Has anyone had a problem with oats

dogma1995

Hi
I am a newbie to the site. Diagnosed Type 2 about 10years ago. Great success on low carbs lost over five stone but fell off the wagon - now struggling to maintain good control and lose the weight I regained. Dietary advice is so confusing and the hospital dietician has recommended oats as a good breakfast and source of low release energy but I am zonked out within minutes of eating any -bloods rising rapidly to over 15 with small amounts. I can lose a whole day unable to think, move or function. When I tell my GP and other medics I am told this is not possible. Has anyone else suffered the same reaction or am Ijust making it up?
Thanks
Dogmahttp://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/posting.php?mode=post&f=3&sid=397fc87547cb63de943dca55ae10f6cb#

johnoo

Yes it is confusing, I am also trying to get back into control.
I to have found that Porridge Oats sends my blood suger soaring! But it looks as if Brown bread toasted does not, yet the "experts" say it should.
I do not get the reaction you do, is this just worry, i can u/stand?
I do not know a solution, it just gets more confused by the day, but lets hope

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Hi dogma,
I'm another that has problems with oats as have many others, I stay well clear of them now and stick with the Low Carb High Fat diet.

Cheers
Graham

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It may be the type of oats you are using,the quantitiy or what you are eating with it.The rec portion size for most people is small (30g) and the gi varies considerably on type from around 40 to over 80 .
There are scientific reasons for this ( eg:differences in the milling,pre cooking, and the soluble fibre content) but the higher gi ones .... those that produce the higher spikes, tend to be those where the oats are additionally processed to produce instant or fast cooked porridge.
It may be better to choose coarse ground oatmeal or the larger varieties of rolled oats.
Some people also find eating porridge with a small portion of berries helps ( might be because citric acid lowers gi of foods eaten with it).
The final problem is that some people with type 2 have far greater insulin resistance in the morning.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Oats knock me for six - I know exactly what you mean when you say you lose whole days. I avoid 'em like the plague, now... (P.S - I tried lots of different types of oats, from steel cut, to rolled, to Ready Brek! The effect was the same on all of 'em...)

FordPrefect

I think everyone is different oats are great for me personally, wheat products not so much although I can tolerate grannery and burgen loaves ok. Pasta is good, same with potatoes but rice of any kind and I am in double figures. I once tested and was down at 4.2 before I ate, after a meal that was largely basmati rice I was up at 13.2 1 hour later. Although I find sometimes I eat something and it has little effect another time it puts me well up. Burgen bread being one of those things I really dont know why.

candyfloss

Dislikes
Processed foods and refined carbohydrates!
I had a cup of organic rolled oats (c40g) with half fat milk this morning, made with water + 1tsp of sugar and 1 hour later BG was 9.2. This was higher than it had been on previous occasions. It may have been the addition of sugar. In future I'll try a smaller portion of around 30g and add a sweetener instead of the sugar and see what that produces.
I dont normally eat oats anymore but as I was going to exercise in the gym later I thought some oats might provide the energy required!!
In fact 30 mins after the exercise (which lasted at least 45 minutes - walking and a little jogging) and 3 hours from b/fast my BG had dropped to 4.7

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
dogma
Invite your medics to observe the effect that oats have on you. I suspect they believe books and not patients, beccause It's perfectly possible for oats to have this effect.As others have already written.
I can't take them either.
Hana
Ps your medics might learn something. Show them these answers
PPS try a scrambled egg for breakfast.

FordPrefect

I think the problem is the one size fits all approach of the NHS and many diets. Ulltimately its your life I'd advise you to test a couple of times and see how it works or doesnt as the case maybe. Just watch out for manufactured cerials as they often contain extra sugar.

wallycorker

When I started testing I found that porridge was possibly the worst thing that I'd been eating. I no longer eat it or any other cereal hardly either! Healthcare professionals had all been telling me how good a food it was for a diabetic to eat. In fact, my GP had been trying to get me to eat porridge for lunch as well as breakfast. Quite amazing really!

As far as I am concerned, the message that all new Type 2s need to understand is the importance of cutting back on all starchy carbohydrates - i.e. cereals, bread, potatoes, pasta and rice. Doing that usually leads to a dramatic improvement in blood glucose levels.

In my opinion, from both my own personal experience but also from what I read on these diabetes forums, dietary changes are much more important than medication, weight loss and exercise in lowering the blood glucose levels of Type 2 diabetics

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
I can't have even a small quantity of rolled oats made with water and stay in my range either.
However I accidentally found that I can eat yummy slightly unripe mangos and my BG rises to about 5.4 one hour and is dropping at two hours! All fruit (except some berries) and especially tropical fruit are off limit if you follow Bernstein and want to stay under 5.1 but it just goes to show that you must test, test and test again. I am happy to go to 5.4 and treat myself once in a while. It is mango season here and it is hard to imagine Christmas without the smell of mangos and a little taste of them too!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
clearview. I don't eat much fruit, but when I do, I like it underripe. I like it to be a bit acidic.
Hana
PS I eat LOADS of salad and green veggies