Induction changed to caesarean!

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
OK so I am a type 1 diagnosed in 1986 at the age of 3. I have had laser treatment on my right eye in 2007. Then foot ulcers on both feet in 2008 healed by 2013. Also a charcot fracture in 2010 which happened whilst on holiday. This is an ongoing condition. But I still managed to have my beautiful girl in 2014 pretty conception was fab great support. So now here's the interesting bit at 30wks I had colistasis itching from head to toe and my bm's would not come down from 13. So I was scanned baby was fine liver was fine just a gallstone!! Then 3wks later I woke up busting for the loo my waters went. 33wks and 4days I rushed to the hospital only to wait 47hrs in agony b4 the consultant offered me a c-section which I swore I wouldn't have. Anyway they had me on a sliding scale just in case but I still had my pump attached during my c-section to my thigh. My baby girl was fine she weighed 6lb 9oz she has just turned 2. I am having a planned section next time planning to start pre conception early next year. I am sure everything will be fine and a tip for aftercare of your wound, wear a sanitary pad against your wound to stop your underwear rubbing. Hope this helps don't worry your not alone. Good luck
Thank you! I'm glad you and your daughter are okay.

The sanitary pad idea is great!!!

Good luck for next year.

Claire x

Reactions: 3 people

monimoni

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you! I'm glad you and your daughter are okay.

The sanitary pad idea is great!!!

Good luck for next year.

Claire x
Yeah we are fine and I had no problems with my wound oh and I did breast and bottle as my daughter was jaundice and had to be fed every 2hrs!! So I'd breastfeed 15mins each side then express straight after. My daughter was really good at latching on and a strong sucker!!never had problems breastfeeding and bottle used mam bottles. But all babies are different and don't worry too much. Xx

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah we are fine and I had no problems with my wound oh and I did breast and bottle as my daughter was jaundice and had to be fed every 2hrs!! So I'd breastfeed 15mins each side then express straight after. My daughter was really good at latching on and a strong sucker!!never had problems breastfeeding and bottle used mam bottles. But all babies are different and don't worry too much. Xx
Thank you, that's very reassuring!

X

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't panic @claire1991

I had a c section with my little boy, I was slightly different as I was on pens at the time and suffered terribly from dawn phenomena so I went in the night before and was put on a sliding scale (glucose and inclined drip) at my request, as the c section was scheduled early in the morning and I didn't want high sugars.

I took my blood testing kit in with me and was responsible for my own testing.

When my little boy was born he was 11lb1oz @38 weeks and his blood sugar was 1.1mmol so he was taken straight to special care. I didn't get the chance to breastfeed him as they needed to get his sugar up. It sounds scary but I was all prepared for it before hand. As azure said babies born of diabetic mothers are at higher risk of chest and breathing problems. My little boy did get a chest infection and had to stay in special care, but he was amazingly looked after and had suffered no ill effects from it. that's exciting for u X X X

Notorious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hiya. I had my baby by planned c-sec 4 years ago now.

1. Sorry, was still on mdi then. I had my normal basal but checked every 2 hours including in the night before. Was nil by mouth from midnight.

2. Didn't have any steroids. I was 37+3 on delivery. Her lungs were fine.

3. I tried very hard to breastfeed but my daughter would not latch and I ended up using a breast pump for 4 months. I would not recommend long-term pumping, pumps do not empty the breast as well as a baby and I had mastitis twice. Every baby is different and some of them don't know what they're doing :) would agree with 1Sarah1 about bottles and ready-made formula because they won't let you leave hospital until feeding is established and sometimes it takes a few days for milk to come in and breastfeeding to get going.

4. My bloods went back to pre-preg levels very soon after delivery. This is another thing the medical staff will want to see is under control before discharging you so take plenty of hypo treatments and test often.

Good luck with everything!

Reactions: 2 people

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hiya. I had my baby by planned c-sec 4 years ago now.

1. Sorry, was still on mdi then. I had my normal basal but checked every 2 hours including in the night before. Was nil by mouth from midnight.

