Type 1 why cant obese get help like anorexics do ?

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bossy people
Hi everyone,
i have been diabetic for 16 yrs, i am now 55 yrs and scared, i suffer from depression and now take an anti depressant permanently.
i believe i have an eating disorder, i hide to eat and sometimes i am eating and crying at the same time thinking why am i doing this? At least with alcoholism you can stop drinking alcohol, we all need to eat.
mostly i am just ashamed and believe all the negative hype that i am disgusting and harming myself, i dont know why cuz i wold never think badly of others in the same situation,
i look after my disabled husband and elderly mum who both live with me , i work as a nurse with people who have dementia and i love it, i have all the time in the world for people with mental health problems but am now struggling with working and being a carer. i have to admit a little bit of me is thinking where is the help for me? ive always helped others.
Oh dear that all sounds like one great big sulky rant sorry everyone but i am near the end of my tether, people seem so mean and accusatory.
carolyn

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bossy people

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @carolynmaria139 - sending a hug - listen, you've done great to identify and accept that there is a problem - that's brilliant, and that's a difficult first step. There is so much support on this forum so you've come to the right place. Eating issues plus diabetes is a double whammy, each affecting the other - and I agree that it's really, really hard. I've had trouble with food in the past.

A while ago I read a book published by the group 'Overeaters Anonymous' - I found it really, really useful. It was a collection of accounts from a huge variety of people, and they all wrote their stories from the heart. I think I must've found it on Amazon.

Like others have said, I'd recommend going to see a sympathetic GP at your local practice, and ask for support and suggestions. Don't punish yourself. You have a very busy and challenging life, and you do brilliant things for other people. Just don't forget the YOU part of the caring equation.

Do keep us posted - and welcome to the forum.

:)

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It does sound like you need some counselling from an organisation such as Mind? As you may know your GP can refer you or you can self-refer. When you do eat, try to avoid the 'nice' carby foods and go for meat, fish and so on i.e. proteins and fats as they will help reduce the carb highs and then lows which add to the need to eat.