

If not already taking it, start a prescription-strength folic acid supplement.

Stay optimistic - but realistic. It is a hard line to walk. We start our second cycle in a couple of weeks.

Wishing you all the luck in the world!

Reactions: 4 people

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for your answers. At the moment the tests that my gp's have done have all come back normal - hence the referral. Guess I just have to sit tight until the appointment lol.

@kazC my dr took me off the prescription 5mg folic acid and put me back onto the 400mcg folic acid :(

As for my bgs I rarely manage to get my levels below mid 6's and they average around the early 7's at the moment. Although I am learning what triggers them to increase, I haven't really managed to get them down much at the moment :(

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@RoseofSharon Why did your Dr take you off the high dose folic acid? I have Type 1 not Type 2, but I assumed Type 2s took it too?

Don't answer if it's too personal, but I'm assuming your partner has been tested too? That sounds like a daft question, but Drs often focus on the woman when an equal number of fertility issues are caused by male issues.

I hope your appointment goes well :)

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was just before i was diagnosed, I had managed nearly two years ago to come off all my fibromyalgia medications and so except for a strong pain killer the dr I saw back in Nov couldn't get his head around why I was taking high doses of folic acid (rather short sighted in my opinion given everything I was actually going through at the time but *sigh* alas I was not exactly well enough to argue my case properly as to why I should remain on them :(

Yes my husband was tested before I was.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@RoseofSharon I'd check about the 5mg folic acid with your diabetes team. I understood it was recommended for all women with diabetes in order to reduce the risk of defects, specifically neural tube defects. I took mine when I was trying to conceive and for the first 14 weeks of pregnancy.

Good news your partner has been tested. One thing ruled out, so hopefully you're closer to an answer :)

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
@RoseofSharon - just wanted to wish you all the best and good luck! As others said we obviously don't know what treatment they come up with for your fertility issues but once you have an idea I will be more than happy to help if I can. I am Type 1 and on a pump and have just been through 4 years of infertility before getting referred for IVF start of 2015. It will be a potentially long and definitely hard road but try and stay positive about it all and you have good chances that it will work out. I had my first cycle in March last year and I had a BFP and unfortunately miscarried a few weeks later. Drug wise and diabetes wise it wasn't a problem at all. I obviously adjusted my insulin once I knew I was pregnant and went to our antenatal diabetes clinic. 2nd cycle I had in summer which just failed and after that I had to take a few months out. We did the last one in November last year and I was full of optimism and convinced it would work before we started. I had to be on steroids this last cycle which made my sugars difficult to control but I managed eventually.
Needless to say it was the most stressful time of my life ever but well worth it cos I am now 20 weeks pregnant. Any questions please ask.
@kazC Best of luck with your next round!!! xx

Reactions: 5 people

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you I will ask more questions once I know. I think sometimes the first appointment is the most scary, so hopefully I will calm down after the appointment this Thursday. It seemed so far away when I booked it!

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
Thank you I will ask more questions once I know. I think sometimes the first appointment is the most scary, so hopefully I will calm down after the appointment this Thursday. It seemed so far away when I booked it!

We were nervous before our first appointment too! But once you get going time will fly by I promise, it did for us! What clinic is your appointment with if you don't mind me asking?