2. Didn't have any steroids. I was 37+3 on delivery. Her lungs were fine.

3. I tried very hard to breastfeed but my daughter would not latch and I ended up using a breast pump for 4 months. I would not recommend long-term pumping, pumps do not empty the breast as well as a baby and I had mastitis twice. Every baby is different and some of them don't know what they're doing :) would agree with 1Sarah1 about bottles and ready-made formula because they won't let you leave hospital until feeding is established and sometimes it takes a few days for milk to come in and breastfeeding to get going.

4. My bloods went back to pre-preg levels very soon after delivery. This is another thing the medical staff will want to see is under control before discharging you so take plenty of hypo treatments and test often.

Good luck with everything!
Thanks very much :)

Claire x

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Claire, I wasn't diabetic when I gave birth but I have had several operations and I want to reassure you. You will go to sleep and when you wake up you will have a beautiful baby! You'll probably feel a bit sore but that won't last for ever. I'll be thinking of you on the day Claire. Anna

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Claire, I wasn't diabetic when I gave birth but I have had several operations and I want to reassure you. You will go to sleep and when you wake up you will have a beautiful baby! You'll probably feel a bit sore but that won't last for ever. I'll be thinking of you on the day Claire. Anna
Thanks Anna :) I'm hoping to stay awake for it. I've got a pre op on Friday so I'll know more then.
It's sunk in a bit more now and I'm not feeling so bad about it.
I've had a really bad pregnancy and have got Polyhydramnios (excess fluid) as well so I'm very uncomfortable and in quite a bit of pain in my back and things so at the moment I'm just hoping for a quick birth and a healthy baby at the end of it.
Being realistic I think with how poorly I've been feeling I think I would have struggled with a natural birth anyway.

I've even had morning sickness from 7 weeks and am still being sick multiple times a day now!

Just want it to be over and get my body back in all honesty!

Thanks for your kind message.

Claire x

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Ok I was wrong. I hope the epidural goes well, I Will be thinking of you Clare

Yuste

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey,

I wasn't on the pump so can't help with that.
I suggest you to watch the documentary Micro Birth. I used their advice when had a c-section and gave my baby girl a micro swab.
I am successfully breastfeeding. My baby is 10 months now. We had a skin to skin contact soon after she was taken from my belly, had her on me while docs were stitching me. Breastfed in an hour after birth. She hadn't had anything apart of my milk.
Was discharged from hospital the next day.
Sugars were dropping so i had a pile of sweets and fruits next to bed. Was getting hypos every time i breastfed. All got normal after a month or so.

Good luck and be positive! Soon you'll meet your baby! :)

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey,

I wasn't on the pump so can't help with that.
I suggest you to watch the documentary Micro Birth. I used their advice when had a c-section and gave my baby girl a micro swab.
I am successfully breastfeeding. My baby is 10 months now. We had a skin to skin contact soon after she was taken from my belly, had her on me while docs were stitching me. Breastfed in an hour after birth. She hadn't had anything apart of my milk.
Was discharged from hospital the next day.
Sugars were dropping so i had a pile of sweets and fruits next to bed. Was getting hypos every time i breastfed. All got normal after a month or so.

Good luck and be positive! Soon you'll meet your baby! :)
Thanks for that. Lovely story about your little girl, glad you're both doing well.

Did you have steroid injections?

X

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Interesting!!
I'd never heard of this before x

Have a Google. There have been some studies done on it, and it's an interesting idea. My consultant was talking about it - how the baby gets its friendly bacteria from the mum during a vaginal birth.

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Mmmm interesting about the swab @azure and @Yuste . This article after my twins were born, I wasn't aware you could do something like this. It has crossed my mind a couple of times if my 2yr olds type1 diagnosis was due to a fairly traumatic start-article says more at risk of auto immune. Just no way to know. I think a bit of a nervous wreck around expecting the twins to become diabetic-might sound a bit irrational but my little boy was so ill when he was born he has a weakened immune system anyway. I think I might have considered it had I know it was an option.

