Dr tried to stop test strips

viv1969

Had a long and frankly annoying visit with the doc on Wednesday which resulted in her reviewing all my meds, at the end of which she told me I test to often, they don't recommend T2's to test and that she was going to take the test strips off my prescription list. I told her that I thought she ought to take a look at how much better my control has been since I began tesing regularly and if it were possible to see the minutes of the last budget meeting discussing the prescribing of test strips and how they might possibly be attempting to cut costs either in the local PCT or even just one a surgery level. I still have my prescription for strips.

It wasn't until I declined the Swine Flu vaccination that she really climbed out of the pram.

dragongirl

That made me grin - I needed cheering up. Thanks! I intend to get my GP to progress from the one box she has already donated me, to one or two per month. I won't hold my breath.
DG

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I've been told firmly I can't have them unless I'm ill. My doctor says I'm, "worried well".
I am well, but that's down to my BG control. ( using strips I BUY :cry: )

iris peleg

know the problem

The dr reflect the policy of the medical insurance. The insurance is the one that tries to cut the cost.
Funny that they want us to be in a better control but limit the strips.

How many packages are you using per month? What type of medicine are you using?

Iris

IanS

On a not unrelated note, I see on the news this morning that some committee or other has found that there is an NHS postcode lottery. I think we as a forum could have saved them a lot of tax payers' money here.

Granted they were talking about cancer care, but I never imagined it was any different to the post code lottery that we diabetics regularly read about here.

IanS.

FordPrefect

I seem to remember some committee deciding the same thing back in the 90s and a few more in between. I predict that in 5 years time some committee will again conclude there is an unfair postcode lottery and promptly forget the report and go back to buisness as normal

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Definition of a Committee.

A group of men/women who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done.

:wink:

Fujifilm

cugila said:
Definition of a Committee.

A group of men/women who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups. :D

wpaisley

I was talking to a lady last week who is on insulin who had been advised by her diabetic nurse that she only needs to test about three times a week. This lady drives on a regular basis. I bet if her car insurance company knew they would stop her insurance. The reason she was given this advice about her test strips was that the PCT was try to cut down the usage of these stips.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
wpaisley said:
I was talking to a lady last week who is on insulin who had been advised by her diabetic nurse that she only needs to test about three times a week. This lady drives on a regular basis. I bet if her car insurance company knew they would stop her insurance. The reason she was given this advice about her test strips was that the PCT was try to cut down the usage of these stips.

Par for the course in most areas I think ? I too have a friend who is on Insulin and was advised to test once daily at the same time, on waking. Not surprisingly he gets consistent readings of around 5-6 mmol/l. He thinks he is well controlled.

However, for several months now he has been getting all the symptoms of retinopathy, neuropathy, putting on weight and all manner of other ailments which I am sure are due to him running high Bg levels.

This idea of testing at times other than what the DN or GP tells him is not for him. THEY - know best. I fear for him and his health but just cannot get through to him that what he is doing is not good for him.......all because of some 'bean counter' somewhere who hasn't the faintest idea what costs are doing to people and their lives. Sad...... :(

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
viv, - I liked the reference to the pram ! I'm still laughing !

However the restriction on teststrips is not so funny - I haven't been refused yet but I haven't used so many, so this will be the first time for 3 months that I have ticked them on the scrip form. We shall see if ' GOD ' will prescribe !

Oh and I'll refuse Swine Flu jab, I'm 15 years ex heart transplant now and have refused the ' normal ' vaccine every year after the first, which put me in bed for 2 weeks.

Seasons greetings to all and don't forget to eat the skin off of the turkey !

wpaisley

I am not yet convinced that it is the bean counters who are at fault. I believe that the big problem is Primary Care. Once we get to the stage of self management and diabetes education things might get better as people will understand their condition. But then maybe not. :lol:

pbakajb

Dislikes
diabetes, lack of proper treatment and the awful side effects of the prescribed medication!
When first diagnosed with T2 diabetes, I bought the strips not knowing I could get them on prescription as my GP didn't inform me. Later a large chemist who told me I shouldn't be buying them and told me tell the GP. Later I too was refused test strips eight months and told 'their too expense and it's better for them to monitor me every 6 months'. I'm also a full time carer of a disabled insulin dependent elderly mother so funds are tight. This situation hinders me from managing/monitoring my own diabetes as best as I can. So where do we stand on 'demanding' the strips from our GPs???

Tried and tested and tested and tested................... :cry:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
wpaisley said:
I am not yet convinced that it is the bean counters who are at fault. I believe that the big problem is Primary Care. Once we get to the stage of self management and diabetes education things might get better as people will understand their condition. But then maybe not. :lol:

The PCT (Primary Care Trusts) ARE the 'beancounters.' It is they who fund the practices and who dish out instructions as to what may be prescribed to whom, most practices have their own criteria which also is all down to costs. So, it is a 'double edged' sword used against Diabetics. We are got at from both sides. :twisted:

I do wonder about the 'benefits' of so called 'self management etc. I have yet to be convinced that much will change....we'll see. :?

They even disregard NICE guidelines about testing for newly diagnosed and people whose job's depend on not going onto Insulin. Something that has even more far reaching effects.

FordPrefect

Can I suggest that maybe those of you that are having problems getting test strips on prescription that you try and enlist the aid of your MP to fight your PCT for you? They are a public body and hence should be accountable to someone and maybe your MP might be able to apply the right sort of pressure for you. I'd have thought at the moment sitting MPs would be happy to be seen to help...

ham79

Dislikes
diabetes and cbeebies
I've always gotten strips and monitors from doc(type2 & now type1). surely the cost of dealing with the complications that will occur if bg's not regularly checked outweigh the cost of strips or is that just me

FordPrefect

ham79 said:
I've always gotten strips and monitors from doc(type2 & now type1). surely the cost of dealing with the complications that will occur if bg's not regularly checked outweigh the cost of strips or is that just me

That's in planet sanity you have to remember that managers and bean counters don't worry about next year or in 10 years time only the next few months. They will save 10p this year even though it will cost than 10 billion in 10 years. OK maybe a slight exaggeration but its just to illustrate the point especially when its a possible cost not a definite cost.

lizives

I am so lucky with both GP and Practice Nurses. I had to ask for strips about 3 years ago and have always had them on prescription. Also after latest 6 month check I was given a Contour meter plus strips and lancets on prescription - did not have to ask. It is obviously a lottery who gets what and from whom.
Ask your Doctors/Nurses for these things and see what happens. Be a bit pushy if necessary - try another Doc in the practice too if your regular Dr wont play - but ask WHY if the answer is no. Time there was consistency.
Amazing that people who use "social" drugs can get help and those of us who really need them or equipment sometimes have to fight for what we need! :x

k9dave

As a T2 diagnosed over a year and a half ago i have always been refused test strips being told that three monthly tests at Gp surgery were suffficient, i had to be taken off metformin due to side effects and am currently on Gliclazide. Having been asked how often i tested bearing in mind that it is at my own expense i have been continually told that it was not necessary and when i asked how i was expected to manage my T2 without testing was told to "follow their guidance" which consisted of giving out the usual NHS leaflets. Having also been very recently diagnosed with angina which due to the medication needs frequent testing due to the effect of this medication on blood sugar levels they still refuse to issue test strips on a prescription despite the advice given from the cardiac unit at hospital.
We will see how far the complaint gets but i dont expect too much of a climb down as it is based on "managed cost"