Pregnant and terrified

Jenny_B_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I've started this post several times and then deleted it feeling stupid. I'm type 1 diabetic 23 years and am currently 17 weeks pregnant and terrified. The pregnancy was unplanned As such finding out was a big shock, my hbA1c was ridiculously high @ 9.6 I obviously had not been taking folic acid prior to finding out either and after reading about the many possible complications that could occur have become convinced there will most likely be something wrong with the baby. I have been working really hard to keep my blood sugar down but have seriously struggled to get into the 'perfect range' even after lots of bolus ratio and basal changes suggested by my dsn. At the 12 week scan I was told everything looks ok but the most they could tell me was the baby has a head arms and legs and was OK in size. I've been reading lots of the threads on the forum and have felt much better knowing that some people have also had high blood sugar and have gone on to have healthy babies but don't think I've seen anyone with one as high as mine .....can't help but be terrified about the possible consequences of mine on the baby and have very mixed emotions about the 20 week scan which isn't for another 3 weeks. I don't know as yet what my current hbA1c is having only had my blood taken again last week. So currently feeling and scared.

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hiya @Jenny_B_ don't worry yourself too much otherwise things will be even worse. When did you find out you were pregnant? As long as you are doing what you can now that's the main things. I think as a type1 you are going to feel anxious through pregnancy (I did for both of mine). I have been type1 since I was 2 and it's hard. You just need to take a day at a time and when the 20w scan is done they can tell you then whether things look ok. There are risks in every pregnancy. You are doing the right thing in trying to keep your sugars down. Are you on a pump? I couldn't have been through mine without and my 2yr old also diagnosed type1 a couple of months ago and she is on a pump too. I find it helps with control. Big hug x

Reactions: 2 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Jenny, don't feel stupid and please don't stress, you are doing the best you can and that is all you can do.

I agree with what Sarah said about having a pump, it has made my adjustments in pregnancy so much easier as my insulin needs change so fast and sometimes very drastically.

I've been diabetic nearly 27 years and do go through worrying phases about if my baby will be ok but then I try to remind myself so many people have been though this and have been fine, plus worrying won't help anything :)

Jenny_B_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you both for your responses, unfortunately I'm not on a pump I have asked to be put on one but the consultant said its not a good idea right now. I found out at around 6 weeks and was given folic acid from 7 weeks I am also taking aspirin now (given from 12 weeks) I am attending diabetic antenatal clinic every 4 weeks but to be honest they just send me in and out of different rooms writing things down then let me go, when I ask questions I'm given short answers and told not to worry. The dsn is nice and makes suggestions to help me keep my sugars down but after a few weeks I lose control again which leads to lots of correction doses, I really expected to be seen more frequently I carb count so find it stressful when meals I was fine with one week seem to throw me out a week later:confused: I also seem to be waking up higher than I should be even though I've increased my levemir several times :( thanks again for your kind words I'll keep working on it suppose time will tell. (Patience is not one of my strongest qualities unfortunately) Xx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey! I've been diabetic 19 years now! I fell pregnant just like yourself wasn't trying and I only found out because I went to the doctors thinking i had a urine infection. My control was terrible HBA1C of above 10. I found out when I was approx 2 weeks pregnant so could start folic acid. I attended my pregnancy clinic every week until I got my levels down a good bit then I went every 2 weeks. My pregnancy was hard work with trying to keep in control and going high. (I'm also on a insulin pump). Only issue I had towards the end was I had lots of fluid. I had a planned section at 37+1, my baby boy was born weight 8lb 6oz. Try and get them down as much as possible as that's what can cause us to have bigger babies. He's now nearly 2 and a diabetic himself using a insulin pump!

I found testing often helped a lot! You can only do your best! Xx

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
T1 without pregnancy is hard anyway Jenny. Hormones are all over the place. I was forever testing including couple of times every night. Things change a lot. I used to test half hour after food make sure I was on track. I tested loads more second time with my twins (now 7m) as wasn't sure if my bloods would be even more erratic with them.
I would go back and ask why it's not a good idea for a pump now. Maybe check the NICE guidance for pump use in pregnancy. I'm pretty sure you are supposed to be seen fortnightly (again look at the NICE guidance). Try eat low GI foods to stop peaks too xx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hiya @Jenny_B_ don't worry yourself too much otherwise things will be even worse. When did you find out you were pregnant? As long as you are doing what you can now that's the main things. I think as a type1 you are going to feel anxious through pregnancy (I did for both of mine). I have been type1 since I was 2 and it's hard. You just need to take a day at a time and when the 20w scan is done they can tell you then whether things look ok. There are risks in every pregnancy. You are doing the right thing in trying to keep your sugars down. Are you on a pump? I couldn't have been through mine without and my 2yr old also diagnosed type1 a couple of months ago and she is on a pump too. I find it helps with control. Big hug x

Hi Sarah

This has caught my attention greatly. How old was your little one when she was diagnosed? My little boy was 16 months when diagnosed he is on an insulin pump too! I haven't really heard of many who have diabetic children on pumps. Myself and son both pump!