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just got off the phone to the ward and I've got to go in after my pre op this afternoon for my injections and will be in for at least 48 hours.

Looking forward to getting some time to put my feet up! x

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just got off the phone to the ward and I've got to go in after my pre op this afternoon for my injections and will be in for at least 48 hours.

Looking forward to getting some time to put my feet up! x
Hi @claire1991 i would recommend ear plugs for your stay pre birth means you an rest whilst your on a ward unless you have a room x

Reactions: 5 people

sleepyheadzzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Had a scan today (36 weeks) and my baby is measuring 10.4lbs so the doctor has changed my induction to a caesarean instead.

I've got my pre op this Friday ready for the operation next Friday.

I've never had an operation before so I don't know what to expect.

Can anybody enlighten me please?

I'd like to know
1. What do I do with my pump during the procedure? I'll attach it to my back so that its out of the way but do I run a normal basal or change it?

2. Steroid injections. Could somebody explain these to me please? I'm aware that I need to stay in overnight for this. Is it one night or more than one? Again, basal rate?

3. Has anybody successfully breastfed after a section?

4. How did your bloods behave after the section? Were there more hypos or highs?

Sorry about the long complicated post, I'm struggling to get my head around things. The doctor said that if I try to give birth naturally then there is a high risk the babies shoulder will get stuck which could lead to loss of oxygen and brain damage so my head is in a bit of a swim after hearing that.
I'd just about got used to what happens in an induction and now I've got to get my head around this instead!

Thanks in advance
Claire x

Hi Claire, you've got a lot of good responses but I'll just add my own experience. FYI, I'm in Canada so some of the procedures and terms might be a bit different.

I had a scheduled c-section 4.5 months ago when my little one was 38+6 weeks. He was born at 7lbs 4oz and I had an otherwise healthy pregnancy (I've been T1 for 20 years).

1) My endocrinologist wanted me to go on a sliding scale for the c-section, but I made the decision with my OB to use my pump. My endo and I determined my post-pregnancy rates 2 weeks before I delivered and I programmed them into my pump ahead of time. I actually dropped them more than she suggested, probably close to 50% total drop.

I changed to the new, lower rates, the morning I woke up for the section around 8AM.

The surgical team knew I was wearing a pump and I put the infusion set in my back and kept the pump clipped to the very top of my gown. My section was at 11:30AM and my OB told me I could drink clear fluids if I went low in the hours beforehand (wasn't necessary). I tested my bloodsugar probably every 20 minutes or so because I was so nervous about going low.

When they put the spinal in, and it started to take effect the sensation in my body reminded me of being low so they gave me something to slow my heart rate and let me test again. Every time I tested I was fine. My husband held the meter after they let him in the OR.

2) I was far enough along steroids weren't necessary.

3) I was not able to successfully breastfeed. I have flat nipples so he couldn't latch anyway, but my milk took 4 days to come in. Baby had low bloodsugar as soon as I delivered so he needed formula ASAP, which my husband gave him. I had a bad reaction to the spinal (I'd never had anesthesia before) and was very sick, nauseous, and throwing up for about 12 hours after. I barely held the baby but honestly didn't care because I was so out of it and needed to keep checking my own sugars.

The hospital had pumps, and I did try to use them, but I was only ever able to get 1ml of colostrum, and nothing else came out. Baby had low bloodsugars so we ended up staying in hospital for 4 days and had to feed him formula every 2-3 hours and the nurses had to test his sugar before every single feed.

I ended up exclusively pumping and just stopped 2 weeks ago. Honestly, I didn't find pumping to be too bad and will probably do it with future children. I used a double electric and was able to keep up with babies supply for the most part and supplemented with formula otherwise. It was nice having my husband be able to do night feeds right from the start.

4) The day of the section, my sugars were perfect. The days after, I was low like crazy. I put granola bars, dex tabs, and juice boxes all over my house and I brought tons to the hospital and went through most of it. Every day after the section for about a week I had to keep lowering my basal rates.

Sorry for the wall of text - let me know if you have any other specific questions. Good luck!