Disappointing Consultant Review

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes :P having to eat food in moderation
So today I went for my second appointment since diagnosis of type 1 diabetes back in july last year.I've been off of insulin since sept of last year my last 2 hba1c's have been 5.7% and 6.1%.I told him that certain meals spike me high and that I've been taking insulin to cover the odd meal which he told me to stop taking,which I'm not going too tbh,its working for me atm so why stop it right??also he told me to test only once a day!!!!!once a day!!!! how is that going to help me?!?!?!?!my past 2 hba1c 5.7% and 6.1% I achieved through dropping to 100 carb and 30 mile run a week .he basically said because your hba1c are within normal range to go as a normal person,ok then!! I'd love to go as a normal person,eat whatever whenever I want that'd be great!!! but I can't.I was hoping that he'd had said,yeah a doing great continue as you are but I feel that he's told me what I am doing now is wrong,I'm felt a little down after seeing him tbh :(

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Difficult to say at what point you are at? Could be still in a honeymoon period? There's nothing wrong in taking a small dose of Rapid at meals where your blood sugar may go high and you have previous experience with that insulin and food. If the low HBa1c continues you could agree with the consultant to stop the insulin and just take Gliclazide or whatever? You should be so lucky!

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi. Difficult to say at what point you are at? Could be still in a honeymoon period? There's nothing wrong in taking a small dose of Rapid at meals where your blood sugar may go high and you have previous experience with that insulin and food. If the low HBa1c continues you could agree with the consultant to stop the insulin and just take Gliclazide or whatever? You should be so lucky!

ya honeymooning ,ya thats the reason I've added insulin at certain meals through experiencing highs on no insulin :)

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
He may be the medical "professional" but you're the expert of your own diabetes. If what your doing is working for you then continue. Mark it down as experience and move on :)

Ya totally agree,no1 knows me like me right ;)

Reactions: 5 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
absolutely no one know you like yourself -- you carry on dude !!!!!!!!!!!!:)
shame you had a down day at the consultants though

Reactions: 2 people

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
absolutely no one know you like yourself -- you carry on dude !!!!!!!!!!!!:)
shame you had a down day at the consultants though

Ya I'm over it now bud,thnx for your reply ;)

Reactions: 3 people

Nayera2003

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having bad health
Same happens with my consultant she keeps saying I should take insuline even when my blood sugar is good without she goes like if you took insulin this 6 would have been 5. Like seriously !? Thanx and hope you all a good evening.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry you had a disappointing sesh, wiserkurtious. It's always a letdown. But don't let it get you down for long, and no, don'y stop doing what works for you.

Reactions: 4 people

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sorry you had a disappointing sesh, wiserkurtious. It's always a letdown. But don't let it get you down for long, and no, don'y stop doing what works for you.

ty I'm over it now and I've taken no notice of what he had to say tbh,its all working fine for me my numbers are good so why change anything thats my thinking :)

Reactions: 4 people

sl0042

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The last meeting with a consultant was a complete waste of my time; I mentioned certain things but got no reply.
She seemed more ntent in sorting out the date/time on my meter.
I feel cheated; I would have thought seeing a consultant would be useful & beneficial to me to help control my diabetes.
I now have to wait another 6 months.
This is the first time this has happened & I hope it does not happen again.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
So you are T1 and the Docs telling you you don't need to inject insulin! I have never heard that before.

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
So you are T1 and the Docs telling you you don't need to inject insulin! I have never heard that before.

Honeymooning,was on slow acting when first diagnosed but gradually come off it all together

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The last meeting with a consultant was a complete waste of my time; I mentioned certain things but got no reply.
She seemed more ntent in sorting out the date/time on my meter.
I feel cheated; I would have thought seeing a consultant would be useful & beneficial to me to help control my diabetes.
I now have to wait another 6 months.
This is the first time this has happened & I hope it does not happen again.

Ya mines in 9 months