Jenny_B_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you Sarah and Hollie I was very nice of you to reassure me I am trying my absolute best but think I will check the guidance and ask again about the pump anything to try to make things a little easier would be a blessing, I'm very grateful for your responses and to hear that you both had your babies safely.
I am of course sorry to hear that you both have little ones with type 1 we all know how hard it can be, hopefully as they are so young and already have pumps they will be able to manage perfectly well as they go through they're lives and with such experienced mums by their sides. Thank you again lots of love to you :happy:

Erin85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jenny, I am also t1 and am 18 weeks pregnant. Although it sounds as though our pregnancies started slightly differently ( my husband and I were trying to conceive and so I was actively trying to get my hba1c down to the target range), I am now really struggling to control my bg levels.

I'm sorry that I can't offer any great advice or guidance, but I just wanted to comment on your thread to let you know that you are not alone. The only thing you can do is test lots and know that you are trying your best, although this doesn't make it any less frustrating. The ladies on here have been a great support to me and will be able to offer you fantastic advice and comfort.

I hope you have a happy and healthy pregnancy, and look forward to hearing about your 20week scan :) all the best x x

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi again Jenny, defo ask again about a pump and if they brush it off or say it's not best at the moment, ask why they are saying that, everyone that has had babies on this forum and has had a pump has found things much more manageable, I've learned recently you need to push more for answers if you don't feel like you are getting the right care, also the same for your appointments, I am seen every fortnight which is changing to weekly now I'm later in pregnancy, I know many hospitals do things differently but I've not heard of anyone having monthly appointments, it makes no sense to have them so far apart especially when you are struggling with bg control.. Could you phone your DSN on Monday if you are not due back soon and ask about being seen sooner and more often? Do let us know how you get on xx

Reactions: 4 people

Jenny_B_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the support everyone I will contact my dsn next week and update you all on the response I get. And thanks Erin it's nice to know I'm not alone bizarrely I don't know anyone else who is diabetic and has had children it would probably be a good idea for the antenatal clinic to set up a support group for local people who want to meet up with those with a mutual understanding of the worries we have, good luck to you too :) xx

Reactions: 4 people

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the support everyone I will contact my dsn next week and update you all on the response I get. And thanks Erin it's nice to know I'm not alone bizarrely I don't know anyone else who is diabetic and has had children it would probably be a good idea for the antenatal clinic to set up a support group for local people who want to meet up with those with a mutual understanding of the worries we have, good luck to you too :) xx
I live in a big city @Jenny_B_ and was told that out of a 650 caseload (t1/t2/gestational) there was maybe only 20 tops t1s at various stages of pregnancy. I did say it would be good to have a network but not sure that's happened yet. I really struggled having my daughter as felt very isolated. Second time I knew more what to expect and used this forum a lot xx

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Sarah

This has caught my attention greatly. How old was your little one when she was diagnosed? My little boy was 16 months when diagnosed he is on an insulin pump too! I haven't really heard of many who have diabetic children on pumps. Myself and son both pump!
Hi @Hollieandethan my daughter had just turned 2 when she was diagnosed when my twins were a few weeks old (they were prem). It's all been very hard!! x

