Help please

Granny Jill

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi my granddaughter aged 9 was diagnosed last week with type 1 diabetes. I really can't get my head around the carb counting is it really necessary. She comes every weekend and loves my home cooking do I need to weigh all her food. Thank you

Matthew-G-Bell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People walking slowly in hallways.
Hello, welcome to the forum!

As irritating as it is, carb counting is important as it ensures that she will recieve the right amount of insulin. There are many guides on carb counting online, and I'm sure some of the admins from this forum (@noblehead) can help you!

Reactions: 2 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Granny Jill
Welcome to the forum - yes it's absolutely necessary to carb count to ensure she takes the right amount of insulin, if she doesn't take the right amount of insulin then she can have a hypo which she would have to treat with fast acting glucose such as jelly babies or fruit juice or she will run high and become tired and miserable and need to take more insulin. Her condition is very much like walking a tight rope. It will take some getting used to but once you understand carb counting it will get easier. You can download an app on your phone called 'carbs and cals' which is very useful for understanding carb content of foods. Please also shout if we can help with anything you are unsure about ;)

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Granny Jill - it's a lot to cope with not just for your granddaughter but for the whole family - it's complicated and confusing to begin with but with experience and practice not just the carb counting but everything else will make sense and become easier, honestly it will.

Carb counting is a pivotal tool in diabetes management and has a direct correlation to insulin requirements. Over time it will get easier and will become second nature. It won't happen overnight, though, so be prepared for - and give yourself permission for - some challenges, some arithmetical hiccups and some unexpected results from time to time. These will all feature and are normal - heck, it's a big thing, after all, and it won't be perfect every time at least to start with. It's so worth it, though, to start right now.

You will get there, though. It's a good idea at this stage to get to know what doesn't need to be counted, as well, so there are treats and staple food items available without the faff of counting. Eggs, cheese, meat, nibbly things like celery, leafy green veg, a few nuts, sugar-free jelly, are all potentially tempting items which don't contain carbs. And there are plenty more than just those I've mentioned.

Hang on in there - you're in it together and the hard work at this stage will definitely pay off not only now but in the long term too. It DOES get easier.

I was 11 when I was diagnosed so I have huge empathy with your granddaughter. Hope she's doing okay.

:)

Little_Lucy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You don't have to weigh it but it is necessary of you want better results in blood sugar but because she dosent see you very often like everyday then if you use the carbs and cals book then you can just estimate it and depending on how long she's there for (at your house) test her blood sugar two hours later just too make sure. (If you don't have the carbs and cals book you can get it on Amazon or some of the diabetes websites