Post pregnancy pump site

nmb264

Hello

I have a healthy little 16 week old boy however mummy is not doing well.

I just cannot get a grip of my diabetes. No matter what I do I'm in the teens and 20s. Could it be my abdomen isn't absorbing the insulin well now that I had a c section? I actually have my first hospital appointment soon and dread my hba1c

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi there
sorry you are feeling poorly with the D :(

I can't specifically answer that query -- I do know that when I had my appendix out my D consultant told me to completely avoid the area surrounding the scar as absorption would be poor

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello

I have a healthy little 16 week old boy however mummy is not doing well.

I just cannot get a grip of my diabetes. No matter what I do I'm in the teens and 20s. Could it be my abdomen isn't absorbing the insulin well now that I had a c section? I actually have my first hospital appointment soon and dread my hba1c

Possibly - or at least, the skin on your tummy may have changed so absorption will be different.

Have you tried a different place on your body? I no longer use my tummy now. I use my bum (top) or my thighs. It took me a while to adjust to using a different body place (I had to change set type and cannula length) but now I'm very happy and my blood sugars are good.

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hiya my twins just 6m now and after a lot of lows I now seem to be on the higher side. I had a section too. I think it's after I stopped expressing as much and so busy running round with 3 small children and the stress. Is there a pattern to yours? Do you need to adjust your basal rate or carb ratio perhaps? xx

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
Are you having hypos too? Are you breastfeeding? My baby is now 14 weeks and i felt i was getting this too although with hypos. I wrote out a weeks results in chart form and identified where to tweak basal and carb ratios and it improved. I only did that 2 wks before my hospital appt and my hba1c was 6.5.

I'm now taking a months holiday from the pump to give my sites a chance to recover and work out what i want to do. I'm on day 5 and i can't wait to go back and can't believe i've lived like this for somany years. When i end my holiday i'm going to have to bite the bullet and find a way to get on with other sites.

Try a different site and see if it's better. If not have a look at your numbers and try and identify where it's going wrong.

Reactions: 2 people

nmb264

I moved it to the top of my bum again which isn't ideal as it catches on my clothes more but my bgs have been a lot lower. When I spoke to the hospital they said stay a few centimetres from the scar which I had done so maybe my skin has just changed just like the rest of my body after the pregnancy

I don't eat great and I am bad at grabbing and going. The consultant was so understanding though which was great at she herself had kids and understood you eat what you can when you can!

I've never tried my thighs...makes me a little anxious.

Thanks for all your input x

Reactions: 7 people

sleepyheadzzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Someone else asked about breastfeeding. I've been experiencing spikes the last 2 weeks and just clued in that it's because I'm weaning from pumping. I re-adjusted all my basal rates 2 days ago and things have been much better.