PaleoWithMrsP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Ignorance
Hi
I've started this post several times and then deleted it feeling stupid. I'm type 1 diabetic 23 years and am currently 17 weeks pregnant and terrified. The pregnancy was unplanned As such finding out was a big shock, my hbA1c was ridiculously high @ 9.6 I obviously had not been taking folic acid prior to finding out either and after reading about the many possible complications that could occur have become convinced there will most likely be something wrong with the baby. I have been working really hard to keep my blood sugar down but have seriously struggled to get into the 'perfect range' even after lots of bolus ratio and basal changes suggested by my dsn. At the 12 week scan I was told everything looks ok but the most they could tell me was the baby has a head arms and legs and was OK in size. I've been reading lots of the threads on the forum and have felt much better knowing that some people have also had high blood sugar and have gone on to have healthy babies but don't think I've seen anyone with one as high as mine .....can't help but be terrified about the possible consequences of mine on the baby and have very mixed emotions about the 20 week scan which isn't for another 3 weeks. I don't know as yet what my current hbA1c is having only had my blood taken again last week. So currently feeling and scared.
Hi Jenny, first of all try not to panic as being worried is not healthy for you or the baby! I am 22 weeks pregnant with my first and the 20 week scan was very good at putting my mind to rest a little- it is a lot more in detail then the 12 week and they can tell you a lot more too. Hopefully your hba1c will be much lower once your bloods come back. As far as I have been told by my DSN obviously having good sugar control is v important throughout for feral development BUT the baby starts using your blood supply from 24 weeks and so that's when the higher sugars will really affect it if you have them. I hope I have said that correctly and maybe best to double check but that's my understanding. you can only do the best you can and so just keep going! I also have a scan at 24 weeks which apparently is what all diabetics have as its a heart scan so we are well monitored. I was prescribed 75mg aspirin to take too since 13 weeks pregnant to prevent pre eclampsia- if you don't take it maybe ask your obsetrition. I wish you the very best, it is a worry of course but try to be optimistic and excited because you're having a baby.

Cathn61may

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
people who think they know it all
I have 3 perfect healthy sons aged 31, 25 and 14 . Diagnosed with Type 1 age 6 49 years ago. Excellent antenatal care saw Obstetrician and Diabetic Consultant every week.

Reactions: 3 people

Janet_rabbit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
intolerance, hatred, fighting
Hi Jenny, I understand how you feel - pregnancy is a very stressful time and the stress itself can make sugars go all over the place! It's natural to be very anxious, but hopefully you can feel supported by hearing about successful pregnancies. I've been type 1 for 40 years and now have a healthy 15 year old daughter. I have always found it very hard to control my BG - they often just seem to go up and down for no reason and I had to do so many tests during pregnancy that my fingers were very bruised by the end! Even with constant adjustments to insulin levels compensate for hormone changes and changing appetite, my Hba1c was a wee bit higher than it should have been during the pregnancy. The plan was to have a Caesarean but she decided to come out early at 38 weeks. My BG was only 3.1 during labour which was quite scary, but it all worked out well in the end. I didn't have a pump during the pregnancy but have one now and find it is a big help with adjusting sugars quickly and especially for averting hypos. Maybe your DSN could arrange some Continuous Glucose monitoring for you to see if there are any times when the sugar is running high on a regular basis? I got myself a Freestyle Libre because my fingers need a wee break from frequent blood testing. It is too expensive to use all the time, but it has helped me make useful adjustments to try to control my sugar levels a bit more.

Clairewinn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, t1 and 25 weeks pregnant and in my 2nd child, first pregnancy was awful 5 years ago as unplanned and had very bad control this time planned and better control but still have funny turns, my first child was born 9.3 by c-section and is perfectly healthy I had very bad control but she was fine, it comes with experience just keep trying your best and attending your appointments, I don't get in with consultants as nothing is ever good enough in there eyes, I have a rough figure of 8 for sugars and that still isn't good enough for them, they just read it from a book so don't take stress to much xxx

Jd040767

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Jenny_B_
I was just wondering how you've gotten along since your scans?
I'm approx 4/5 weeks along now and like you this is unplanned and my hbA1c was 9.7!!
Xx

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Jenny_B_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jenny_B_
I was just wondering how you've gotten along since your scans?
I'm approx 4/5 weeks along now and like you this is unplanned and my hbA1c was 9.7!!
Xx

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum
Hi
I haven't been updating this thread for a while because I've been in a tailspin since our 20 week scan, unfortunately we were told that our little ones heart is on the wrong side of his chest because he has a growth known as a ccam/bps on his left lung, after many appointments at the leading hospitals I am assured that this has nothing to do with my diabetes and is a rare congenital abnormality which does occur mostly in women who don't have diabetes. Apparently it's a survivable condition which is now being closely monitored so that decisions can be made about the necessity of surgery after he is born. So now we have two serious conditions to monitor :( my blood sugars have vastly improved since my last test hbA1C is now 7.1 so much better but still considered high, day to day management is a constant battle currently strictly carb counting by way of weighing and measuring everything and keeping sweet treats to a minimum.
Congratulations and good luck it is very scary I know just take it day by day and make sure you are being looked after by your diabetic and obstetrics team and all should be well for you.
Feel free to contact me again if you have any further questions.
Xxxx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Jenny_B_ I'm so sorry to hear your little one has a health issue. I suppose the one positive thing is that it's been spotted and it sounds like you've received good information and will be carefully monitored.

I can imagine how frightening it must be, and how stressful.

Sending you my very best wishes XX